Owners rushing to sell

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by DowntownBlock, 12th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Good luck! And ferries are generally fine, they only service certain areas though. But if I was in Parramatta or Meadowbank and had the options to go to the city in peak hour commuting via ferry, rail, driving or bus, for me, rail wins. Speed and frequency.

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Auction rates were again < 70%. I, for one welcome this as it puts less pressure/one less excuse for the RBA to cool the market via interest rates. In hindsight, I'm glad APRA slammed the brakes as well because we were going into no man's land territory.

Heard on TV the other day also that building approvals and commencements are now past their peak in Sydney. Beyond the next 12-24 months, we may start to see rents spike up. That will hopefully support prices a bit more because the fundamentals are out of whack atm as everyone knows.

I'm still banking on an orderly slow down and graduation to normalcy in the market. But all in all, I think Sydney has formed a new base and those quietly praying for prices to come back to a la 2012 prices will be disappointed. As I said before, the opportunity for the average investor to break into the Sydney market has closed - possibly forever.

S1mon, Westie and Dean Collins like this.
  3. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

Spoke to a friend who is an agent in inner west Sydney. Rental prices are coming under pressure. Rents for larger self detached houses are being reduced regularly.

Many many examples of >10% rent reductions in last couple of years.

JL1 and korando1234 like this.
  4. DowntownBlock

It seems Sydney inner city property prices must keep going up to ensure capital gains because it seems it is certainly NOT the yield increase from rent that will make an investment profitable anytime soon.

5. New2prop

New2prop Well-Known Member

That's news! My rent increased $20.

6. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Yes news to me as well

7. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

News to me too, I have been expecting rental demand to increase as people are priced out of buying, reluctant to purchase at peak, or selling at peak to rent.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The inference I'm getting from studying rental listings where my properties are (inner, fringe and outer) is that its a mixed bag. Having said that, I reckon there's a little more pressure upwards than say, same time a year ago.

9. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

Mixed bag sounds right. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Spring.

10. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

I attended some auctions on the weekend. It really is a mixed bag - there was a place in Lilyfield which sold a good $150K above listing and then an uninhabitable Stanmore one which was around $1.3m (arguably not a bad price for the area, would easily need to spend couple hundred grand) and another Stanmore that didn't attract a single bid (called in at $2.08m, I think the vendor was asking too much). With clearance <70% again, I will be interested to see how the Spring season plays out as there should be more listings.

11. DowntownBlock

JesseT likes this.