Painful sale

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Travelbug, 4th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I have bought and sold aver a dozen properties but this last one was certainly the most painful.

5 weeks ago I sold one in Sydney. Got an offer at the first open, negotiated, signed (with the agent) and exchanged contracts within the week. Cooled off 6 days. Done.

Silly me assumed that's how everyone (in NSW anyway did it these days).

How wrong was I. Selling another one and the agent just shows the property and that's it. He's finished. The rest is what we pay solicitors are for as far as he's concerned.

Anyone else had this archaic selling method? Took weeks for contracts to be exchanged all with nothing committed from the buyer. So my property is sitting empty waiting. If they changed their mind after 2-3 weeks I start again. Luckily it's exchanged now.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd love a hint posted as to who that agent is.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Purple Bricks?

4. Travelbug

No. Standard agent. Apparently that's the way they do it. Haven't struck anything like it since i sold a house in 1994.
    My solicitor said he's done a few like that, even in Sydney.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

What on earth? I have never seen anything like this. For my purchases in Perth the longest it has taken to exchange contracts is 48 hours from inspection. When I sold it was 24 hours. Weeks is crazy!

6. Travelbug

Tell me about it!! I was shocked. Over 3 weeks sitting waiting. The agent kept saying "he's serious, I'm sure it will be OK". The buyer said he was trying to get an appointment to sign but the solicitor was busy. He finally signed and we exchanged last Friday.
    So stressful! I'm definitely asking the question when I sell again .

BTW If anyone in Sydney needs an AMAZING agent ring Leighton Avery- from Award Group. Google his name for contact details. He came out and gave us ideas for styling. He even went to the shop where he bought his flooring to take a photo to show me. Then he was in Bunnings and sent me a photo of a vanity he thought would look good in my unit. I can honestly say I would not have achieved such a great price with another agent. He sold my Meadowbank property a few years ago. My last sale was in Blacktown and he researched and found who my buyers would be, where things were in the local area etc etc. I will be using Leighton for any future sales in Sydney.