Patterson Lakes

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Browneyed, 16th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Browneyed

Browneyed Active Member

Hi all,

Hope you're well and wish everyone a happy New Year!

We're looking at Patterson Lakes as an option to live in, esp. in the main Marina area. Any thoughts on the suburb and lifestyle would be deeply appreciated mainly from a lifestyle, schools, appreciation and renting perspective for the future. The suburb seems to be in our budget of upto $1.5 mil and that is for a waterfront property (in this case a townhouse upto $1.2 mil), but we are not too familiar with the suburb.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    B

2. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

This area has not been mentioned in the forums much at all, only 1 other mention besides yours: House or Unit. An ex-colleague used to live in Chelsea and would say if he had the money, he'd live in Patterson Lakes. I know just that isn't very helpful for you here :)

The Y-man likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It’s a lovely suburb (our son lives there).

Good shopping/commercial hub (but the parking layout at Woolworths is atrocious).
    Frankston gentrifying, all amenities available there.
    Rail station nearby at Carrum, main city-Frankston line.
    Good road link to city via Eastlink (tolls).
    Decent capital growth - son’s house has doubled in about 7 years.

And fabulous at Christmas, many canal houses have spectacular light displays, best seen by boat.

The Y-man likes this.
  4. Browneyed

Browneyed Active Member

Hey Westie! :) Hope you're well and wish you a happy New Year!

Yes I saw that other thread - nothing else here about Patto which is very curious as PC usually hosts most areas I've searched for!

B

5. Browneyed

Browneyed Active Member

Thank you Marg! This helps. Any idea about schools there? I've also heard a couple people on the Internet complaining about the stench there, but most other people deny it.

B

6. Marg4000

Never noticed any ‘stench” and our son’s house is on one of the main canals.
    Sorry, no idea about schools, though I have heard the local school is quite good.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Where did you get the data from?

And what is the definition of ‘near’? Because those ‘meth lab’ circles are huge!

And I live/ invest in two properties that sit within one of the circles - there doesn’t seem to be an overwhelming meth issue here. (Not saying no one is making it, but it doesn’t seem to be a big thing here).

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2022
  8. Hamish84

Hamish84 Well-Known Member

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wonder if they decorated with some baby cheeses? :p

Interesting that the back yard seems to be the one they filmed looking at the house, but it had a timber fence so you couldn't see the water behind (assuming the filming facing towards the back fence was filmed at the same place).

Hamish84 likes this.
  10. Marg4000

I know the house.
    You are correct, the canal was shielded by a temporary fence. They filmed a lot of scenes there.

Hamish84 likes this.
  11. CTSB

CTSB Well-Known Member

Some people love it, some people hate it.

It's not my cup of tea personally, it's a little bit "Gold Coasty" like most 70's housing developments.

The smell thing I've never heard of and I've been in the general area a long time, I've never smelt anything whenever I've been there or in neighbouring Carrum.

I've been to some spectacular waterfront homes in there, but I still personally don't like the area enough to ever move there and I owned and lived right next door in Carrum for a few years.

Not enough character in most of the homes for my liking. 95% of properties in there are 70's brick monstrosities.

Quality schools are a slight problem in that area, I don't rate any of the high schools around there, you have to go all the way up to Mentone or over to Keysborough at Haileybury for the next best private school, which is a decent drive and no public transport other than a bus.The best public school nearby is probably Frankston High School and Patterson Lakes isn't in the zone. Mentone Girls Secondary the other and most certainly not in the zone. Quite a lot of kids commute to St Bedes/Kilbreda/Mentone Grammar x 2, but it's probably an hour trip door-to-door from Patterson Lakes using public transport for a kid to do Home->Station->School

If you are hellbent on a waterfront property around there in that budget, I'd be looking at a property in Carrum or Bonbeach that backs onto Patterson River. Both have been transformed with the new station developments. Both suburbs are older and possess a lot of 50's and 60's weatherboards which make much nicer street scapes than Patterson Lakes.

Lifestyle wise, if you have a boat moored off your house it would be great Im sure. Seaford and Carrum beaches are arguably the best metro beaches in Melbourne imo and the new train stations and new mordialloc freeway bypass are excellent new infrastructure additions nearby. Carrum/Patterson lakes is right in the sweetspot in thr South East for accessibility, it is right on McLeod rd, right near Eastlink, Penninsula Link etc, it's 30mins to get to most places right down to the Peninsula-South East-Eastern Suburbs. You can get anywhere in the East/Sth East very quickly from there as there's an arterial on your door step to pretty much everywhere. Best bit about that area imo.

If you are shopping for townhouses up to $1.5m, you might want to consider close to beachfront townhouses between Nepean Hwy and the sand in Carrum and Bonbeach.

Like this one - https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-carrum-135251986?sourcePage=rea:sold:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2022
    The Y-man and SuperOlaf like this.
  12. DavidG

DavidG Active Member

We built a house there in 1980 on the lake it was fantastic back then but it changed for the worst , sold in 1996 and wouldn't go back not my cup of tea & yes you got a real bad smell from the sewerage farm in Carrum . If your into boating I suppose its ok but in winter its real cold & windy !
    If I was into boating I'd head to the Gold Coast .

13. Marg4000

The Patterson river at Carrum and Bonbeach has levee banks and bike tracks on both sides, so properties not really “waterfront”.