[Perth] Building designer/broker referral

Discussion in 'Development' started by hematite, 9th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Looking for someone to refer me to a good building designer/broker to design and build a 4x2 in Perth on a standard block. Would look to tender this out via the broker/designer to a builder also Has anyone got any recommendations that I should shortlist?

2. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

personaly not sure I would bother going to tender for such a project. Better of engaging with a small builder directly and get them to do the design/build.

You aren't going to save much by going to tender, and can probably get more bang for your buck by working the design with your builder.

Blacky

Sackie and boeman like this.
  3. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

+1 there unless it's a larger and more detailed home.

4. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I saw you quoted me and thought 'damn. Should have given you an unscrupulous referral"

But glad to see you agree with me.

5. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

I also agree. Depending on the scope of your project I can certainly point you in the right direction.

Aaron Sice likes this.
  6. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

If you want to go custom design and tender, I'd pick a drafty and pay them to do the design. You can write up the spec yourself and put them out to tender. This was my first instinct when I went to build, but...

I used a building broker for my PPOR, only because I'd heard so many horror stories about so many builders here in Perth, building during the boom. (Note you only ever really hear about the handful of horror stories, not so much about the ones that go well)

Should have stuck with my gut.

hematite likes this.
  7. hematite

Thanks all. What kind of construction contract value would you say would be the approx minimum for tendering out?

8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

No minimum. If a builder wants the work they'll price it, if they don't they won't, or they'll add stupid markup.

The fun part is deciphering the each bid so you can make a realistic comparison between them all.

9. hematite

Thanks, it was more directed at those who said it's not worth tendering out a 4x2. I'd be looking at building a double storey one.

10. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

If youre worried about price comparison maybe try a building broker like New Home Building Brokers? They're pretty good and their principal designer has a display home career for a few builders under his belt.

Otherwise without posting up your budget and brief it becomes a bit difficult to point you in the right direction. I like Express Two Storey (partly because I work there) but my new team and I are responsible for a lot of their upcoming new product and I'm yet to find better value anywhere at the minute in the project market; and I've worked with and for a lot of builders.

11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use a building broker. They include their cost into the bid, which you ultimately pay for. Spending $30-50k like that may be worth while for a million dollar plus build. Not a standard 4x2.

Go speak direct to some builders direct And feel them out.
    Now is a great time to be building.

A 2story 4x2 is probably around the $300-400k mark depending on 1,000 factors.
    Your just adding uneccesary costs and complexity by outsourcing it.
    If you already own the land your holding costs alone will be eating more than you will 'save'.

Blacky

12. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with a broker? If you have DA then their ~2% commission comes from the builder (built into the contract ) but no DA then you pay direct.

Either way don't you still pay the 2% commission because if you went direct the 2% fee would still go the builder rep?

13. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

@hematite I can help with a referal.

Got a 3x2 design (150sqm) for a retain and build going out to tender via a building broker next week so Im sure they can accomodate a 4x2.

PM or email me for contact details.

14. hematite

Thanks for your post Blacky, good to hear your experiences. Previously I used a broker and the cost was 1.5% but the DA was a little complicated so it helped (builders couldn't help with that build).

I'd be replacing an original house, so no holding costs whilst we plan (of course I don't want to waste time though).
    Yes, I have. I paid 1.5% previously. I would say this 1.5% is additional to the contract price, but who knows how it turns out in the end.

Thanks Colin - do you recommend this broker? Would be good to have a chat.