Other Asset Classes topics

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Simon Hampel, 30th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm in the process of splitting out the Other Asset Classes section into more meaningful topics.

So far, I have added the following topics to the "Finance, Accounting, Tax, Legal, Advice" section:
    ... some of the threads are from the Other Asset Classes section, while others are from other sections where it made sense to move them.

I'm creating a new expanded section for discussion about equities investments - shares / managed funds / LICs / ETFs / LPTs, etc - but I'm not exactly sure of the best way to group these topics yet.

I'm currently thinking of a Strategies section for general discussion / comparison of product types, along with specific topics for discussion about individual stocks/funds/products.

Either way, the whole equities section is currently in a state of flux, so please be patient, there may be some mis-categorisation for a while.

Any suggestions for how to group the discussions is welcome.

Also - for those people who are "this is a property forum - we shouldn't be talking about shares" types - I do intend to build an "ignore" feature into the upcoming upgrade, so you'll be able to hide these discussions easily and focus on the property stuff that you love.

Perthguy, Nodrog and Terry_w like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

My current topics for the Equities section:
    ... with the intention that the Sharemarket Investment Strategies contains all the general discussion and comparisons, while the other topics are for specific discussions about individual shares / funds / ETFs / LICs / etc.

I'd really like to have one share, fund or product per thread to make it easier for people to find information.

I don't think restricting the topics to one thread per product is necessarily the best approach - but we could perhaps use forum "prefixes" (like the state based prefixes we use in the Where to Buy and the Meetup forums) to associate a thread with a specific fund or share.

I might experiment with this a bit and see how well it works.

Those extremely long generic "LICs" and "ETFs" threads will have to stop though - they become useless for anyone not actively engaged in them when it comes to finding useful information.

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

An observation if I may....

Superannuation is an asset vehicle not an asset class.
    Within super would be 3 main categories: Retail, Industry & Self Managed.

I highlight this only because it may be used as a vehicle for the asset classes..... my 2 cents

Islay likes this.
  4. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Simon,

What about Unlisted Property Trusts as a separate topic?

Regards,

Jason

hobo and Simon Hampel like this.
  5. Simon Hampel

This is why I have put Super in the Finance/Accounting/Tax/Legal/Advice section.

Super is a structure, thus a legal issue; it also gets favourable tax treatment and can be used to minimise tax - hence an accounting/tax issue; is also has strict requirements for financial advice - hence a financial planning issue.

The fact that shares/funds/property/etc can be purchased through super is largely incidental and other than specific rules or processes which may apply to a super fund - the questions about what to buy or investment strategies relating to super funds are largely the same as those held outside of super.

Which is why I'm not treating it as an asset class, but as an "adviser" topic.

I don't think there's a need to split the topic further into retail/industry/self managed - they are all just platform choices which achieve largely the same outcome.

hobo and Indifference like this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Actually, that was supposed to be covered by the Real Estate Investment Trusts topic - I've changed it to be "A-REIT / LPT / UPT".

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Super is also a financial product so I think as an adviser topic is a good fit.

What about social security act issues such as pensions - could have a separate topic for this or incorporate into financial planning

8. Simon Hampel

Yes, I think financial planning would be a suitable place for such discussions.

Terry_w likes this.
  9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I think you could have International Shares as a separate topic, perhaps with a selection for the major exchanges ( much like you have NSW, Vic, etc for property threads ).

Gockie and Simon Hampel like this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Yes, originally I had "Shares" or "Direct Shares" but changing that to "ASX Shares" like I have at the moment, implies that we should have an "International Shares" topic as well.

Pleep likes this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

A pretty big task @Simon Hampel. The structure is easy for me to navigate but I suppose some fine tuning will happen after feedback from members.

13. Simon Hampel

That's exactly what I'm planning to add as part of the coming upgrade.

My vision is that it will be simple for you to ignore any section of the site you don't want appearing in new posts searches (eg, ignore all "Off topic" discussions, or ignore all "Shares" discussions - or in your case, ignore all "Property" discussions).

I'm thinking it would be useful to have that work at a thread level as well - if there is a specific thread you aren't interested in, you can just ignore it and it will no longer appear in new posts searches either.

willair, Terry_w and The Falcon like this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Thanks and sorry as I just realised you mentioned this in your initial post. That will be a brilliant feature and a huge value add for PC members.

Thanks again.

The Falcon likes this.
  15. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Simon will you be decommissioning the investchat and businesschat sites after this ?

16. Simon Hampel

There's still quite a bit of work to do before I merge those sites in - but eventually, yes.

For now, I'm only dealing with threads that have already been posted on PropertyChat!

willair and Terry_w like this.
  17. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Can we get everything relating to index investing / asset allocation in the one sub forum. I’m getting way too triggered by some of the content around here these days :p

Nodrog likes this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Damn anti-social Boglehead:D.

wombat777 likes this.
  19. Pleep

Pleep Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel
    Loving the changes, makes sense once it’s all settled down.
    Usability issue: I used to rely on the newest posts list under Other Asset Classes as a way to keep up with “equities” stuff. Is there a way to get similar newest posts list but filtered for any of the equities sections? Perhaps a search method I should consistently use?
    Thanks. Loving PC by the way.

Sticky likes this.
  20. Simon Hampel

No - this is kind of an issue, there's no way to look at what's new from a "category" point of view.

Part of what I was planning to do when I migrated the InvestChat stuff across was to basically run it as two separate sub-sites and duplicate the search functionality for the equities stuff to allow you to do exactly what you're asking. But we're a little way off being able to do that yet - sorry! :(

Pleep likes this.