Paint colour suggestions. Feature wall combo

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by giraffez, 4th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ForReal

ForReal Member

Thanks for the suggestions - ran out of time due to other deadlines, but will add it to my "future paint" list!

Went with lexicon full strength with vivid white semi gloss trims. It is a lot lighter (and totally different) to what I intended to do, but it looks neat and fresh now, with just a slight hint of grey.

At least it is only a small place, so can always change at another time if the lexicon doesn't seem to work...

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures of it completed?

@Westminster I can't find Brume or Rottness Island on the Dulux website, I'm not sure if its been discontinued.

Is there any other suggestions that would be similiar, how about winter fog? I can't find any examples at 50%.

Or Terrace White seems to be a possibility.

Regards,
    Arc

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's still possible to get from paint shops and I got sample pots of it only last week mixed up at Bunnings.

Brume S12A1 - s12 | Dulux Colour
    Rottnest Island SW1B6 - sw1 | Dulux Colour

Archaon likes this.
  4. Archaon

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

How did you tell Terrace White was 'cool' and Brume Half, 'warm'?

6. Westminster

Looking at the pictures above I would agree and say Terrace is cool and Brume is warm but monitors don't always tell the truth.

The technical answer is in the RGB numbers for each. Generally the more R (Red) you have the warmer the colour and the more B (Blue) you have the cooler the colour
    Brume 50% https://www.dulux.com.au/colours/details/287969_9398 has R214 G213 B210 So it has slightly more red than blue making it a warm colour but still quite neutral as it's not a lot more.
    Terrace White https://www.dulux.com.au/colours/details/228002_200853 has R215 G218 B216 so it has slightly more Blue than Red making it a cool colour

Lacrim likes this.
  7. Archaon

Perhaps my monitor and phone are pretty colour correct, but the Brume looks slightly Brown, whilst the Terrace White looks slightly Blue.

I ended up going with Tranquil retreat as the builder wouldn't do Brume Half, I'm happy with the warm tone and colour.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm now looking for a very subtle grey/almost off white for the exterior of a house but not the same tone as the white trims. Any suggestions?

I've seen a couple of examples in my neighbourhood and am in two minds about leaving a note in their mailbox re what colour they used.

Most accurate way to get the desired outcome unfortunately bc the colour cards are useless. And I'm not in the right frame of mind or have time to get 10 diff sample pots.

9. Westminster

What are you painting the paint onto? It will look different depending on what the base surface is and/or if it's a render

Do you know which white the trims will be?

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes its going on EXTERIOR render (on brick). White trims for front window - it will be a flat, bright white...the painter was saying no to Vivid though.

11. Westminster

A nuanced question - will you be painting on top of an existing render or you are applying a coloured render like Acratex?

Painters hate Vivid because it has poor coverage as there is no tint in it. Takes more coats to give good coverage. You may have better luck asking your painter if they will do Lexicon quarter strength. If it's on wooden windows then there are more options as many will come up fresh, bright and white.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah painting on existing render. Its currently a darker shade of grey that I want to lighten up.

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Earth Child....Wattyl color.....or Greyology 1 or 2...

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Sash tx that's pretty close to what I'm looking for.

15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

OK I'll send my color consultation fee....to you ;)

I used Earth Child on a Hamptons House I am building.

Surfmist looks white in the sun and very light white grey in shadows.

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I think the sure fire way is to be a creepy stalker and write little notes asking owners to sms you with the colour they used. Some will oblige. That way no mistakes will be made.

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Buy a Coloursmith device and "steal" any colour idea anywhere. You can be in a shop and see a cushion and match the paint to that. In a display home or at a friends house.

18. Melburnian007

Melburnian007 Well-Known Member

I have zero colour sense haha, so I am glad I invested in a colour consultant from Dulux for our PPOR. This was in 2012. She was worth every dollar and more.

Will post some pictures if anyone's interested.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think there are plenty of us here who love a picture.

Melburnian007 likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.