Painting kitchen cupboards/frame

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tony Fleming, 14th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

I've got to do a quick Reno in a few days. I tried to source a kitchen in time but since it was interstate it was too hard to get all the measurements. I would have preferred a mew kitchen but have decided to just repaint the doors and frame. Just wanted to double check if white knights was everyone preferred paint for this operation. From what I understand the steps are

1. Clean the old cupboard doors and sand slightly.
    2. One coat primer.
    3. Re sand
    4. Do two coats of paint.

Any other tips to help make it easier would be greatly appreciated :)

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Only other tip is get someone else to do it! :p

What type of paint are you using for the finish? Check the top coat adheres well to the white knight.
    I think an oil based may be better for durability and cleaning

Tony Fleming likes this.
  3. Tony Fleming

Hahaha I wish I could :) I have to do floor and floating floorboards since ill be heading down alone I thought it would give me something to do at night and early morning. O haven't decided on the paint yet

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Personally I reckon unless using 2pack you could get away with enamel (as Bob said)

Make sure the doors/draws closest to cooking appliances get a very good degrease, oil penetrates the surface, won't allow the paint to stick properly (bubbles).
    There's another thread here from a couple months back someone had this prob

Tony Fleming likes this.
  5. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Keen to see before and after photos of how you go with this :p

Tony Fleming and JenW like this.
  6. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Good quality oil based top coat would be what I would use (Taubmans/ Dulux etc). You will need to allow dry time between coats. Make sure the extra coats thickness wont cause your doors to bind against the frame. I like using a small roller with the top coat to apply and then while it is still wet running over the surface with a good quality brush.

Tony Fleming likes this.
  7. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Depending on what paint you end up using, you might also want to consider using a coat of ESP. After applying it you can paint water based over enamel paint and it will stick. I would probably use it instead of undercoat.

Another request for before and after photos too please!

Tony Fleming likes this.
  8. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Clean with Tricleanium
    Coat with Zinsser oil based primer/sealer
    Two coats of oil based semi gloss

Tony Fleming, Jamie_ and JenW like this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've used this stuff on plastic, it was pretty awesome. No bubbles or peeling paint.

Tony Fleming likes this.
  10. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

It really is fantastic stuff Azazel, apparently you can even put a coat on glass then paint it! Haven't tried it myself, but you never know when something like that might come in handy.... ;)

Tony Fleming likes this.
  11. Tony Fleming

Thanks for the tips everyone looks like I've got some shopping to attend to. Photos hopefully by the end of the week unless it goes terribly wrong.

12. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Dark Night I did my PPOR 1950s kitchen with zinser and gloss acrylic. It's fine for us living there, but the oil based would be the go if you were buying paint specifically for it.

I'm very curious how you do your reno's on interstate properties. I haven't had the guts to have a go at that yet.

Do you load up bags etc with basic hand tools, paint brushes and hire ladders, power tools etc? Hire a ute for pick up etc?

Cheers,
    Ben

Tony Fleming likes this.
  13. Tony Fleming

Hey Ben, pretty much I have a black garbage bag with cans of soda, spaghetti cans, bread, cheese spread, a sandwich press. Another bag with paint brushes, tools etc. Load up the personal car with the materials and head out. I mainly go interstate for tiling, painting and minor maitence. I've never done anything structural as its too hard. If I paid someone to measure a kitchen and they were off and I bought it here and got out there and it was the wrong sizing it would be a disaster. Its all preparation though. I've actually began measuring things like window blinds, kitchens and floor plans as I head down that way I've got them on record.

14. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

We did that on a villa. We didn't want to replace kitchen at the time.
    I took the doors off and did them at home. as you described in your first post. I bought a set of handles at Bunnings ($20). After 4 years it was looking as little tired but we ended up selling. Cheap fix with stick down vinyl floor from Bunnings.

Attached Files:

bob shovel and Tony Fleming like this.
  15. Tony Fleming

Looks good

16. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Ok, Thanks. I'll have one to do up in Cairns at some point, so just trying to plan how I'll do it, most likely will need to fly up though.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've thought about this too, I guess you would have to buy all of the cheap stuff and treat it like it's disposable. Unless you have a shed at the IP to store all of the stuff.

18. 212

212 Guest

We Have done that over a long weekend, we also changed benchtop / sink / mixer / tiles. We used the Zinsser Water based primer after a light sand. then we used the enamel paint. it has been their for almost a year and it is very nice. it costed us 300$ for the primer / paint / handles / Sander / sanding paper / air brush. I am attaching the before and after. wet weather will take time for the paint to dry and you have 2 sides and 3 coats each side (1 primer and 2 enamel coats). Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Ramez

Attached Files:

property world and WattleIdo like this.
  19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

So you didn't need laminate paint? That before shot very similar to my cupboards. Wow, looks good with the make-over. Wouldn't know it's the same place.

20. 212

212 Guest

@WattleIdo , I didn't need the laminate paint. I went to Wattyl, store is less busy than bunning. took one item with me, and the guys explained everything and all the steps. it is fairly easy. first time for me. but did watch lots of you-tube videos.

Thanks
    Ramez

WattleIdo likes this.