Parents wanting to build a granny flat on our property

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by KBHV, 9th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KBHV

KBHV Active Member

Hi,

Our PPOR is a 2 acre property near a large regional town in the Hunter Valley. We only purchased last year, it is a paradise for us and we find living here has made us happier and healthier.

My ageing parents live 3 hours away and want a place closer to the grandkids (our kids). They have plenty of cash and could buy their own property near us but no, being a little tight and loving where we live they would prefer to just build some sort of granny flat on our land.

At this stage I am not sure I actually want them in my space (even thought they would only be there probably one week per month). But I can see some benefits of the granny flat - could Air B&B it (there is demand for this in our area). They also said we could use it for our friends/visitors whenever they were not there. Good for the kids to see more of their grandparents I suppose.

I have a sibling, so to make it fair they said they would adjust their wills to make it fair as we would inherit the granny flat when they passed.

We plan to stay in the property for a very long time, our kids are in a great school here and we have solid jobs. The mortgage on the property is only about 15% of the total value so even if one of us lost work we wouldn’t need to sell. It is definitely our forever home.

At some stage in the next year or two we want to draw out some equity for one or two IP’s.

Would this granny flat be a crazy idea? Has anyone done this sort of thing with family? Anything I should look out for or think about?

thanks

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Parent won't be on the title of the property so it will technically be yours even if they use their cash to build it. think about how that affects splitting it with your sibling when they pass, you can't just sell the granny flat unless someone wants to take the thing off your block of land.

qak and Travelbug like this.
  3. KBHV

KBHV Active Member

Parents would reduce our share of inheritance for the price or value of the granny flat.

4. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

If you're not sold on benefits/prospect of them being close to the kids etc... or the utility of having the additional space.... then you can look at the hard numbers :)

If you're set to inherit the money then essentially it is your money... so would the granny flat build provide a tangible ROI? E.g. Would it improve the value of the property by the amount that is being spent? If you decided look at future rental or airbnb would this be a path to profit/ROI?

(May be tax implications for rental income/AirBNB to consider)

KBHV likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe start with a caravan and see how things go? :D

The Y-man

qak, skater and KBHV like this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

It sounds like the doubts you have are personal. Are you looking for a financial reason to say no?

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Forget the numbers. I sense you're trying to justify why you should based on the financial benefits.

You need to ask yourself WHY you don't (this is not an attack on you - you have your reasons and the people it should be discussed with are the ones affected - for anyone else - its none of their business unless you want to share the info with them).

For every reason why you should, there is a reason why you shouldn't. What you need to resolve is whether there is a way to mitigate the problem - not compensate the problem.

I'm sure these points will come up during discussion with your family (so just something you can be aware of and have a think prior to having the discussion):

- We're only going to be there once a week, so we're not going to be in your way
    - If you're going to AirBnB it, we want <insert %> of the proceeds
    - Your land is 2 acres (8000sqm), you won't even notice us
    - Your land is 2 acres (8000sqm), we'll put it right near the boundary, so its no different to us having bought next door and putting a house on it.

KBHV likes this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Are your parents on any Centrelink pension?

This may affect their benefits as they would be gifting you the value of the granny flat.

9. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The main issue to consider is how often they use it. As they have paid for it, it is their place, morally if not legally.

So move forward a bit, and the one week a month becomes two, then they like it so much they are there more often than not? Maybe even basically move in? And Airbnb may not be easy if the granny flat is filled with your parents’ possessions.

What does your husband/wife think of the idea?

Since you say your parents have the money, buying a separate place may be the better option for family harmony.

qak and wylie like this.
  10. KBHV

KBHV Active Member

Quite possibly yes. I do have personal reservations eg, having visions of it becoming like an ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ scenario. But I want to think through the financial implications as well before we decide anything.

11. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Tiny home on wheels solves the problem

If they misbehave tow it away when not looking.

But it is theirs not yours. Build a custom one.

Make a video of it and sell it to the networks.

12. KBHV

KBHV Active Member

No pension, they’re self-funded retirees.

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If they are self funded retirees it doesn't seem like a 100k granny flat would have any significant financial implications.

KBHV likes this.
  14. KBHV

KBHV Active Member

Them moving in full time is a concern that I have, particulary as I can see my Mother’s health is declining. But given they paid for the place I would not stop them.

I would actually be more than happy for my Dad to move in to it full time and even care for him as he gets older. But unfortunately with my Mother living there full time it would not be good for me. I can only handle her in small quantities. And she can be quite spiteful if she doesn’t get her way, and she is really pushing for this, so I’m trying to carefully weigh up all of the considerations both personally and financially.

My husband is very easy going and is happy to go along with whatever I want to do. He gets along well with my parents. He would not love having them here full time but on a part time basis he’s ok with it.

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Playing devil's advocate here... Let's assume they pay $100k to have a granny flat build on your land. They adjust their will to ensure your sibling gets $100k more on the death of the last one standing.

What if that granny flat has added 200k to the value of your property?

Will your sibling expect to benefit by the value it has in ten years' time?

I think this could go horribly wrong. I've seen some things that would make your hair curl with this type of "evening things up" via a will.

It isn't just about money, but clearly this has been discussed and a decision made that wills can be altered to adjust. I just see it as a big red flag.

If I was going to do this, I'd pay for it myself and keep it simple. But then you have to look at the other things raised, ie. tax implications if you let it as an AirBNB, furnishing and storage of your parents' things if you do that.

Can they just stay with you occasionally or perhaps they buy a large caravan that they park near your house with power and water from your house when they need it? It gives everyone an "out" and more flexibility if things don't work out.

Marg4000 likes this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd typed my post before reading this. Your relationship with your mother and her being pushy and possibly being spiteful if she doesn't get her own way is even more of a red flag. I'm glad I'm not in your position.

Can your husband be the one who says "caravan only" so that it removes some of the responsibility from your shoulders if you choose to say no to the granny flat?

Or say they can come and stay in your house for short periods without even going down the granny flat (or caravan) path?

Joynz likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ok, forget the caravan, it's going to be a tent.... albeit a nice one ;)

The Y-man

ca0c24ad588c94275cf1df3148ab2664.jpeg

boganfromlogan likes this.
  18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The specific placing of it is important as well.

Lonely Tent Guide.com.jpg

craigc likes this.
  19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

They would have a beneficial interest in the property which could cause issues down the track. An alternative may be for the child to borrow from the parent and treat it as a loan. It could be interest free. No need to adjust wills (unless they want a notional interest amount taken into account) and no equitable interest. The child could potentially keep the property fully exempt from CGT using the main residence exemption too.

Westminster likes this.
  20. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member