Over 50 & Now About to Lose Everything

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by nobal, 15th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Either start taking in boarders or look for a job To survive.

Forget the business courses and other rubbish.

You said you are a Chef or used to be one years aGo, then update your skills in cooking and start looking ... Walking at every pub in your city who maybe looking for cooks .
    Xmas is coming up... Surely some business 's will need a cook... ?

Then think positive of even starting a pub bistro... It sounds like you've gone off cooking or being a Chef?
    I dont know any Chefs out of work in Sydney but i realise your up in the Newcastle area where unemployment is high.

I guess if you figure it out ... The only way is to get a job plus rent out your bedrooms for flatshare.

If you sold your apartment you could look for another business to buy that is profitable.

Im getting mixed feelings about you .. Its sounds like your really not interested in working for others and want an easy way... I notice your post frm 2014 was basically the same as you are writing more than a year later .o_O

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Dec, 2015
    JacM likes this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

where does it say he's from newcastle? why do you always drop "taxi" and "newcastle" in almost every reply to new threads? Do you have something against newy? If you are talking unemployment in Newy being high, look at Central Coast where you bought. LMIP | Labour Market Information Portal

Phantom likes this.
  3. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I can understand your reluctance to go back to cooking.

Id get in touch with a financial councilor asap. they will be able to guide you in the next steps. basically, they can help you make an arrangement with the bank to make smaller payments. paying something (anything) means you get more time.

4. Darlinghurst Boy

Yes good advice ... Salvo ' s has Financial Counselling MoneyCare phone 13 72 58
    Please ring and ask them for assistance, they may liase with the banks for you.

You can also ring the Financial Ombudsman Service who will liase with banks and creditors 1300 367 287 . www.fos.org.au

As your a Centrelink Recipient you can also make a appointment with Centrelink Social Workers .
    As you seemed to be unemployed now for 12 months( going on your previous post some 14 months ago) you are now eligible for job programs where you salary will be paid for 6 months by Centrelink to your employer.
    This is why im starting to doubt your motivation ?

I believe some Banks eg , Westpac , ANZ have a "welfare" department that can assist with people like yourself, sorry i dont know their number but they can make payment arrangements and even put payments on hold .They are not widely known but deal with elderly customers, power of attorneys, injured people etc,
    Maybe someone here has the direct phone number to this Department for your bank ?

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Dec, 2015
  5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

We've all been in extremely uncomfortable positions at some stage or another and had to "eat concrete" and do things we didn't want to do, such as jobs we don't like. It's just gotta be done, at least for the interim. A better job can be moved towards once the immediate financial danger is under control. The reasons people end up in these situations are varied. Sometimes it can be nothing to do with the success of the business but something like sickness that went on a long time or resulted in an expensive medical procedure not covered by Medicare or Health Insurance. In the case of every single one of us, whether we are "ok at the moment" is not guaranteed to mean the same for the future, so there's a corner in the back of our minds ready to do the survival thing if things hit the fan and the need arises. In your case, it sounds like you're either going to have to take in a border and get some kind of money-paying job straight away, or put the house on the market. The bank is not going to let you keep the house indefinitely without making payments. It's that simple. So it is a matter of deciding if you are prepared to do what is necessary to try and keep the house. Which means taking in a boarder or selling it. And getting a job. A job that is available, not necessarily one that you'll like.

Another job idea is that I know that job networks will also assist with is obtaining a forklift license which can be a pathway into work in warehousing. The appeal of this is not having to buy nice clothes for work. In jobs like that you're often issued with clothing for work. So that's one less expense to worry about. I believe you have to get the forklift license and the "white card". Then secure work through job networks, temp agencies or direct with employers.

SerenityNow likes this.
  6. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Have to agree with shelving the startups. Extremely high risk and if you do sell (which I reccommend in this situation) you should live of this money sparingly untio your back on your feet with a secure job.

MTR likes this.
  7. teg499

teg499 Well-Known Member

I rekon
    sell up, pay off all debts, and start life again fresh with no debts but unlimited possibilities . Also you gotta change your thoughts otherwise you will get nowhere.

Terry_w likes this.
  8. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I have worked with a few people who commute from Lithgow and the Hunter to Sydney for work, they do it for years on end and are within a few years of your age.

I also work with a bloke who is 70, has no plans to retire and has held the same job for the last 55 years. He'll never get rich doing it but he'll have no debts and a comfortable life.

Spend time on the start-ups on the weekends and take whatever work you can the rest of the week - labour hire, lawn mowing, McDonalds, whatever pays the next bill.

9. nobal

nobal Member

I'm surprised it has been over a year since I first posted back about my concerns. Back then I was in a little different situation but similar. I had my credit card debt building up and I was getting into debt more each week. But I had my apartment tenanted then and getting good rent that paid for my mortgage and some of the expenses.

So what happened, well I continued to look for work in Sydney and I got a few jobs but had some bad luck and some things happened. I won;t go into all the details but my first job I got was in around Feb and it was for a really nice cafe. I did a trial and they said I worked well and wanted me to start. So I was so excited I had got a good chef job and I did my trial well. Then the night before I was about to start, the head chef sent me a text nearly at midnight and I was well asleep then as I had planned for days to get into a good sleeping pattern so I could get used to the early starts and I had to get about about 5am to prepare to go to my job, Well when he texted me he said he was not able to come into tomorrow morning for my first day but he said I can go anyway as the owner will be there and he can show me my job. So I tried to go back to sleep but I was a little nervous now as I liked working with the head chef but I did not feel that comfortable with the owner but I still went and I got there early but no one was there.

I waited and I then went to call the owner to see if he was coming and as I walked out to make a call holding my phone to my mouth I nearly bumped into him as he walked in and he looked surprised that I was there.

Anyway after that bad start I then was in the kitchen and he told me to put some spaghetti on the pot. I cook pasta all the time but it had been about a year I had done it in a commercial kitchen. I was a little nervous and had little sleep, I put the pasta on and left it to cook. Then he told me to make a recipe and told me to mix all the ingredients up in the blender. I was doing this as I was cooking the pasta and then I put some cheese in and it jammed the blender, this was a stupid mistake and I can't believe I did this but I was not thinking well and then I went to get the pasta and put it in the strainer. I put olive oil in and mixed it up and let it sit there on the bench while I went back to the stuck cheese in the blender and tried to sort that mess out. Then the owner came over and seen my mistakes. He suggest I cut the cheese up more etc but it was not working. Then he seen the pasta and then told me to throw it all away as I was meant to put it in the cooler to stop it from cooking. That was it, his office assistant came over and said "hey mate" we are not going to be needing you today as I need to be there when head chef is there. I said yeah Ok, I made some stupid mistakes. I asked if I was to come back tomorrow when the chef was there and she said sure.

So I came back the next day when he was there and I worked really well all day, make no mistakes and done a really good job. The owner came in just before I was leaving and I talked to the chef as I was leaving and told him that the day before was not that great and I hope the owner would still hire me. He said really? He did not know about the previous day.

Later that night I got a text from the head chef to say the owner does't think I need to come back as he was not happy about my previous day.

So I had a good job but lost it as fast as I found it.

My confidence was shattered but I did not give up, I decided to just look for kitchenhand jobs so there would be less pressure on expectations and I could work my way into a chef position.

So I got a job at an Italian restaurant and was mainly washing dishes, make salads, deserts and just general kitchen stuff. It was pretty easy but the head chef was a really nutter, threw plates on the floor when he was mad and walked around with this really ****** off attitude and he or hardly anyone there spoke English as well. I just didn't like him but I tried to get on and made small talk. I enjoyed the restaurant and I got on well with the waitresses. Then 2 weeks later I was told I'm not needed anymore. The owner said the head chef said I did not clean the kitchen properly the previous night which was not true. I had done a 12 hour shift and did 2 peoples jobs as some staff were at a festival. I could not believe it but again when I thought I could start paying my debts off I lose out.

But I did not give up and I got another job at a new Sydney Cafe/bar. I started there as kitchenhand. It went well and I enjoyed working there but it was heavy duty and I worked like a slave but I did not mind as I was bringing home over $200 or more on some days. After a week I was already doing chef stuff and then one chef was leaving so the head chef was going to train me up to be the sous chef. So I was serving out food, also doing kitchenhand stuff and basically working like a slave and I would say the place would have failed if I was not there as I was doing a lot and they had no one else interested as most of the staff had left.

I soon found out why. They kept stalling my pay, making excuses, and it dragged on just drip feeding me some of my pay. After nearly 2 months I had enough by then as the head chef who was only in his 20s told me and the other guy (Who was not meant to be working as he was a student or something from Nepal) a nice guy too and I would say he left when I did as he hated the head chef too. He told us both that we will go on weekly wages instead of the hourly rate we were getting. And it would be back dated 2 weeks. I said no way and I said you might be able to do this to foreign workers but not me and I told him where to go. The manager was also in on this to a degree but I made sure I got every cent they owed me and I did. That was not hard to do, it just meant paying a surprise visit on a busy evening and they soon promised to pay me when I raised my voice in from of customers. They thought they were going to screw me with my wages,basically cut them in half and back date it, it was unbelievable really but it just conformed to me that the Sydney hospitably industry is full of (insert any word here).

So that was it, I had enough of this horrible industry in Sydney.

At this time my apartment in Newcastle became vacant as the tenants moved out and I did not like the cockroach infested hole I was renting in Sydney so I decided to move back to my apartment and do some minor renovations while I was there, look for a flatmate and maybe get a job there. My agents also screwed me with finding another tenant and they did not even look so that is why I moved back in too as I waited for a few weeks but they did not even look.

After I moved in I advertised for weeks for a flatmate but did not find anyone. I only wanted a female as I did not want to share with a slobby male I did not know. I had one girl check it out but with no furniture I guess it was not for her. After that I could not be bothered so I just turned the room into storage and made the whole place my bit studio with art and projects all around.

Finding a job in Newcastle is not easy. I went to 2 trials but I think they wanted a young person and I did not fit in. I'm also finding it hard to read the tiny print on dockets these days as my eyes just arn't the same. That made me look slow at my last trial. Also the guys I had to work with were all in early 20's and I just was not as fast as them at over 50 now and I had not been in job for months so I was also much slower and in a kitchen I did not know. Anyway I don't think I was that bad but after a 5 hour shift for free and not even offered a meal, plus a 1 hour train trip it was not enjoyable.

After that you would think I would not ever want to work in another restaurant again but I have still kept trying. I don't know why but there are very few other jobs I can get now. I have also started apply for IT jobs as I have skills, applied for jobs at Coles, woolies and Bunnings but they sent me an email today to say my application was rejected and I'm not wanted for the next stage. nothing new...

At least in Sydney there is many jobs even if they only last a few week so I started making some inquires there again. It will be hell thought working on a 12 hour kitchen shift. You get all your feet blistered up and I still have scars from blisters 8 months ago in Sydney when my feet nearly feel off.

After 12 hours running around like a madman at over 50 then getting on a train to come home for a 3 hour trip each way, I will only get home, be able to take a quick snack and have to get on the train again for the morning shift. I'm not sure I can do this anymore. I could do that earlier this year but it took me weeks to get fit enough to be able to cope with that and I only had a 30 minute ride home then, not 3 hours each way. But I have no choice and I just have to try. There are no jobs around this place.

Anyway, that is a bit of history with what I have been doing since. I have just been trying to find a job, found some but got fired as usual. I hate it but I really have been trying. In Newcastle I have sent out so many applications that there is no places left here that I have not already tried at last twice. They just don't need workers here. they have ton of students always ready to work for cheap.

2FAST4U likes this.
  10. nobal

nobal Member

Thanks for that info. So I'm on about the 2nd month of my 3 month bank holiday and you say I have another 6 months left from now before they take my property. So that means I have until about June/July next year. I also have a 10 k credit card debt with the same bank that is also on hold and that expires in a few weeks.

I'm going to look into that. It's pretty hard as you get thousands of guys from 3rd world countries that will work for $5 per day. You also need to do a load of free or cheap jobs on those places to build your portfolio I just don't have the time really as I need to make money now. I know fiver as I would hire guys myself for $5 for a days work when I had money. I can't see that working in the short term.

Oh yeah I agree, I don't feel old, but what matters is the employer will expect me to be a head chef at my age, not a kitchenhad :)

Lots. read above...^
    I really do have drive. I do lack confidence but after losing everything, your partner, your business, your family, your friends then you can't help it even if you put on a fake smile and try to be nice even if most people I have met in the last year have turned me off the human race..

I would rather sell it before the bank even thinks about it.

It's not that easy unless you live in the big city. Anywhere else it's hard, even to find a job sweeping floors.

thanks, I agree!

I hate call centers calling me, I can't imagine ever making a cold call, I don't even like calling anyone on the phone that much. I don't like telephone spam. I just could not do that sort of work and besides my voice is not that great. I would rather do nearly any other job besides call center cold calling.

Yeah I have to start walking around; I did try that once with my resume but did not even get one call back. I felt stupid in my suburb back then in Sydney and every time I walked past the places I applied I felt embarrassed. I think my resume sucks even though I have improved it many times, with a gap of 20 years with parts filled in like self employed, renovated my homes, did trial work etc, it must be a shocker as I only get a job when they don't ask for my resume. Now I don't even bother if they say send your resume through and we will get back to you as I know once they read it they throw it in the bin and delete my number. Now I just say I will come in for a trial, that way they usually forget about asking for my resume.

I have really tried hard, yes I'm not really interested anymore but I have to and I'm trying. As soon as I pay my debts off I will go back to doing my own thing as I don't like people mostly as I have had been kicked around most of my life by -------

yeah it sucks but I can usually get some sort of job in a kitchen as people always have to eat.

I'm meeting one this week again, I hope they will help with some advice.

I only have a pre pay mobile and there number takes over an hour to get through so I can't call them.

There is a thing called restart for those over 50 and unemployed for 1 year. I put an ad up asking for a job and said that I can get up to 10k for employer to give me a job. I only got one reply and that was for the trial job I did for free for 5 hours without a meal or even thankyou. This is the sort of thing I go through week after week, been rejected by -------- and then having to do it all over again at another place and further put myself through humiliation.

Like someone else said, maybe it's time to give up! I can't keep this up for much longer, no human should have to go through the crap I have had to endure. I can't believe this is my home country. Most people I have delt with have just been horrible. I would rather travel to Asia and at least there people are themselves, over here they are all full of it. I'm beginning to really hate Australia now. I used to love it but I really feel I cant like anyone anymore after the way I have been treated, especially with all this job bs in the last year.

Ha, ANZ made it clear with their Indian call center worker who told me they will not help me once the 3 months are up.

It's a far cry from when I was at my prime making up to 10 k a month and when i walked into my bank they were all smiles with open arms. Now I just get a call center guy in a 3rd world country telling me that they are gong to everything I own off me soon....

Ha, not since Tony Abbott came in, you can't even get a white card now unless you have a job all ready to start and even then you might be lucky.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  11. nobal

nobal Member

Don't worry, I know my priority is to get work now. My point was that I'm not lazy and I have a lot of things I plan to do and I know I need any job now and these are things I will do in spare time.
    Maybe selling is best...
    I will give it a go
    I might try labour hire places. Macs only hire young ones, you can see that when you go there.

Thanks for the ideas. I mainly looking for ideas on how to find any job, even cleaning floors.

I also think I know where I stand now with the bank. I need to put the place on the market early Jan if I don't have a job by then.

My plan is to really try hard to the end of the year to find any work. I have a few things in the pipeline, one trial in Sydeny to do in next few days etc.

If I sold my place I would get hopefully about 80k once everything is paid.

I would first head off overseas for a month to a tropical island and find some time to relax and have a good think about everything. I would have some fun as well. I would get the travel bug out of my system so I could then come back and concentrate on working hard and get my business idea up and running. I would definitely not waste the money, it would be carefully be put to good use and I would never get in this situation ever again I would recommend no one else does either. Save hard now, when you make money then make more as you never know when it could come to a crashing end.

and I probably made heaps of grammer mistakes but I'm too tired to go back and check it all. good night :)

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
  12. Darlinghurst Boy

Thailand is nice...:)

13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Good luck Nobal. I know some people in similar situations here in Spain. A while ago things were rosy but now they are struggling and very hard to find a job. Still they go on with stamina and some optimism that things will get better, which I believe they eventually will if they maintain that positive attitude and don't give up. Some people who are able to work on their own projects or skills (eg car restoration) have left the city and live in very cheap shared or communal accommodation in the country while they reestablish themselves.

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I would first head off overseas for a month to a tropical island and find some time to relax and have a good think about everything. I would have some fun as well. I would get the travel bug out of my system so I could then come back and concentrate on working hard and get my business idea up and running. I would definitely not waste the money, it would be carefully be put to good use and I would never get in this situation ever again I would recommend no one else does either. Save hard now, when you make money then make more as you never know when it could come to a crashing end.

and I probably made heaps of grammer mistakes but I'm too tired to go back and check it all. good night :)[/QUOTE]

This is not what I would do with the last scrap of money I had, and no concrete job prospects.

Buy a tent and visit a beachside caravan park if you need a break and a think.

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  15. larrylarry

I agree with bran. Don't blow the proceeds of the sale. Unwise. Reward yourself once you have a stable job. I think you still have your priorities wrong. But it's your life.

16. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Sorry Nobal but have to agree with others here. I don't understand how hard your life has been and don't pretend to, reading your post I do truly feel sorry for your situation though and wish you all the very best. Jumping on these forums and posting is a big step forward compared to others who stick there head in the sand.

BUT I'm not sure how you can mention no work, bank taking your home, amongst many other things that have gone wrong AND then a tropical island with the sale proceeds of your house?
    I agree taking a step back and recharging is important but the only thing you should be thinking now is a job and keeping that job for as long as it takes to steady the ship. Not sure what new employer would happily let you take off soon after hiring you anyway?

How many recruitment agencies have you been to and registered for? If none then that should be your number 1 priority. There are literally tens of thousands of jobs that need filling all the time! Yeah ok a lot may not fit your skill set but a lot of them don't even have a skillet requirement. And don't just give up on them when they say No. Be persistent, follow-up every application, be dare I say it ANNOYING! One quote I really believe in "the squeaky wheel gets the oil".

17. Darlinghurst Boy

One of the reasons you got yourself into debt in the first place was constant "running away" to the tropical island in Asia .Is it Pattaya your going to ?

Its not your fault .. Some people "condition" their minds that when there is a problem going on in their life to "run" away from it .

Thailand or wherever your running to can wait.. Its still going to be there Next year.

You need to condition your mind not to run away when theres a problem but to stop stay and accept it /cope with it.

Wasting money you dont have on airfares , accomodation, nightclubbing etc wont solve the problems long term but it will take the cash needed .

albanga and Bayview like this.
  18. larrylarry

apart from grammar, your reasoning is wrong. Save hard before you spend. Not the other way. Start-ups need money. So get a job first. Don't make excuses that no one gives you a chance.

Bayview likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Have you thought about getting a job in a country town where there is less competition for jobs. Are you looking online? You can get in touch with a few websites for older people travelling in the country and you will discover how cheaply one can live outside the main cities. I have heard that many farmers cant afford to pay labourers so they may offer free accommodation and meals in exchange for short term casual work. The small community I know of who does this ask their backpackers to work four hours a day, leaving plenty of time to sit under a tree and think about things.

Selling the townhouse seems to be the obvious next step - don't wait till February, get it ready to market now. If you have been unemployed I would expect the TH has been recently cleaned up and already presents for sale perfectly. If not, get to it immediately.

Is there a Men's Shed nearby? A small church where you can talk one on one with a kind soul who may have excess paint sitting around looking for a new home to brighten. If it hasn't been mentioned already, I would also suggest seeing your doctor about this. Reading between the lines I see someone who may be entitled to Medicare - funded counselling services. A visit to CentreCare, the Salvos or Lifeline also seems to be in order. They offer financial counselling and other counselling services that you may benefit from. Best wishes

Phantom and WattleIdo like this.
  20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

One can buy a 3 bed highway frontage house in several boarder nth nsw qld-nsw small country towns for around 80k,if you can sell and know what to buy then you could start a business from a highway location like that,and i have some mates that have have been down the same road as you,you go overseas you will still be coming back with the same problems
    and maybe a few more monkeys on your back..

nobal and SOULFLY3 like this.