Our Reno to sell

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Bee-mumma, 26th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bee-mumma

Bee-mumma Well-Known Member

This was our first home. It was then a rental for 9 years. Time to pull up our socks and renovate to sell. Yes, it is an emotional roller coaster. And we are just 2 people... with four small children on site.
    We arrived around 1pm Thursday for the final inspection. Cleaning up after tenants, we ordered a skip. After a 5 hour drive. It’s now,5:30am Monday. So we have been hard at it for 3.5 days So far...

Attached Files:

2. Bee-mumma

Tranquil retreat for the weatherboards, and vivid white trims...

We are also cleaning up & painting internally. Horse hair plaster. Calimide walls and darn flaky paint.

Peal off layers, scrape,scrape,scrape. Sealer/primer/blocker... some patches of filler, add a little skim, sand, dust off. Undercoat/prime/blocker... and I’m almost ready to paint and decorate.

Sorry no before photos, the first one actually has been painted in sealer.

The white is an improvement but it’s not perfect and never will be unless we strip out the old plaster and put plaster board up. Heck no! The old plaster not only has character but sound proofing & thermal mass for temperature regulation. I’m not aiming for perfection here.

Camping out... Lol.

Attached Files:

Kassy and Codie like this.
  3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Early bird gets the worm :D
    Where is the place?

4. Bee-mumma

Shepparton in country Victoria among the best possible neighbours your ever likely to get! Honestly salt of the earth people that helped this mumma out last night and lent me a pedisool fan to help dry paint. Always up for a cupa and a chat... even when 9 years have passed. Love this neighbourhood. Even the newcomers to the street are awesome & we have been checking out each others renovations. It’s the kind of place where you do know your neighbours are there for you if you need them.
    Some lucky people are going to love our place! Hopefully they will love it as much as we did.

bob shovel, KayTea, Kassy and 4 others like this.
  5. Bee-mumma

So... I’ve been busy & loving it!
    Master bedroom- wallpapered two walls with a paintable delicate linen look paper & painted the wall the bed will go on in Dulux silver tea set. Beautiful! Not 100% what I wanted, but much better.
    Bedroom 2- oh my! Yellow mess. Scraped down walls to remove loose paint. Cleaned. Applied sealer/blocker/binder. Got annoyed with renters that used it as a drawing wall!
    Living rm/Hall/study- All picture rails, door trims, skirts given a coat of Dulux low gloss in vivid white. Amazing how much cleaner the whole house feels!
    Living room- had a little fun with a tin of granite look spray paint for the concrete hearth.
    Moved all furniture we were using to the limo area so the carpet can be installed.
    Has a spraky swap all the black switches and old PowerPoints for new... got a quote for a rewrite & got along really well with the spraky, so happy to give him the ok to do the whole home. This way, I can sell with a certificate of electrical compliance.
    Yep, all with a one year old & 10 year old after DH went back home with our other two boys.
    It’s officially 1 week into our renovation. Stopping for Easter! Putting it on pause.

Kassy and Jess Peletier like this.
  6. Bee-mumma

The sparky replaced the exhaust fan / light in the bathroom as well.
    I feel like we have accomplished quite a bit so far & am quite proud... shhh... I want another project after this one!!

Kassy likes this.
  7. Bee-mumma

F547888E-C779-4EA1-BA82-E9837D6AB638.jpeg

Attached Files:

Kassy likes this.
  8. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Great color choice, doing exactly the same on a 1960s weatherboard :) - following the them inside sorta like yourself as in white trims at the top & a silver tea/ tranquil retreat type inside. My worry is it being more difficult to style as opposed to using a lexicon white for example.

Are you carrying one colour scheme throughout the entire house?

9. Bee-mumma

Living areas are green. Two tones. Light ceramic and Bay leaf. No one can say it is boring. The bedrooms are different colours. We are styling the house. I’m not changing any of the colours more than I absolutely need to. It’s also horse hair plaster & has had calcimine paint in the past, probably the best option is not to change it too much. Personally I think Lexicon looks horrible on these walls. The paint is soaked up. Y the plaster and the pigment seeps in at different depths... and your left with a wall that looks like smokers damaged walls. This is a $250K to $270K home, not a $600K home, so we are keeping costs low. The whole renovation should come in under $10K... but is a whole lot of work for us.
    I’ll be styling in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned!
    Here is a taste of how I am styling- bohemian meets Hampton style
    A91BFE64-5F54-480A-BEDF-DD2A2920B5CA.jpeg
    Lots of blue, white & natural materials, and some fun to keep the mood upbeat. Well... that is the aim anyway.

Kassy likes this.
  10. Bee-mumma

C7194EA7-0420-4A83-AA19-E2D048B45E5D.jpeg 4C86CD58-6536-4BAC-A78A-A2D7D92F8165.jpeg D0C08CAB-84EB-4520-B5D6-0C305DF0AF52.jpeg More of how I plan to style. I’m planning out all the small details. Sourcing furniture and trying my hand at staging.

wylie, KayTea, Kassy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bee-mumma

The second bedroom paint scared off some painters...

Attached Files:

Kassy likes this.
  12. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Good on you! Looks like you are doing a good job! Look forward to more photos :D

KayTea likes this.
  13. Bee-mumma

We are still going strong! Tag teaming between myself and my husband to be working at the property which is 5 hours away from our PPR. At the moment DH is painting out the two smaller bedrooms and the outside of the property. Carpet is to go in tomorrow. Rewire to happen this week too. All while I'm looking after business on this end, as we are self employed. Busy times.

The styling thing... wow! so much work and so much to learn. Thank goodness for the internet or I'd be lost. So far I've spent $1K on furniture and kitchen ware ect. I spent a hour or so at our local op shop yesterday. Weirdly, op shops have very different prices to other areas. So it's fairly cheap here, and then when I get up to the property things are much more expensive! Same with second hand furniture. So we are transporting quite a bit of it ourselves. I'm loving the op shop finds, and they will add a lot of cool, calm character to the house. I can see why people hire a stylist! Not only is it expensive but it is time consuming. I really hope it pays off.

Rang my hubby today, and asked him if he painted over the air vents in the bedroom. We initially had left them white, so had made them a feature of the room.... 11.5 years ago. Air vents should never be a feature. They need to be the same color as the walls! So we are correcting some past mistakes as we go.

KayTea likes this.
  14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's lovely. What carpet are you getting?

15. Bee-mumma

Cheap carpet... with the plus side that it’s hardwearing, durable & rental friendly. And if the new owners decide that carpet isn’t for them or they want something else we haven’t spent $$$ for nothing.
    Mid grey colour to modernise & freshen the house up.
    Feltex brand.
    Similar quality to what is there & amazingly it’s lasted over 20 years.

16. Bee-mumma

And we are back home. Loads & loads of work done. Keys & property are now in the hands of the real estate agent. Fingers crossed for a great price. You know... like asking price or above ;) Pictures are being taken at the property today and the sales team are doing their walk through. One issue... curtains did not arrive in time (sigh) so they will need to be installed on the next visit.
    I can't wait to share the Realestate.com.au listing with you.

We are so darn keen to do another one! Just need to buy one in the area, so we aren't travelling so far away to do a reno :)

Kassy likes this.
  17. Bee-mumma

So excited! It’s just gone on the market Excited, mixed emotions, but happy for someone else to love this home. It’s in one of the best neighbourhoods, with neighbours that are absolutely lovely. There are some things you just can’t put on a listing! Like how the lemon tree out the back is so awesome that the neighbours ask for them. Or that, it’s the kind of neighbourhood where people look after each other and babysit each others dogs. Or that you can easily walk everywhere from into town, to schools, shops, cafes, takeaway, the post office and a park with water that is fully fenced and has shade sails to keep the sun off little people. That when you have a baby, the short walk to the child and maternal health nurse and the breastfeeding consultants makes life easy, and those short walks after a Bub are great. Or that there is a new art precinct being developed one block away. Yep... mixed emotions! Happy Sad.
    23 Lake Street Shepparton Vic 3630 - House for Sale #128097058 - realestate.com.au

bob shovel, Kassy and Christina46 like this.
  18. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

Looks great. You've done an awesome job with your styling.

Bee-mumma likes this.
  19. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Looks good. The ad says that the property is 2 squares. Looks 8-10 to me?

Bee-mumma likes this.
  20. Bee-mumma

Thanks, I’ll let the RE agent know there was a mistake. I would never had picked up on this.

hobartchic likes this.