Paying 10% deposit by bank cheque at an auction?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by zed_kid, 16th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

How does that work? If you don’t know exactly how much you’re going to get the house for. Can it be over/under?

2. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Just ask the agent for a variation on terms before the auction. agree on a set amount etc , or that you can pay it electronically

zed_kid likes this.
  3. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    Check with the agent if they will accept a different form of payment, or a part payment with the balance paid a few days later. If they insist on 10% bank cheque on the day, get a cheque for 10% of your maximum bid.

zed_kid likes this.
  4. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I’ll just take a bank cheque out for max I’m prepared to pay on the day. :)

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You can get your bank to issue you with temporary cheques. They just print them off at the branch. If it's still a couple of weeks away they can even get you a cheque book. Handy for when dealing with dinosaurs or King Henry VIII.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

You don't need a bank cheque on the day.

You'll probably show up to the auction with your mobile phone with a groovy little banking app. As you're about to sign the contract you ask the agent if you can transfer $1,000 to their trust account right now, then you'll give them a bank cheque for the balance on Monday morning.

Nick Valsamis, EN710 and JacM like this.
  7. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

I'd be careful there - and i'm talking worst case scenarios, but in Qld paying more than a 10% deposit can trigger what's called an instalment contract and the agent may refuse your bank cheque deposit on those grounds. Also @Peter_Tersteeg is correct, that sort of thing happens at auctions every day, however if you haven't previously asked to bid under those terms it could bite you on the a%#e.. better safe than sorry , just ask for the variation prior

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Negotiate beforehand for a set dollar amount if you are successful. The amount would obviously depend on the approximate expected selling price.

Or just take a wad of cash. Friend sold his late father's home for $1.6m. Buyer whipped out a bag of $100 notes, and the agents sat there for 15-20 minutes and counted out the $160K deposit.
    Marg

Archaon, Luke T, wylie and 3 others like this.
  9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Or pre-arrange an electronic transfer. That's what I did last time I bought at auction in Melbourne.

10. abexx

abexx Member

You can check with the agent regarding what he would accept.

I had the same query and there seem to be at least the following ways:
    - ETF 1000 bucks right after the auction, and then draw a cheque for the remainder on Monday morning as most auctions are on Saturday
    - get a blank personal cheque beforehand and then just write the number after you win the auction and hand it over
    - get a bank cheque for an estimate number in advance, and then pay the balance on Monday morning

Perthguy likes this.
  11. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Secure agreement from the selling agent in advance as to acceptable terms of payment if you are the winning bidder. They will likely accept $1k EFT'd on the day if you show them evidence of the transfer, and then allow you to toddle into a branch and deposit a personal or bank cheque directly into their account on Monday morning.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Im going to auction tomorrow. I went to ANZ and they gave me a blank counter cheque. Not sure if this is the right thing or not but thats all I have.

13. Luke T

Luke T Well-Known Member

LOL love it !

14. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Yep and we wonder why the government wants to remove the $100 note due to counterfeiting/money laundering

15. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

i always speak to the agent, explain that i am going to lots of auctions and i have no idea if i will win or not. It is crazy to be pulling bank cheques or even having that cash sitting in a chequing account. I make up some BS about shares or term deposits, then offer $25k cheque with balance of a 5% in 7 days. I get told no but occasionally i get told yes.

16. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

In SA, its generally paid via EFT with banking receipt, or 1-2k + balance on Monday

17. tonyvooz

tonyvooz Active Member

Talk to the agent, they often agree to a small deposit with full balance transferred within 2-3 day. I won my house (500K+) at an auction and only required to deposit $1K via EFT on that day (Sat morning), the balance was transferred 2 days later on Monday.

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Then prove to Austrak or two guys (or ladies) in suits at your door later the source of the $160K. Any cash over $10K is a reportable item and property transactions in cash are ALL investigated by the Crime Commission or its agents. OLMCGs were doing this to lauder drug proceeds and so its become a 100% review issue. No bank will generally allow a $160K withdrawal in cash even with notice without imposing an armoured car charge and several days notice.

19. GBay

GBay Member

I thought you could legally write a cheque on any piece of paper, provided all the details are correct. I wonder if the auctioneer would accept that...

20. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

These days a lot of agents use DEFT Auction Pay which allows you to transfer an amount more than your bank would usually allow (most people have $10K or $15K limits).

Auctioneers and agents will almost always allow a ‘consideration’ on auction day which I’ve seen as little as $1000 (this is rare). Usually 10% of the guide price is acceptable and then this is adjusted on the Monday depending on what the sale price is.

- Paul

GBay likes this.