Our Reno to sell

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Bee-mumma, 26th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bee-mumma

Bee-mumma Well-Known Member

Thankyou! This means a lot to me. It’s my first attempt at styling a property for sale. Looks heaps better than a vacant property that is for sure!

2. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Does look great! Good luck with the sale :D

Bee-mumma likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow looks great! And well worth the effort. Kids just add to the challenge:cool:

Any chance you could get the agent to get a photo from the other front corner? That corner does show the garage but also the tired grass patch. The other angle may be a touch more pleasing to the eye:)

4. Bee-mumma

I can always ask I really need to get up there again to do some gardening & final touches. So when people like it enough to get a viewing of the property it looks even better than they expect .

I wonder what plants might look brilliant but not cost heaps? Suggestions welcome.

5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Geraniums in pots (bright reds and/or bright pinks) in modern pots? Actually any pots

6. Bee-mumma

Sounds lovely. I like the idea of geraniums. I’ll look around for them.

On another note. I’ve recieved an offer. Property hasn’t been on the market for more than 1 day. It’s a tad low at $250k. What to do? Feeling a bit stressed. RE agent is suggesting these initial offers are best, and at $250k it might be worth taking. HELP please.

I’ve asked him to look at getting a little more.

7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Doesn't hurt to try for more. 250k seems a reasonable offer for that market atm but I'm not as familiar with it as you.

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's come up very well. I can see a few Kmart finds there - I'm a Kmart addict :p

Bee-mumma likes this.
  9. Bee-mumma

Thanks! Yes, there are a few K-mart items on display. Their styling seems to resonate with a huge number of people at the moment, and I wanted to appeal to a broad audience.
    I also popped things in there because of the area. Like the display apples and pears in geometric shapes on the mantle because Shepparton is known for fruit growing. I also had a few bicycle prints, not just because they are super cool and well... I think everyone has had a positive experience of a bike which brings the right kind of energy to the home. But, I also like that there is a huge bike riding community there and because of it's flat nature Shepparton is easy to ride around. All the bike paths help too!

Westminster likes this.
  10. Smuh5

Smuh5 Active Member

Well done @Bee-mumma - I noticed you mentioned you've spend $1k so far on the reno, was that the final amount you finished the reno on?

Did it meet your expectations and if you could do it again, would you have hired trades people to do it instead or stuck with DIY?

11. Bee-mumma

LOL! 1K!!! Not a chance. It's more like $12-$13K.
    We did hire professionals in to lay the carpet and for all the electrical. I think I may have been talking about staging, and even then just for furniture was over $1K. I spent at least $1500, and still adding up receipts.

The reason why we painted it ourselves was because we were unable to get painters in to do the job, and the wait was around 6 months. The estimated cost given to me by the painters was $10K+ for the external and $8K internally. And... they only wanted to 'freshen it up' for that price by using the existing colors. Just to be clear, I don't love painting!

I could have also used a professional staging company. $3.5K

So all up using trades
    External Paintwork- $10K
    Internal Paintwork- $8K
    Electrical Work- $6K
    Carpet- $4K
    Staging- $3.5K
    Gardening (trimming of branches down the side of drive)- $150
    All up using trades it would have cost- $31,650.

We also would have had to wait 6 months. Property is rented out for $275 a week. This is a drop in income of $6600. During that time, rates, water, electricity ect. So easily $40K could have been spent to get this property to this stage.

A heck of a lot of elbow grease, time and energy has gone into this property, not to mention this is our 'holiday' for the year.

Kassy and Westminster like this.