Pepper Money finally offers Fixed rate products

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Rolf Latham, 21st Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Pepper Money finally offers Fixed rate products on their higher servicing Pepper Money and White Label platform

Better late than never.

ta
    rolf

[​IMG]
    Introducing fixed rates
    Effective 29 June 2022
    Following broker feedback, we're introducing a fixed interest rate option to our home loan product.

This new home loan option offers customers greater flexibility with market-leading features such as no break fees and no limits on additional payments. In addition to being able to fix their loan for 2, 3 or 5 years, customers can also choose a fixed interest rate of 7 or 10 years, giving them more certainty about their repayments for longer.

melbourne171 and oracle like this.
  2. NickClunes

NickClunes Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Finally!

3. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Rolf, what are their fixed rates like?

If you fully offset your loan using their sub account - will pepper close your loan? (Years back with CBA if the MISA offset the loan 100% they automatically closed the loan)

Whitecat likes this.
  4. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Pepper's latest variable increase was 0.65% The initial was 0.25 same as RBA.

Rambo likes this.
  5. jon88

jon88 Well-Known Member

What rate are they doing 10years fixed? I've not seen anything longer than 4-5years so far. nvm found the website says 7.29% p.a. - 12.29% p.a.

Whitecat likes this.
  6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

At some LVRs the increase was 0.8% on the back of the RBA's 0.5% increase.

Pepper and similar lenders certainly have their place. Pepper especially is great to work with. Service is good, they look outside the box and will lend money in a lot of circumstances where others won't. Given the risk they take on rates are generally resonable (IMO).

The risk however is their funding sources. There's no banking gurantee and their funding is subject to greater whims than the RBA. When money gets tight internationally, lenders such as Pepper feel it and the costs are passed on to customers.

Pepper came through the GFC quite well, but they weren't a lender you wanted to be stuck with at that time. Their rates went up faster and further than most lenders and they were slower to come down. What's happening now doesn't appear to be anywhere as bad as the GFC, but the pattern that non-conforming lenders are following is qutie similar.

craigc, Rambo, Whitecat and 1 other person like this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Pepper is risk based lender....their funding is based on this.

I reckon they may raise interest rates a little bit more but they are well funded and backed by a very large corporate.

The real worry is Liberty.... Resimac... and Bluestone....let see.

For the record I am paying 4.24% already on 2 of my loans. I reckon at the peak they will hit high 5s or even a tad over 6.

Whitecat likes this.
  8. Dave Radelaide

Dave Radelaide Well-Known Member

Does this mean you think borrowers IR will only rise ~150-200 basis points from here? While possible, I think the main reason the RBA would stop there (despite market pricing in much higher) is if housing market properly collapses (30-40% down across the board, obviously with pockets even worse) such that economy heads into sharp 'stagflation' recession and RBA forced to cut to revive the corpse. I think this scenario is plausible (but obviously not good for investors who are leveraged) but based on their extraordinary turn around since March, I would think the RBA would reverse course late rather than early and we are likely to see cash rates up >250 bp from here before they even consider changing direction.

sash likes this.
  9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

If you are paying 4.24 now then you might see a 7?
    I thought they were talking about rates peaking at about 5-6% retail rate (with mainstreams)

Dave Radelaide likes this.
  10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

the fixed rate loadings have come down a fair bit, while base variable rates have gone up a bunch

now means an 80 % Owner occ loan fixed for 3 years is around 6.74, which sounds high, and is but compared to say at 6.39 for the same period, for many who need the borrowing power of the non banks, thats not a bad spread.

Liberty for 3 years is 6.69 for same loan make up

ta
    rolf

upload_2022-7-15_9-58-24.png

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.