Parramatta - battleaxe and tree questions

Discussion in 'Development' started by ronaldo, 25th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ronaldo

ronaldo New Member

Hello,

I am looking at a property that has a potential for a two lot subdivision in Parramatta council (with each lot able to accommodate a duplex)

1. Does Parramatta council allow building a duplex in the battleaxe lot? (like two houses facing the road in the first lot and two at the back sharing a 3.3m driveway)
    2. There are a large number of trees present on the site. Is the council really strict with these trees and tree removals? A DA was rejected for this site in 2005-06 and the council had proposed to retain several mature trees at that time (it was rejected because the previous person had applied with wrong lot sizes - he wanted to build 6 instead of 4 houses). I am just looking for recent experience to see the council's approach. Almost all of these trees are still present - not sure how healthy they are now

There are several such developments in the neighboring Cumberland council - but looking to get opinions on Parramatta council

2. ACH123

ACH123 Active Member

Alot of factors here depending on where your site is located. Due to recent amalgamations, Parramatta Council includes parts of former Auburn, The Hills, Holroyd and Hornsby LGA.

Duplex, generally speaking, is allowed on battleaxe lots. However, factors need to be considered include minimum lot size controls and FSR etc. In Parramatta LEP, Part 4.1 (4A) states that any battle axe lots must not be less than 670 sqm.

For trees, it is largely dependent on the species. If Council suspects that a tree is a significant species, then you have to retain it and ensure that no damage would occur to it during construction.

Arul likes this.
  3. Arul

Arul New Member

Hi Ronaldo, I am in exactly the same situation like you mentioned above. It's a battle Axe property of around 1000 + Sq under Parramatta council with some trees. Were you able to finally build a duplex in your battle axe site ? If yes, Did you go with CDC or Parramatta council approval? Is the subdivision of the lot possible with torrence title for each lot of the duplex?
    Really appreciate your great help here.

4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

We're in Parramatta council and we've got a battleaxe backing onto us and they're building two houses on it.
    It's a 4000sqm block though.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@ronaldo has not been to the forum in nearly four years, and even so, perhaps it is best that you call a town planner, who should be able to tell you what can be done with a specific block.

Arul likes this.
  6. Arul

Arul New Member

Thanks much @spludgey.

Any thoughts whether those houses are built as strata property or duplex with separate titles or two individual houses?

7. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Two individual houses, but one title.
    That's about all I know though.

8. PKK

PKK New Member

Arul

I am in the same situation the Parramatta council LEP has changed and it allows battleaxe subdivision with min lot size 550m2 and I am stuck here need help and advise if you had any progress

9. PKK

PKK New Member

I am in the same situation the Parramatta council LEP has changed and it allows battleaxe subdivision with min lot size 550m2 and I am stuck here need help and advise if you had any progress