Owner responsibilities - strata warehouse

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by Beachsnow, 21st Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beachsnow

Beachsnow Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

with a recent warehouse purchase I’m trying to establish what my responsibilities are with regard to Queensland fire compliance. Being in a strata complex is there anything I need to do with maintaining fire compliance or is that the responsibility of the tenant or even then body corporate?

Are there any other owner responsibilities I need to be aware of?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Annual Fire Safety Statement (each state varies in their requirements) and will depend upon your lease.

Generally, tenant is responsible for the testing of any required services required by their usage (eg fire blanket, CO², set powder extinguishers, extra exit lighting), owner is responsible for base building services (required by BCA for the building/tenancy), strata is responsible for any shared services (who monitored fire alarm system or AFSS for the complex).

qak likes this.
  3. Beachsnow

Beachsnow Well-Known Member

thanks @Scott No Mates

So is there an annual inspection involved with maintaining compliance and if so, who organises and pays for this?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

For NSW (at least), workcover requires that the occupant test the extinguishers, exit/emergency lights etc every 6 months, council requires the the AFSS to be provided annually (& pay the registration fee).

The OC may arrange the annual testing and certificate however if there is no obligation on the OC, then it will be up to the individual owners to arrange their own.

5. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I owned 12 industrial units [NSW] and every 12 months an inspection by an accredited fire security firm was required by the local council with the results sent to the council and the AFSS. The fire extinguishers were tested and replaced if necessary. I paid a fee to the council and the fire security firm.
    I had to attend to make sure everyone was there to provide access and use my keys to open units when the owners were absent.
    I dreaded those days - it was like herding brown's cows [tenants] ... :D

Beachsnow likes this.