Pebbles and pave path

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Harrison, 20th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harrison

Harrison Active Member

Howdy folks

I would like to landscape the side path to our house with pebbles and pavers. At the moment it is a mixture of soil and grass.

I need to top it up ... what is the cheapest option and most effective to prevent weeds growing through the pebbles?

Is it necessary to spray the soil with weed kill? Id like to use a natural one if possible.

Do we need to put down some sort of matting to stop the weeds...

Cheers

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes
    Boiling water poured on weeds kills them
    I'm pretty sure the product you need is called weed mat.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Are you going to lay the pavers on a sand bed or on crushed rock base then a layer of sand?
    If you are using crushed rock, that will stop a lot of weeds.

Or, are you mainly laying pebbles and a few pavers as steppers? Weeds always grow up,through those small pebbles.

If it was me, and I wanted pebbles, I would chose the big river pebbles about 8-10cm wide. Much easier to keep weeds down. But you will still have to keep it maintained.

4. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

You don't need to spray the soil with weed killer. just lay down some black plastic and put the stones on top , you wont ever have weeds come up and you wont need as many stones just a thin layer.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Compacted crushed granite wont harbour weeds. Pebbles are a pain in the a and are just a mowing issue. The key step is ensuing the base has no vegetation. Spray to kill and excavate to required depth. Border sides. Consider weedmat. Layer the granite mix (mixed with cement by landscape supplier) and apply in several layers and plate compact each. Water and repeat. Fill sides with topsoil. Drink beer and admire effort.

Natural weedkiller ? Roundup is a phosphorous salt not a poison. It just kills green things that are growing and can be used selectively to kills weeds, not crops. Its not uranium or cyanide

Tom Rivera, Toon and Joynz like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Many weeds come later from bird droppings on top and seeds blown about from other places. Vinegar is another weed killer if you dont want to use boiling water.

Marg4000 likes this.
  7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I paved a side path with pebbles and lay it with weed mat. Very effective. Haven’t had the need to weed the area. Probably because it’s narrow and out of direct sunlight.

8. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

As everyone above has said. Weed mat is the only way to truly try and stop the weeds from coming back up. I have a pebbles in my garden down the side of my house and I am forever pulling weeds out but garden was there before I moved in and happy to just keep on top of it.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Italian weed mat also works.
    Aussies call it concrete.

10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Make sure you get a good weed matting- most of them are NOT effective after a short period, the weeds will grow right through them.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You will never completely stop the weeds. Birds drop seeds and seeds blow in to the gravel. At best you can slow then down, but some ongoing maintenance will be required to keep it weed free.

And even black plastic breaks down over time, as does any other form of weed barrier.
    Marg

12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

14. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

Thank you! I've seen this product on TV, but have been met with blank looks when I've tried to describe/buy it from Bunnings. Good now know where to get it from.

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

The key word that interests me is "permeable". So technically you could cover an entire site with the stuff and since it is not non-permeable you wouldn't be breaking council rules re maximum percentage of site permitted to be covered with non-permeable surfaces

Last edited: 6th Dec, 2017
    Tom Rivera and Christina46 like this.