Health & Family Paleo Diet!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 380, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Wasn't much of anything in the old days. If they couldn't get a wilder-beast they probably ate i n sects and grass-eater droppings with leaves and grass and whatever mini crops they could grow. Then died of old age somewhere after 20. Glad we've moved on.
    These diets are a bit like religions. Whatever they all have in common is the kernel of truth.
    get rid of sugar, lots of water and exercise and sleep. Good quality, simple and fresh. Not too much meat, eat a few pulses and brown grains.
    We all know it. How many of us do it? I'm too tired to do the shopping and cooking atm.

Bayview, bob shovel and AndrewTDP like this.
  2. AaronR

AaronR Well-Known Member

Don't have an issue with people eating what they want and promoting a healthy lifestyle.

DO have an issue with convincing vulnerable people that diets cure diseases. It's dangerous.

beachgurl, Bran and AndrewTDP like this.
  3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

If I remeber back to my evolutionary psych course meat was the thing that kicked off bigger human brains.

If you track our evolutionary journey it was only when we had access to high protein high energy meat that humans could actually afford to support bigger brains.

So the idea that our ancestors didnt eat meat or much meat at all, is very wrong.

Also the idea that early men was a hunter is incorrect. We like to think of our ancestors as strong hunters. However they were much more likely to be scavengers, getting left over meat from other animal's kills.

As for the paleo diet there is some benefit to it. If you read monash university's reasearch on fodmaps youll find that digestive problems are caused by fermentable carbohydrates found in many foods that the paleo diet cuts out. So no milk, no gluten containing grains. So some people do see a legitimate benefit.

However paleo ignores all the other sources of fodmaps, like peas and mangoes and beetroot and apples etc... etc... etc...

4. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Since removing dairy and grains from my diet I have seen incredible health benefits and a lot of ailments disappear.

My husband and a friend changed their diet as well after seeing my results and my friend removed 7 on going symptoms she was experiencing. 1 prevented the need for minor surgery, the rest removed the need for medication. Each medication she took had a side effect which meant another medication.

I will eat some grains every now and then, there are side effects to that the following day or immediately afterward however I know to just stay off them for a few weeks again and the symptoms go away again.

People can also experiment to see which grains are ok for them. For some people they do find a few which seem to work ok for their body.

+1 from me, but I think people have to have a real incentive to go down that path. (Otherwise why would you want to give up bread!!!)
    Most people who do it are usually sick of having allergies or ailments they can't get rid of via other avenues and are willing to give new things a try.

I don't think it will be a fad. It's been around for many many years now and too many people are experiencing amazing results from the change in their diet.

+1 for the sugar film too! In an hour and half it illustrates so perfectly what some people have to go to school for 18 months to understand.

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/education/2013-public-lecture.html

If anyone has some spare time to watch an entertaining lecture on digestive health and the fodmap diet, highly recommend that link.

Paleo is pseudo science. I like proper science. Not to discount paleo completely, but if you eliminate enough foods you're bound to get some of them right.

AndrewTDP likes this.
  6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I would have thought a group of successful investors would be presenting more evidence and throwing forth less opinion and fewer anecdotes.

Peer-reviewed studies are a good starting point :)

7. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Not true.

People who have blood sugar problems benefit immensely from cutting out carbohydrates. The paleo and keto diet help with this.

Have you considered what fruit is, really? A bag of wet sugar!

Yes, some people will be okay on the standard diet. But we all vary and some people have insulin that doesn't work so well.

Some people can't drink milk because of lactose and people are cool with that. But say you don't eat bread because it causes a surge in blood sugar, an overdose of insulin and a severe drop and suddenly you're pushing some fringe diet.

THX and Terry_w like this.
  8. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

How many anecdotes do you want?

I've got hundreds.

Anecdotes are still factual results.

Left hemisphere/analytical folks don't like anything not from a spreadsheet or chart, so much of the anecdote stuff will probably get poo-hooed..

Last edited: 25th Aug, 2015
  9. THX

THX Well-Known Member

That's the thing, if you ignore the name (which is all people seem to argue about only) it is simply eating less sugar and carbs, and eating more protein, good fats and vegetables which is pretty much the way our great/grandparents ate.

btw the science supports low carb(which paleo is just one of, another is atkins etc) diets: http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Arrrggghhh hate the right brain left brain personality stuff. Based on nothing.

Pet peeve of mine. You have a corpus callosum damn it... :)

11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Hunting animals for meat is so barbaric.

I buy my meat from Woollies where no animals were harmed.

mrdobalina, Bayview and AndrewTDP like this.
  12. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I had Paleo friendly chicken for lunch. I doubt the chicken felt as good about it as I did.

13. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

The wife is extremely into Paleo, and watched the Sugar Film linked earlier in this thread. There's a beef bone broth slow cooking on the kitchen bench right now actually.

I eat a butchered version of a paleo/keto diet, but realistically still stray into carbs in a limited way. I purely base my diet around this way to remove any excess carbs/sugar which require too much exercise to burn, while I focus on as much protein to keep the stomach full and help with weight training.

14. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I remember all those oldies growing up eating such things as bread and "dripping", lots of custards and puddings, real butter, full cream on everything, lots of bread and potatoes, steak, eggs, chips (deep fried), huge Sunday roasts, etc....a large number died of heart attacks!

15. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

If you want a truly "Paleo" experience, start training to fast. Once you are able to go 24 hours without food comfortably - this will take discipline - then you are coming closer to the hunter/gatherer diet.

Water is necessary every day, but the human body easily goes multiple days without food. Modern day "hunger" is just food cravings when the brain knows food is accessible. Our brain retains some old evolutionary advantages and one of them was to cause the tongue to salivate and cravings to occur if it knew it was possible to eat (its better to eat as soon as you may, since you may not have food for a few days). Have you ever noticed that you might feel "hungry" but then you become busy or preoccupied with something and suddenly the hunger disappears, only to occur again when you've little to do.

In essence, the contemporary concept of "hunger" is a psychological one. I have read that true hunger starts in the throat, but have luckily never fasted that long.

On the paleo diet specifically, correlation is not causation and it is not the "paleo" nature of the diet that is doing wonders for people. Its the high satiety of ***** or lean meats combined with the large volumes of fibre in vegetables that keep people fuller for longer and thus they consume less calories. As for general health benefits, the correlation is due to the extremely nutrient rich variety of vegetables and meats that most people on paleo consume as well as the high amount of water and reasonably balanced macros. To exemplify, I am sure most of you may relate to the fact that it is easy to consume a few bowls of pasta/spaghetti but you probably struggle to down more than one chunky steak.

The macro hierarchy is quite literally protein > fat > carbohydrates and the paleo diet plays to that tune.

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Spot on. People need a trendy name for a diet they won't stick to.
    Try to cut out processed foods - that's as shocking as a 10km head on collision.
    Don't let your kids eat maccas and drink coke.
    Do exercise.
    It's pretty simple.

alexm and WattleIdo like this.
  17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Well at least I finally got motivated to buy and cook a couple of low godmap meals tonight. A long way to go ...:(o_O. But some good meals com I ng up this week. :)
    I've become a low fodmap person. But do suspect that it wouldn't have been necessary if I hadn't had such access to so much food so regularly. Even with portion control. I've been healthy and slim most of my life and followed a very well researched plan for more than 10 years but things change all the time. Was a bit disappointed when I realised my body no longer tolerates dairy.
    By the way, science supports just about every theory out there. One I hear often is that it's easier to maintain weight when you include carb s. Just don't over do it. And they can be mostly veggies and some fruit.
    Of course, the best way to lose weight is to cut out grains (after soft drinks and junk food and sugar). Or low fodmap it if you're turning into an apple. :oops:

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I just wish Macca's never invented the Coffee Frappe - and that there wasn't a drive thru on the way home from school

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You can lose weight without cutting grains out of your diet.
    Each person is different I guess.
    I didn't even know what fodmap was, sorry to hear you can't eat your dairies any more.

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think with most diets the main thing is to eat thoughtfully.

Personally, I don't think that the paleo diet is all that great (and certainly has nothing to do with what people ate during the paleolithic period), but it's better for you than the average diet of just eating whatever.

My diet is a bit weird as well, I'm a vegetarian and I do intermittent fasting during work days where I don't eat outside the hours of 4pm and 8pm.
    This is something promoted by Michael Morsely, supposedly mice live up to 40% longer on a feeding regime like this as it encourages cell rejuvenation rather than cell splitting which is supposed to reduce aging.
    So I'm thinking that at worst, this isn't doing me any harm and at best it's going to allow me to lead a healthier life.

WattleIdo and miked like this.