Paint colour suggestions. Feature wall combo

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by giraffez, 4th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Hi I like to seek some suggestions on colours for the interior. What is a good conservative combination of colours for a large living room. There is a feature wall as well. I want to keep the room light.

This is for a house built I think around 1960s or 70s.

I'm thinking a light olive shade for the walls but not sure what colour for the feature. Or a light sandy brown or beige wall, again not sure what feature wall colour.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

We're in more of a whites and light grey era now. I'd steer clear of brown /beige/green.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

If it's for an IP, why would you want the trouble of trying to match a color to do a simple patch repair, rather than simply grabbing a standard color/tin straight off the shelf

4. giraffez

Sorry never done this before. Yes for a IP.

The property hasn't been painted for many years, hoping to do a refresh coat. When you say standard colour - you mean like white? Sorry as i've said never done this before.

5. giraffez

Light grey is good - what colour feature wall will match light grey. White is not going to look well in my property. Its not a modern one.

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I wouldn't bother with a feature wall - tenants may not like them and they can date.

That said I did a black (Dulux domino) feature wall in one of mine so don't listen to me!!

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of feature walls - I'm more of an all or nothing person. Either paint the whole room the same colour or keep it white IMO

Gladys likes this.
  8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's a no from me for feature walls - just paint the room all one colour
    What colour is the floor and does it flow onto any other room like a kitchen? What colour are their walls?

My favourite colours are
    1. Dulux Brume 50% tint with trim in Dulux Lexicon 25% tint
    2. Dulux White Duck with trim in Dulux Lexicon 25% tint (or White Duck in semi gloss)

Perthguy likes this.
  9. giraffez

I thought the feature wall makes the property stand out. At least thats what caught my attention when i visited for the first time.

No kitchen is seperate. It flows into the dining room.

Its all floor boards.

Are these colours shades of white? Is there a sample i can refer to on the internet?
    Thanks

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2017
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I still favour mission brown and khaki

11. Westminster

This is Brume 1/2 tint that I used with the Lexicon at one of my developments 107 Aviator Boulevard, Clarkson, WA 6030 - View Sold History & Research Property Values - realestate.com.au
    Its sort of a warm grey (greige)

White Duck is very well used and you'll find heaps of images on the net

12. giraffez

Thanks for that. I can't really tell this is a grey colour from the photo. Looks white. But i looked it up on google and it looks darker than your photo, could be the mixture you added.

Something like this looks good:

brume dulux Lexicon - Google Search:

Apparently this is "grey pebble". Maybe a shade lighter. Is this colour okay with white skirts and ceiling.

Is it common to use the same colour throughout the house. Or rooms should be a different colour?

13. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Cherie Barber has the grey and white combo down to a tee. Here is an example of something that turns up in Google Images under her name.

grey and white.JPG

Savy mum and Perthguy like this.
  14. giraffez

Thats very nice. Is the colour by supplier of the paint?

15. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Much simpler short and long term keeping it white, as is straight off the hardware shelf, no tinting.
    Color from flooring, window coverings, furniture etc will soften the initial sterile appearance.

Here's your shopping list;
    Wall paper on wall paper

16. giraffez

Haha thanks but i'll leave it to the professionals to paint. My job is just to pick the colour.

I really don't think my property will do well with white walls and it will look too clinical. As a tennant i also prefer a bit of colour.

I'm think i'm falling for dulux tranquil retreat - but I'm not too sure I want full strength. The colour palette on its own looks a lot darker than in the photos of sample houses (and they claim to use full strength).
    Top Results | Dulux

The other grey is grey pebble quarter strength (i can't seem to find this on dulux website au, maybe its an obsolete colour).

Or Polished pebble, is this a bit too cold? Decoration Ideas - Paint a Room - Polished Pebble - Dulux

Nutmeg white for rooms?
    Decoration Ideas - Paint a Room - Nutmeg White - Dulux

There are so many whites! I think i'm starting to lose it hahaha. Which white should i pick that I can't go wrong with. Dulux Vivid White, Whisper White?

17. Westminster

Dulux tranquil retreat in half tint (aka 50% tint) is very nice.

I'm not sure why my picture looked like Brume was a white colour to you? It's quite similar to Tranquil Retreat but a smidgen warmer

Brume 50% tint:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Savy mum and Jess Peletier like this.
  18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Does it not worry you that you would turn off nearly anyone with a modicum of taste? Seems you would create a self-fulfilling prophecy. Tint either costs nothing or six bucks max. While I believe in keeping things simple and making the property as tenant proof as possible, being a stingy tasteless buzzard would not be doing yourself any favours, surely. How many times have you posted it and still ... no takers ...
    Like a colour troll :p

19. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

And don't we know it?
    Every time ...
    Any new material? Someone give this guy an aspirin .... and a glass of milk. What a sweetie kiss kiss kiss

20. giraffez

Ah very nice indeed!:) I like it!

Its probably the lighting on the photo but in real life, does it appear a bit light? If it was like 10-20% darker, it would have more contrast with the white?

I know why. I went to the link again. I looked at the photo the link took me to. I didn't think of clicking on it to see more photos. So all i saw was the first picture of the external setting.... which looked white!:p

My fault.

When you say Brume 50% tint, is this Brume half strength? Meaning its not as dark as if it was full strength? You also mentioned in your previous post you used Lexicon. Are you saying you mixed some of the Lexicon into the Brume or the Lexicon was the white you used for the skirts.