Paint over wallpaper?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by GreenGoblin, 23rd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

Lol I've done it, gave up after we spent a whole day trying to remove it in one room. Took so much time. Tenants didn't even know the difference

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It is good to have a wallpaper person on the forum, and I agree with all you say, but it is sometimes better to just paint over it rather than spend a week getting it off. I've taken off plenty of wallpaper using soaking and/or steamer, and goodness knows what glue they used "back in the day" but some of it just won't come off.

When it came to painting over paper stuck fast or taking several days to get it off, I chose to slice down the corner and paint it (again). At $600 a week lost rent, one day was more than enough time wasted.

But all things being equal, getting the paper off is preferable.

I wonder if it comes down to maybe the plaster walls never having been sealed first. The houses we had most trouble with had horsehair plaster so they didn't even have paper coating that could maybe have soaked up the glue and stuck the paper fast.

I do know that over the years we've had trouble with peeling paint on ceilings that clearly had never been sealed initially. There are products to help stick the paint to these badly prepared surfaces, but dealing with these ceilings (mostly ceilings I've found) is a pain.

Do you think bad preparation is a key to why wallpaper is so hard to get off 40 years later?

I've sworn and cursed the people who put the paper up, thinking it is so pretty, when all it has caused me is grief and angst when it comes time to get it off :mad:.

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

We stripped 2 bedrooms, half a kitchen and an 8 metre wall of wallpaper in our PPOR in 13 hours with a steamer. I struggled to get anywhere with it but my wife was a wallpaper removing champion and made it look easy.

Why would stripping wallpaper present a concern re: asbestos given that it's done sopping wet and you're not breaking the friable fibres of the wall itself? I get that subsequently sanding the wall if needed could pose an issue but stripping it, surely not?

4. GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin Well-Known Member

The property's tenanted now (though we did have to drop the rent $20 p.w. - it's an old house and does need doing up). Given that, we may tackle the wallpaper when the tenants move out, so will leave things as they are for now. Thanks to everyone for their advice and the pros/cons of painting over wallpaper. Hopefully others benefit from this advice too.

Cheers,
    GG

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

+1, as there's no stickies hopefully they learn how to use the search feature otherwise its back to the start.

Well done on letting without doing any work to it ;)

6. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

We need Pa1nter - where is he...

7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Seriously. Dont remove wallpaper. Ive done it a few timea. And basically everytime ive stopped halfway or done one room and given up.

And thats using a hired wallpaper removal unit

Its hidesouly time consuming

I was getting used to it and i recall it took maybe 3 to 5 hours per room...... multiply that by 8 to 10 for a while house and it easily takes a week.

Never ever ever again

I just painted over it. Yes you can tell its wall paper but as long as the original isnt ripped everywhere it doesnt look too bad. It almost becomes part of the scenery

Paint paint paint!!!

8. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

I just spent about 15-18 hours removing wall paper from 3 bedrooms and 1 lounge room.
    Hired a steamer from bunnings for 2 days.

Very boring work but I would do it again if it was worth it, especially since the people living there were heavy smokers and it smelt really bad.

WattleIdo likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.