Paying the contents insurance excess for the tenant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ceejay, 11th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

you got all that done for $1575!!?!?!?

I would have said
    plumber $200-$250
    electrician $200-$250
    carpets $3000

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Man, you need to find some better value tradies :p.

I just look up the invoices (as I am now home) and here they are:
    • Plumber: $295
    • Electrican (two visits): $250 + $135
    • Carpets: $895
    • Total: $1,575 (how good is my memory :D)

TMNT likes this.
  3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on the history of the tenancy, I’ve done it both ways.

If the tenant wasn’t away, their food would not have been spoiled because they would’ve known about the issue sooner. But if they weren’t away, would you have spent the extra $150 on an electrician because of an after hours call out?

If they have been very good tenants and you’re willing, I’d do the $150 - but have your PM say that it’s a once off gesture of good will and that the owner is under no obligation to ever contribute in these circumstances.

I explain at the start of the tenancy that the owner is not liable for any contents under any circumstances and the tenant is responsible to have and pay their own insurance.

I’ve had this exact situation, tenant was away and the power went out. They asked for compensation, owner declined - they were great tenants overall, but at every inconvenience tried the compensation route even when there was nothing the owner could have done to prevent the issues.

bunkai, kierank and wylie like this.
  4. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

The way I think about it is what would happen if it were the tenants PPOR (owned) and that would be that they would have to deal with it.

Providing the OP wasn't negligent or delaying repairs for no reason - this is the service they are paying for. They are not paying for a redundant power supply, battery backup, monitoring/alerting etc etc.

For a good tenant I might help for goodwill but these things happen.

kierank and Lil Skater like this.
  5. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Even then, they said they were away at the time. If the fridge/freezer isn't opened during a power outage, it should hold it's temp for quite a while.

Michael Mitchell, kierank and Stoffo like this.
  6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

If they were away at the time, the food could have rotted in the fridge and required a fridge replacement.
    Is the excess just for food, or was a new fridge required?
    I can't imagine having $300 of food just in a fridge, unless a deep freezer?