Owners of the house do not respect the terms othe rental contract

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by 22358, 10th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 22358

22358 New Member

Hello,
    We are leasing a house in Yanchep, WA. A month ago we notified our real estate agent that air conditioning and retic system do not work. We were sent the contractors to check the situation but the owners do not agree upon the received quotations and so we continue living without air conditioning and retic system which is hard in summer.. Are there any deadlines for the owners to fix the problems? We try to finish the rental earlier but the real estate agent says we have no right to do so and we need to wait while "the owners make up their mind". Is there any legal deadline for this long waiting time? Or the owners are free to lose time, change different contractors and continue their research for the best quotation?...

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be checking with the authority that makes the rules in WA. I'd think one month in WA without air conditioning, and coming into the hottest part of the year would mean you could possibly give notice that you are leaving early without penalty.

I'm not sure what retic system is or how living without it affects you?

But air conditioning is part of the lease, and you've not had it for a month and counting. I'd be making a fuss over this for sure.

I don't know the rules, but one month is a long time for owners to "make up their mind".

3. 22358

22358 New Member

Thank you !!! What authority could we contact in this case, you think?

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Contact Tenancy WA, who do a statewide tenancy phone advice service. Otherwise your local tenant advocacy service is the Northern Suburbs CLC based in Joondalup I believe.

I suspect the latter will be better if you can book in with them without too much of a wait time.

5. chooke

chooke Well-Known Member

At the very least the landlord should be compensating you with a rent reduction while you are without airconditioning - put in a breach notice.

As for the retic, that is a hassle no doubt but generally, you'd still be required to maintain the gardens.