Overgrown hedge (leylandii?) Trim or remove?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by chunho01, 8th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chunho01

chunho01 Well-Known Member

I have two overgrown hedges, which I believe are leylandii, a type of conifer. Don't quote me on the species though.

I would like to cut them back hard or I am forced to remove them completely. They are very overgrown. I asked three gardeners:
    1. "You can prune them back. They won't die unless you touch the trunk."
    2. "I won't recommend removing them at all. You can cut them back 0.35m each side and top. It'll be neat. They won't die"
    3. "Nah, they are long gone! You'll have to cut them to the ground. You can see there are brown patches already and they'll die. If left alone, they'll crack the grounds and all too."
    The problem with removing them completely is that will leave a big patch of brown land and costly. But if I trim them back and they end up dying, it's worse!

Any idea? I attached some photos.

20200307_095630.jpg 20200307_095331.jpg front.JPG conifer.JPG two.JPG

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Likely you will be removing them.
    Regular trimming to maintain a shape and size is ok because it will sprout, but cutting back to old timber it isn't likely to regrow...
    Cut a branch or two as a trial (usually in spring as it is more likely to grow)

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You can only trim conifers a little bit so I agree with #2.

But it depends if you want to keep the trees or get rid of them. Won’t cost too much to turf over the bare area.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They look like they're past their useby date but that's not to say you can't keep them going. Give them a trim and a feed then follow up a couple of months on. If they put up their toes, no great loss find an alternative plant which you could keep under control eg. Murraya.

wylie likes this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

If this is in country Victoria, were they planted as a wind-break? Often seen on the road from Ballarat to Warrnambool. In which case, I might try to convince you to keep them.

If it's just a resi garden in the burbs - they look like some species of Cypress (which termites don't eat) - another vote for giving them a dose of chainsawitis - cut them down completely.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Check with council first if you plan to remove as you may need a permit. Hefty penalties apply if you prune more than 10% or remove a tree / hedge etc. One of your neigbours will be straight onto council anyway.

Joynz and Propertunity like this.
  7. chunho01

I am prepping it for a sale; decision will have to be based on a short-term outcome. Ie. whichever that lead to max value.

Western Melbourne suburb. The area can be quite windy to be honest. The hedges were already there when I bought the place years ago.

Swear tree removal is more complicated than it should be. I still don't know where to look. The area is part of NRZ1 and in this pdf, there's a line that says "A minimum of 2 medium sized trees of 6-12metres (at maturity) should be provided in the front setback." But is this only for new developments? Ie. subdividing it into two units.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Aaaaargh, another 'prepper'. :eek:

To guarantee the best price, have the bathrooms staged with rolls of TP.

9. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

Follow gardeners 1 & 2 , a shape/trim all round slightly heavier close to the house and fence. The 3rd gardener is on drugs.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you are prepping for sale, I wouldn't touch them. Even trimming them will allow the dead inner areas to be much more visible.

11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

This might be a bit expensive. If it can be done at all.

12. chunho01

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Call the Council for the correct information.
    Those look like trees to me and I would expect they fit under that criteria.