Paint colour suggestions. Feature wall combo

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by giraffez, 4th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

ah I see I confused you a little but a quick painting 101

You can get normal strengths of colours and it would be called Brume.
    That is what we will now call a 100% or full strength tint.
    Sometimes that colour is a bit dark but you like the tones (you have now discovered this issue)
    So you can dilute the colour like you would cordial
    You can get 1/2 (or 50% tint) and 1/4 (or 25% tint)

I was referring originally to two different colours in 2 different strengths. I like to do my trim (window frames, skirting boards etc) in a 25% strength of Dulux Lexicon (I don't like full strength of this colour) and then the walls in 50% strength of Dulux Brume

Certainly you could go full strength in a room which is larger and has plenty of natural light. I tend to go with the lighter version as I build quite small and I don't want it to compete with anyone's furniture and just remain in the background.

giraffez likes this.
  2. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Good, I'm with you now! Finally starting to follow :D

Thanks

My living room is quite big and also has a big window smack in the centre. But i'm always a bit cautious of darker shades, after the second coat, the room can get rather dark. Maybe i opt for the 3/4 tint (there should be such a thing right?).

What is the rule for whites? The lexicon on the colour wheel doesn't look white white. Should the white be as white as possible to contrast the grey ? Something like Dulux Vivid White or does it need a bit of colour.

The ceiling is the standard ceiling white right?

What do you think about the following colours for bedrooms?

They look rather similar in the pictures below but you can see the difference in colour here:
    Decoration Ideas - Paint a Room - Just Walnut - Dulux

Decoration Ideas - Paint a Room - Nutmeg White - Dulux

JUST WALNUT
    justwalnut.jpg

NUTMEG WHITE
    0298615_l3.jpg

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Nope, with timber look flooring, timber blinds, gloss trim, it looks fine to me & those around me who don't have a prob being blunt honest.
    It's other areas that let places down, like kitchen & bathroom.

I'm not aware anyone charges for tint, it's free, so not stingy, but also not reckless, taste is a personal thing, not everyone likes something, can't please them all.

Up to readers if they use any of our advice, other than a feel good for helping others, no loss or gain for me either way.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Hatred, cruelty, drab - bound to make anyone's day wonderful.

5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I have white duck throughout my house. White ceilings, white skirting, architraves, etc...

painted @ 7 years ago. Still looks great.

It's found its way into several friends and families homes now, as well :)

Works with light or dark furniture... tiles, or floor boards.

IMG_0072.jpg IMG_0071.jpg

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2017
    Gockie, WattleIdo and Westminster like this.
  6. giraffez

Nice. Thanks.

On the skirts, is semi gloss too shinny? Or is it gloss but still matte like. I don't like full gloss

7. giraffez

Another question, are all paint colours readily available. I'm googling a whole bunch of colours but I'm not sure whether its available.

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Very nice. From what I can see there is a slight move towards the light browns again ie teas, cinnamons, walnuts, etc.

9. giraffez

Yes. :confused: haha moving to the browns again..... But I am taking the suggestion to use grey. Grey for all the common areas. and the browns for the bedrooms, add some variety into it yet still being conservative with colour.

10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

White duck really is very versatile and beautiful.

11. giraffez

Yes thats very nice also. I'll probably go half on this, it looks rather dark.

Will bunnings be able to mix any colour i find on the internet? Some colours I find people talk about (probably in the states), but i can't seem to find it on the suppliers website.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Bunnings will be able to mix any colour that is produced by one of the paint brands they sell.

You just need to tell them the name.

giraffez likes this.
  13. giraffez

Ok I went to bunnings today and they can't locate the Brume colour. :(. They did have the tranquil retreat. Haven't gotten it yet.

Westminster, where did you get it? The nutmeg white and just walnut colour (i saw it on the dulux UK site) they don't have either.

For walls, do you usually go semi gloss or low sheen?

14. Westminster

It is a tint that is in the Dulux book - they make it with the untinted tins. Sometimes the really popular colours are already made up and on the shelf but Brume won't be.
    For walls I go a wash and wear like Dulux 101. For trim/skirting/architrave I go aquaenamel semi gloss as the oil based ones tend to go yellow after awhile and the water based aqua-enamel doesn't

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Me too. Dulux 101 low sheen and aqua enamel semi gloss.

If you are DIYing the aqua enamel, use that additive which extends the working time and reduces brush marks so it ends up with a smoother finish - closer to the look you get with oil based paints

16. giraffez

Thanks.

I'm looking to do a low sheen, i'm worried that a semi gloss will be too shinny for walls. Do people tend to use the low sheen for internal walls?

Even for the trims, I don't like a glossy one. I want one that is more matte looking.

Do you have any tips on selecting whether to go with the full strength or half strentgh.

Westminster, I note in your earlier post you mentioned if the space is big and has natural light, going full strength may be suitable. Is this the only guideline i can go by?

17. Westminster

It really depends on how dark the colour is but if in doubt, go 50%.
    You can ring Dulux and get A4 sheets of their colours so you can put them on walls and see how the light plays with the colours.
    Or just get the sample pots and do some painting.

18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

1/2 strength or even 1/4. Satin/ eggshell / 5-10% gloss on the walls (wash and wear) and semi-gloss on trims. Dulux have a great oil based undercoat which can be used everywhere or you can get an acrylic one like Taubmans 3 in 1 or Dulux 4 in 1. I love dulux.

19. giraffez

There is quarter strength 25% and half strength 50%. Is there such thing as 3/4 strength 75%?

20. Westminster

it's probably mathematically possible but I've never heard of it being done.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.