WA Perth - Inner City and Western Suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 1st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

For those who have been watching closely..... are we now seeing early sign of recovery, inner city and western suburbs??

I will speak for inner city, well located period homes are flying out the door, lower/entry price point.... so its dependent on product, apartments a different story

Thoughts

Its nice to read something positive on Perth market

When the Perth property market recovers, these are the areas that will bounce back first

pilbrob, Scaphella and JKB like this.
  2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

I've been watching and attending home opens for inner city houses (Mount Lawley, North Perth, Maylands, Inglewood , Yokine, Highgate etc) on lots > 400sqm under $1.1m for over 12 months every week and anything priced well is now selling at first home open with multiple offers. Nothing unrenovated was moving 6 months ago but now that has changed due to the shortage of stock on the market and the flurry of renovaters hitting the market. This is because I have seen multiple examples of 6months flips turning a 150k to 400k profit as most upgrades want something shiny and new and will pay for it.
    From the top of my head 13 Nelson St Inglewood purchased for 599k and sold for 1.125m after a 150k renovation or 106 Seventh Ave Maylands.

Buyers are still staying away from busy / main roads and houses located near schools or 70s flats but even that is starting to change.

pilbrob, icic, JohnPropChat and 4 others like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Some big numbers there

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

5. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Not surprising at all. Inner city has been doing well. Prices from last year are well and truly gone. My blocks in Vic Park bought in the last 18 months have double digit increase in valuations so happy camper here.

Propin, icic, charttv and 4 others like this.
  6. chesterfield

chesterfield Well-Known Member

Good post! A friend of mine was just telling me he attended an auction before the end of the year for an old house in mt hawthorn that almost sold for $780k before a Sydney buyer jumped in and ended up picking it up over $900k! I think with these low interest rates, improved economy and interest from Sydney/Melb (overpriced, fires etc, similar wage jobs in WA) we will see most of the suburbs mentioned by big daddy in the $1mil range very soon. Also rental stocks are becoming critical, has to result in something! Finally a good 2020 ahead

pilbrob and charttv like this.
  7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Nice article. It appears a universal consensus has now formed among property 'experts' that Perth will experience a gradual, measured and modest recovery over the next few years. No booming double digit price growth etc should be expected they all say.

Given the track records of those who make public predictions about the Perth property market, this makes me very excited.

charttv likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi BD
    Have you purchased anything yet? Just curious
    If you care to share

9. JohnPropChat

That is true for Perth as a whole but the next boom is going to start inner ring and then ripple out so ride the wave with stock in inner ring and then continue buying outwards

Propin likes this.
  10. Big Daddy

I have put in a few offers but nothing accepted yet. I'm working with an agent for a property in mount Lawley.

I'm looking for unrenovated so I don't pay a huge premium. Plus there is so many 1m plus homes with really cheap and dodgy renovations.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, if you have to do another reno you have then paid too much

12. icic

icic Well-Known Member

that's great news! I have a investment there too and brought it about 2 years ago, just curious on which street or area in Vic part is your block located if you don't mind sharing?

JohnPropChat likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I wouldn't say snapped if you were meaning that it went quickly. That one has been stagnating on market for quite awhile as there were some better buys at the time which all went under offer. This one has probably sold at a discount or because there is so little stock now bought by someone for a PPOR type buy.

Location: very close to Inglewood Primary which is a nice draw card but close to the Bedford border so not prime Inglewood

Listing history for it's 127 days on market - and lessons about pricing
    31/8/19 $799-849k Me: started to high. Although good family block close to the primary school it's not prime Inglewood and not an over $800k site
    12/9/19 Offers over $799 Me: really is no different to the starting price. Evidently Sellers set on price
    6/12/19 Offers over $779 Me: 4mths in and really only a $20k price drop. Listing now stale and off radars
    18/12/19 Marked Under Offer

As it's a good suburb and there is the possibility of putting a block in the rear and keeping the house I had been watching this one. It didn't really stack up for my standards though but I kept and eye on it and was considering that a client should make a low ball before Christmas to try and get the vendors at their most motivated time to accept a low ball - low ball being what I considered good value and might not be what they wanted - around $750k

Will be interesting to see what is went under contract for.

Danyool, JohnPropChat and MTR like this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The $750-850k PPOR and development market in the area has been doing well if priced keenly. The trouble with some of the sites I'm watching is that PPOR types are hard to compete against when trying to get a small development site (duplex/retain and build). They will always have deeper pockets and not need to worry about feasibilities. For a PPOR buyer they are upgrading into good areas as the best time.

MTR likes this.
  16. QbiK Evolution

QbiK Evolution Well-Known Member

I was watching a small 2bed place in Bassendean on 400m2. Sold for 275k. They did a substantial Reno probably 150 to 200k and sold it a year later for 675k

Propin, Empire and MTR like this.
  17. JohnPropChat

Vic Park is a small inner city suburb. Best stock is between Albany Hwy and Berwick St which borders onto Kensington, I call this "Vic Park West" and that is where I bought.

pilbrob and icic like this.
  18. Big Daddy

Agent said $1.1m will do it.
    It needs a full reno so i feel it has value in the mid to upper 9s.

MTR likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Considering block size I would agree

Lets see what it goes for

20. Big Daddy

Would you go past McMillian st? Also how busy is McMillian st?

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.