NSW penrith vs campbelltown vs liverpool

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SharonC, 4th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

So your whole perception comes from a mate who didn't do well in his pack and send business and someone who bought in Prestons when she worked in the city when she knew Prestons wasn't anywhere near the city lol

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2015
  2. Hidare

Hidare Active Member

I am new about property investment. Thank you for the advice! Will spend more time to study and search properties.

3. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I think your friend in Jordan Springs is going to feel the heat over the next few years. That's putting it nicely. I hope they have plenty of $ reserves.

4. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I don't get how Penrith is North west Sydney? It's as west as west can be.. I like Jordan Springs. My girlfriends brother bought a 300sqm block there for 275k last yr and is building a 4 bedder there all up around the 475k mark. Same houses are being sold for 650k now so he's done well and it's moved a lot.. 800k in that area is bloodbath territory though..

2FAST4U, Brian84 and Phantom like this.
  5. Phantom

That's exactly what I mean. Some areas have a max price limit...where after that point, you cant justify the price. It can only go down...800k there, is a one way ticket down. Nit saying it's a bad area, but like all areas, there is only so much you should spend. We'll, that's if you ever want to make money.

Oh and 475k was good timing back then. He did very well. Anyone doing it now, well....I think you know what's gonna happen.

6. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Great buy even for a year ago prices. I do worry about some of the people in Jordan Springs I've met. young families with one partner working and buying at 600k+. If interest rates rise quickly I think there will be some chaos. Its a great suburb but the prices are ridiculous for even for the current market .

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That's fine for your Girlfriend's brother. A fair chance it will drop back from the peak but he might have done alright, unlikely to fall below purchase price. Small land though.

And yes, I figured my colleague was nuts to sink that much money so far away. It's not for me to tell him what to do though. They bought new/ish apartment in Arncliffe (they may have bought OTP) a few years ago but now that strata fee is killing. $1300+ per quarter.

And just a clarification to make. Nobody actually said Penrith is North West...

8. Phantom

I don't think there is anything wrong with investing 'that far'. It's not issue how far is it from CBD. The issue is bad market timing. Plenty of people have invested in and around Penrith and done very very well the last few years. Your friend didn't choose a bad place. Just paid too much at the wrong time.

Brian84 likes this.
  9. Gockie

Sure... I wasn't saying don't buy in Penrith, but man, to sink that much over there? Wow. Overheated Sydney market. My ppor in North Epping cost $100k less than that 7 years ago, with almost double the size block of land. :)

What can I say but.... I'm laughing all the way to the bank... :)

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

This argument about suburbs in the "West" will probably never go away, people with minimal knowledge or going off the stories in the media and this general stigma that the west is a **** hole. It is quite annoying to hear, yes there are bad parts but it's like ******** on people that rent, there are bad elements but many do help keep the economy turning. It's just a way for some people to feel better about themselves

I don't see anything changing soon and I'll happily set anyone straight, but at the same time many people that are so ignorant with regards to an area I have no time for. There are great things happening out west but the main thing is the "bang for buck" lifestyle you get out there and "work life balance " (as long as you don't drive into the city lol)

I'm on a bus in the northern beaches right now, lovely area, couldn't live here though- So many people with their head up their as$ and id rather pocket all that extra money you save on a mortgage etc plus the traffic does my head in. But like anything change is scary! It takes time to adapt to an area, so I guess I could live here... How long is another question!

RenegadeDom, Observer, Egga and 3 others like this.
  11. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I thought by this you meant where your friend bought is North cause he wouldn't buy in South west.

12. Gockie

Nah... Penrith is simply... West.

13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The "Greater West"!!!

14. qonyx_sydney

qonyx_sydney Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. I actually had the luxury of being able to chose my PPOR and decided the Southwest over the Northwest / West and i am a white collar worker in a higher income bracket;
    • Properties close the East Hills Airport line had frequent and fast trains to the city
    • Stations from Liverpool to Macarthur have access to Cumberland trains to Blacktown via Parramatta
    • Travel distance to a beach is easier (30 mins from Crossroads to botany bay / 50 mins from Crossroads to stanwell park or bulli)
    • Easier access to get away from city hustle and bustle (Hume highway southern highlands / Wollongong)
    • Bang for buck is better in the Southwest for a PPOR which means you have more money to spend on your IPs
    • There is a significant amount of infrastructure spend which will significantly transform the whole area
    • Leppington and Edmondson Park town centres are likely to be best in class examples of transit oriented developments as they will be completely greenfield sites with no legacy issues preventing optimal uses
    • Glenfield to Macaruthur rail corridor will also undergo significant transformation
    • http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/Plan...Glenfield-to-Macarthur-Urban-Renewal-Corridor
    • Northwest & some Western suburbs have had larger capital gains and are likely to be more overvalued than the southwest

Observer, Arashi87 and 2FAST4U like this.
  15. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Compared the areas carefully about 10 years ago when buying our first property and opted for SW (Macquarie Fields).
    Closer to the beach and roads seemed less snarly.

Definitely more bogans and ferals NW imo.
    One saturday lunch at Plumpton foodcourt while waiting for an open house was unforgetable.

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2015
    2FAST4U likes this.
  16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

17. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Haha i'd have to say there's gotta be a correlation between bogans and low prices... Way more bogans in Southwest and West. Wont find any bogans buying $1m houses in Kellyville lol

P.s. Plumpton is definitely not Northwest

Glorion likes this.
  18. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Nope, the cashed up bogans are buying 2-3m houses in Castle Hill and Dural/Kenthurst

19. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

P.s. Plumpton is definitely not Northwest.

Can see where your coming from but the M4 runs through the middle of the west , so for ease of description south of that road is SW and north NW

20. TforTim

TforTim Active Member

I've an exact same question as OP's mention suburbs.

I'm still dilemma of which area to buy (Blacktown-Penrith) vs (Liverpool-Campbelltown) for my very first PPOR around max 400K budget. I work around Wynyard area every weekday, so must be closed to the Train Line. Currently I'm renting in Canterbury Area. I found out Lakemba is cheap compare to neighboring suburbs, but I'm not so sure to live in Lakemba area.

I believes this is not good time according to many forum post, so I'll better wait next 6 months or so.

Please educate me more :) .

Tekoz likes this.