VIC Outpriced from Glen Waverley and Mount Waverley, what next?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tvadera, 19th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

East still has some ways to go. Think about all those wealthy students living in apartments/townhomes or school zone hunters from other suburbs that now need a family home due to cov baby boom!

tvadera likes this.
  2. tvadera

tvadera Well-Known Member

Market is crazy hot, this property in Wheelers Hill was advertised as 1,150,000 to 1,250,000, sold at auction in excess of 1.55M+
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-wheelers+hill-135111790

It was a rainy day and people were bidding as if there is no tomorrow. Market is increasing week by week for sure. I am caught in between sitting it out or jump in and catch the moving bus by paying a premium of ~50K-150K more.

What would be people's thoughts/advice/comments?

spoon likes this.
  3. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

There's been several like this in Wheelers Hill recently, did you see the Jells road auction video? Similar story, several hundred K over the reserve for a property on a main road.

I genuinely don't get it, much better value in almost every adjoining suburb.

tvadera likes this.
  4. tvadera

Yes I have seen that, went for 1.6M+ for an unrenovated property, its the FOMO effect and belief that WFH is the new normal

bamp likes this.
  5. Skyhighlimit

Skyhighlimit Well-Known Member

Though I believe very few can WFH100%, If enough people believe WFH is the new normal and should be, then it will be, as people will be pushing more work flexibility, working from home 2-3 days a week , and the employers will have to accommodate it.

I am also in the market looking for property in the similar areas to yours, except I don’t have any school zone requirement. But I also have friends looking into the school zones (kids are still little) . We have not felt the FOMO among the buyers yet ( except the parents who must buy soon get their kids into a particular school zone by a certain time)

I think the problem is the supply, especially for houses.. I checked the auctions Dec 2020 vs different months in 2019, the supply is much lower in Dec 2020 and still very low in Jan.

When the supply will increase? Hard to say.

6. Robbo80

It's not a good feeling for a buyer indeed but it sounds about right when people are paying $1.3m+ for a new townhouse in Glenny.. the equivalent home in glen would push 1.8m+.

7. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

I will echo that. Waiting for supply to increase is like waiting for stocks to go up. Actually, the share market is probably more predictable these days.

@tvadera , are you open to other areas?

8. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Sad to say, but if you look at how mad prices are in nz now there seems no reason aus wont follow suit, it already has in the regions and now melb has opened back up.......
    I own in surrey hills, not really anything decent for sale, could change i guess come February. The median house price has dropped funnily enough, but not sure if that tells the story.

9. DreamzUnlimited

DreamzUnlimited Well-Known Member

Try something around Vermont that covers both Vermont Primary and Vermont Secondary. Both are extremely good schools, Mitcham station being accessible too.

adrian_christian likes this.
  10. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

Genuinely interested query here.. apart from schools in the GW and MW zone being good, what’s the big deal about living in the zone? Sounds like people pay “overs” on the purchase price of a property so they can go to a school where they don’t have to pay exorbitant private school fees. But the avoidance of private school fees is eliminated by the hundreds and thousands of dollars by over-paying for a property

Live outside the much vaunted zone, save some $$$ and use the saved $$$ to send the children private?

Like I said, genuinely curious as my children are only at primary school level, and we live in Blackburn where zoned schools like Blackburn High (ok for arts and music apparently), Box Hill High (mixed reviews), and Forest Hill Secondary (been told avoid at all costs) are the local catchment.

11. Skyhighlimit

Skyhighlimit Well-Known Member

I don’t need the school zones but I know plenty of who wants it... the conclusion is rich people won’t bother about school zones, but unfortunately, not many people are not rich enough to not bother.

1. People know good schools don’t guarantee kids will do better financially in the future, but people just love their kids and want to give the kids a better start in their life - to be a good school
    2. Many people have done the maths - how many kids from born to finishing high schools- how much private school will cost them vs how much a public school will cost them, good public schools will still more affordable for these people
    3. Good School zones generally coincide with other factors eg good neighbourhood, park, decent public transport etc, it is an eco system strengthening other factors that make an area more desirable. —many people buy in areas with good schools but don’t need them just coincidence- I know people who want to move to Box Hill when retired from other Whitehorse suburbs...
    4. Because of the strong demand of school zones + point 3, and the supply is always more limited (vs you can just buy in random areas then private school), the people are confident that those property are good at holding values — which have been tested during melbourne’s worst lockdown period...

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Gee Mauritius (according to your handle) and Blackburn seems worlds apart! :D

The Y-man

13. The Y-man

Food. As in ready to eat Asian type.
    If you come form a country of hawker stalls, the kitchen in the house is for show only, not for use.

The Y-man

Mulianto likes this.
  14. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

We Asians just love to stick together. GW has great vibes, what’s not to like. Apart from all the other positive factors.

Also from fengshui perspective it’s great, high ground, good water. It will stay desirable for Asians...

15. Ben JH

Ben JH Well-Known Member

Interesting insights! Keen to understand more about how to assess fengshui. Any books or websites you'd recommend?

16. DaAsianInvestor

DaAsianInvestor Active Member

Hey guys. What's the difference between Blackburn and Blackburn North. Why is there almost a 300-400K difference in median price between the two suburbs? I get why Nunawading, Forrest Hill , Ring wood is cheaper. But why such a big difference between Blackburn and Blackburn North?

17. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Honestly I don’t know the details but that’s what I heard from the experts. For Melbourne, North East like Templestowe, Doncaster, whole Eastern until Mt Dandenong is great. Brighton is also good, at high ground facing the sea. Many parts of Mornington Peninsula, like where Arthur’s Seat is, supposedly quite perfect. But most in the West, Northwest of Melbourne will be meh.

I haven’t read any of the books but many of my friends read “Feng Shui for homebuyers, Exterior” by Joey Yap

Get in good position, be successful in life. Be it happiness, health and wealth with peace of mind. That’s the motto lol

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2021
    Ben JH and Robbo80 like this.
  18. The Y-man

Pretty much anything google throws at you - because I suspect in 90% of cases it's the granny or grand aunt telling the prospective young buyer all about it.... :D

However, the ITALIAN that built the house I now live in must have been some total F-S fanatic...I realised after I bought it, all the oddities they had:
    • First thing I noticed was they left coins hanging on the front door handle with a red ribbon... supposed to bring wealth
    • Windchime mobiles in almost every bedroom
    • A crystal hanging from a curtain rail in the only room a sharp corner of a neighbour's roof was visible
    • A curved path to the front door
    • Water feature in front yard
    • Fruit trees - as in lots (ok, they were Italians after all)
    • Convoluted passage from front door to back
    • Stair case does not directly face front door (offset)
    • High side of street
    • Mt Dandenong to the back of the house (east)
    I think there were some other things ... can't rememebr off the top of my head....

The Y-man

Ben JH, spoon and Mulianto like this.
  19. Robbo80

Like you I am not really a believer in public school zones.

However, many people do value them. So does one actually "overpay" if the price of the home remains elevated into perpetuity due to the school zone? One would need to have a view that homes in the less popular school zone areas surrounding it would perform better in the long run on a total return basis versus those in the school zone for the overpaying hypothesis to be true.

This is not factoring in potential the intangible worth of a better education/richer social circle.

20. tvadera

yes I am open to other areas, which ones are u recommending?