Overcharged by a handyman

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by sue Casey, 12th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Lol how about being overcharged $1500 ...cant even trusts mates these days.

2. sue Casey

sue Casey Member

Hi One of the reasons I paid a handyman to do the blinds was to try to find a good handyman in town that I could get in when needed, well I found out who not to get in.Below is the response to me letting them know blind fell down:

"Have looked at the photos of the blinds. S.. has advised that the brackets supplied by yourself with the blinds were inferior. Happy to acquire new brackets which will be at cost to you plus the time it will take for reinstallation which is $100 per hour."

The blinds were from spotlight and came with brackets have used them before no problems
    I agree with the response that I should have been more careful and yes I have learned a good lesson at no great cost.
    Jac M thanks I will try to get them to send an itemized invoice.
    Kinnon Bell I agree I should have asked a lot more questions upfront. To clarify I had him come around to install the blinds, and also asked him to quote repairs to the carport . The carport is a classic case of bad workmanship the beams are too small and the posts are rotting and supported by brick its amazing the only good bit is the tin roof.
    The town has a population around 4,000 and about 150km from Margaret River, the maintenance man lives close by.Well I don't think he is going to do too well in this town.Thanks again everyone.Sue

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I hope you haven't paid him. The blind installation was clearly faulty.

I have no issue with tradies charging for quotes - because lots of people will get five or six quotes and just waste a tradie's time.

However, since you had engaged him for work to be carried out on the same visit, I think the quote should have been included at no extra charge, since he was already onsite.

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2016
    Phase2 and datto like this.
  4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

The brackets that came with the roman blinds I got from spotlight are not faulty but you do have to move the arm up and over the lip - much more than the instructions tell you.

Hanging Roman Blinds

And as above, agree. If tradie gets the work, the quote not charged. Especially if they did the quote and the work at the same time. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 14th Oct, 2016
    Phase2 likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You bought some dodgy blind from spotlight and had a blind installer instal it ? Perhaps it was cheap rubbish ?

Most tradies wont sell rubbish as it reflects on their workmanship or takes far too long to install. They wont resell Bunnings bargain blinds for a reason. Many will charge or quote just as much to install as a supply and install if they dont know what you will hand them. A blind installer will know his product and wont supply crap as he doesnt want a call back or a fair trading complaint.

I had a number of blind replaced in a IP and took guy 10mins with a cordless to do each window. I had ordered each in advance with all sizes etc. Extra cost to install was like $30 a blind incl travel. His clips where all solid steel and he tied down all cords and clipped blinds down etc. No mess to cleanup. Bargain if you ask me. I unlocked and left within the hour. I have not had a tenancy complaint = happy me.,

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That's pretty harsh, Paul.

I have installed Spotlight blinds with excellent results. No complaints from my tenants either.

Spotlight sells quite a few different brands.

The OP's installer was a handyman, but even an inexperienced person can install blinds with a logical approach.