Outdoor Undercover Area

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by sassafrass, 7th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sassafrass

sassafrass Member

Hello!

I want to fry fish for dinner, but I don't want that stank inside my house.

I think the solution is building a small outdoor undercover area where I can keep a portable gas stove and kitchen utensils. However, I don't know where to start!

Can I get advice on how to make this happen? I'm looking for pointers on process, Melbourne-based companies that build this sort of thing, permits required, ballpark costs, time-frame, etc.

Keen to learn from you!

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Or perhaps get a really good (high air flow) range hood, ducted to the outside.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

A mud map of your existing house would help. Do you have any outdoor area right now?

4. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

What's your budget?

You can possibly put in an outdoor kitchen (around $4k from Bunning/Costco). I really like the Gasmate model Costco is currently selling for $3999. You would need to budget for electrical, gas connection, plumbing which can range from a few hundreds to a few thousands depending on your site. Also you need factor in costs for a small pergola to cover the your cooking station.

How much fish you plan to fry in next few years?

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We used to have our BBQ under cover outside but the ceiling got yucky. We repositioned the BBQ to the side of the concrete pad so it was just outside the roofline but we can stand under cover to use it. This eliminates almost all mess.

Marg4000 and Propin like this.
  6. sassafrass

sassafrass Member

@Joynz I'll look into that as well.

@wylie Good idea - attached a drawing!

@standtall Those Gasmate outdoor BBQ units look fancy! All up, I'd like to spend under $6k for everything. I'd prioritize the cover (pergola?) + electrical (for lights). I'd be happy enough with a portable gas bottle + camping stove. If it doesn't cost too much more, I'd consider the plumbing and gas connection.

Every 3 days. And fish sauce stir fry every other day. I'd cook all the smelly things.

Ooh. I'll try to avoid this too. Approx. how far above the BBQ was the ceiling?

Attached Files:

7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes it needs ventilation. My husband does this too.

8. wylie

From your plan, I'd think it wouldn't cost too much to have a builder do this so that it adds to the value of your property. it is just three posts, attachments to the structure and roofing. Should not cost too much.

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hi! It used to be right next to the house under the eaves, so about 1.5 mtrs I'm guessing. The wall and eaves were covered in grease and oil and blackness. I think your outdoor frying area will require a budget of $6k just for the roofing/floor

Attached Files:

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I agree with @wylie it won't be too expensive. Although pretty extreme to build an undercover area just so that you can fry some fish.

11. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

nice drawing - which software did you use?

12. wylie

I agree this is extreme for frying fish, but if it gives your property a covered outdoor area that would be beneficial for use in wet weather, I'd say it is a plus.

Of course, you could erect a cheap thing like this just for your fish frying if you have another outdoor area and you really just need to keep dry whilst cooking fish.

Marquee 3 x 3m Navy Portable Instant Gazebo - Bunnings Australia

13. sassafrass

sassafrass Member

I used Solidworks and added annotations in Adobe Illustrator - I have access to these through work. Check out Google Sketchup as a free option to achieve similar results.

Would it change your opinion if I told you... that I fry the best fish?

Oh. This is very good. This may satisfy my needs.

Hold up. Tell me more. How much does a nicely done pergola add to the value of a property?

standtall likes this.
  14. wylie

It would be good to know what rooms are inside the back area of the house that the pergola would flow out from.

If they are kitchen or living area then having a pergola there would for sure add value. Everyone wants a good inside/outside flow.

15. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Not unless you have another use for it other than to fry fish. I mean, if you're going to go to the expense, then do it right, like @wylie suggested, and make it a proper outdoor area that will add value to your home, not just somewhere to fry fish.

Redwing and Angel like this.
  16. courtst

courtst Well-Known Member

An outdoor kitchen is very popular with some ethnic groups. We do some asian and indian cooking and I've actually got a portable stove for this very purpose. All frying and strong flavoured cooking done outside! In fact nearly all of our friends have got a portable stove in the garage or the pergola.

17. sassafrass

sassafrass Member

Attached a floorplan. Open to hearing your ideas on pergolas!

What brand stove do you have?

Attached Files:

18. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Can you open the kitchen window fully?
    If yes, then I would create
    1. Covered walking path from the garage door (since you have the gas heater)
    2. Fully covered area covering the window.
    3. Connect all the way to the back entrance

Attached Files:

19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

upload_2021-7-14_5-38-45.png

Those Gasmates look flash though

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I think I'd put an undercover area directly off the dining room. You've got those lovely doors that open right up, and it would be a nice entertaining area.