Penrith Subdivision - Minimum Lot Size

Discussion in 'Development' started by Josh84, 15th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Josh84

Josh84 New Member

Hi all, I'd appreciate your advice. If you don't meet 'minimum lot size' is that an absolute dealbreaker for subdivision?

My family has an IP in the Penrith council area - zoned R2. It's on a 950sqm block with rear access via another road with about 20m frontage. The idea would be to split into two 475sqm blocks. The issue is the minimum lot size for this area on the NSW planning portal states 600sqm.

So is that the final word? Or is it worth getting a surveyor out to try and start the process?

2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

you could still apply and it would be assessed on a case by case basis

though your over 20% below the minimum lot size so im not sure how the council would treat it

another option would be to do a dual occupancy

minimum lot size is 650m2 for attached or 750m2 for detatched ( you could retain the existing dwelling and build one at the rear)

you would be able to subdivide but on strata title not torrens

Investor1234 and Josh84 like this.
  3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not experienced, but I've read that the attributes and amenity of the area can play a part in the decision process for development, even if lot size is not within normal criteria for subdivision. I.e the development "suits" the area. E.g. Is it near higher densities, is it near a school, is it near shops / schools / public transport, is it opposite or near a park.

If any or a combination of the above, subdivision might be possible. Council may prefer to consider proposed development in terms of actual proposed building plans, rather than just block-splitting alone.

I would say it's not really a surveyor that you need, but a town planner experienced / familiar with dealing with Penrith council.

Josh84 and Anthony416 like this.
  4. Josh84

Josh84 New Member

Thanks @wombat777 and @gach2 for the for the valuable feedback. I've just spoken to a town planner and the duty planner at the council who both squashed it pretty quickly. They confirmed that a block size of 20% doesn't have any chance of getting through as a torrens subdivision.

The property wasn't purchased with subdivision in mind but considering the 350m2 block sizes they're selling in the new development areas like Jordan Springs and Glenmore I thought we'd be in with a chance with 475m2. What a bummer.