Travel & Holidays Overseas COVID travel insurance

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ronen, 8th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Would love some insight for others;
    We've booked an overseas trip for Dec, going to visit the family after 3 years we couldn't.

The tickets are quite expensive as it is, so they are, naturally - non-refundable.
    My credit card (Bankwest Platinum) include an ok travel insurance that can be upgraded to a good o/s insurance for a fee, but it does not include anything to do with COVID. Not if I'm getting it there and need treatment nor if I or someone in the family gets it a day before the flight and we all need to isolate and miss the flight.

So I did some search and there's no much. Not many want to insure anything to do with COVID. They all have expiations.
    I found this gang: Home which seems to have the lease worse COVID insurance of them all (all cover up to $5,000 for booking and they cover $7,000. Still not the full amount I need, but that's the best I could find)

The rest of the policy is the usual. Nothing to write home about.

My question: am I missing something? Is there a catch or this is legit and I could sleep well knowing I'm not gonna lose heaps of money if the days leading to the flight some COVID decides to visit my family?

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Not sure where you're going but some of the countries that insist you have insurance for COVID actually offer COVID specific insurance (and nothing else).

Everything else travel insurance wise will/should be covered by traditional travel insurance.

3. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

I'm going to Israel.
    They require you'd have COVID insurance, but are not specifying one that you have to have.
    They just wanna know that if you fall sick, you can pay your medical and hospital bills.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've been researching this a bit (OS trip in July) and the insurance company I have used before seems to have the coverage I need Cover-More Australia

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah I get why they want you covered...but they don't tell you how do they, when the major local (Australian) insurers give COVID specific coverage a wide berth.

Hopefully they'll remove this requirement when its time for you to travel. A few countries are heading that way.

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've looked into STCI (recommended on this forum I think?) recently and it seems we can get cover for an upcoming cruise (several months away). We will be doing a cruise and some land content and I believe CoverMore doesn't cover us for our cruise portion, but I'll check further as we get closer.

We have booked flights that we can cancel or change and paid a $99 per person insurance (Flight Centre) which means we don't have to pay a fee to change the flights, and if the prices drop, we will get the difference back.

We've travelled in the past with AllClear travel insurance due to a medical condition that means most insurers will not cover us. Right now, they are not doing OS cover, but I'm hoping they will start that again before we leave. Otherwise, the cover with STCI I found appears to cover us for everything other than the actual pre-existing condition. AllClear is the best cover for our situation and if we can't get that cover, we will cover ourselves as best we can, or may choose to postpone the trip.

We can cancel the cruise up til about three days prior to leaving and get a credit to book another one. I believe we can only do this once and if we cancel the second one, it is lost. I have a lot of homework to do before choosing an insurer, and am hoping AllClear is offering OS travel insurance before we have to make a call on going with less than 100% cover.

This overseas travel has become very tricky.

7. GreenTreeFrog

GreenTreeFrog Well-Known Member

Lacrim likes this.
  8. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

They are the ones Bankwest work with.
    I think I could only find them to insure $5,000 for cancellation or delays due to COVID.
    Do you, by any chance, found an option for more? I actually prefer them over the one I've purchased and I'm still in the cooling off period.

9. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Ouch.... They all very sensitive to cruises these days.
    It seems it's almost impossible to insure if you go anywhere near a boat.
    Apart from the natural "it's came on a boat" type of feeling, why cruises considered higher risk than flights? After all, 24 hours in enclosed metal tube with recycled air sounds to me much risker than the wideness of the ship spaces, and the fresh air.

GreenTreeFrog likes this.
  10. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

And expensive!!!!
    It was never small change, but gee - everything is super complex and expensive.

11. Ronen

Ronen Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are my "go to" insurars.
    But their COVID policy covers only $5,000.

GreenTreeFrog likes this.