Original copy of your IP's professional photos from PM involved extra cost?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by +men, 6th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

All good, no need to clear it up for me :)

There is plenty of info on copyright out there, our laws are similar to many others. Prob best to read the actual act for our law, or find similar for elsewhere.

I have spent many hours on this, quite often it is the concept of copyright and the name that confuses I think, it is not unlike the relative thing, from inception it is there and does not need too change.

Suffice to say, there is absolutely no scenario that requires a copyright holder to relinquish copyright that would prevent say a photographer from achieving whatever they want or their clients or further parties.

I can think of scenarios where you may want to, maybe to say give up copyright and create a formal public license, like say the GNU GPL used in "free" software often.

The main things here is that paying a fee does not automatically give you full and free license to do as one wishes, unless the license says that, that is.

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Actually Dabbler,
    I thought you would clarify which copyright law or statute , just so we are all on the same page!

Particularly for the OP

all the best
    Cheers

3. dabbler

There is an Act, people can read it, I supplied a simple guide on what is possible and not to do I guess.

The OP can easily sort it with the photographer without being technical, they may even grant unrestricted usage for no extra fee, who knows.

4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I use Property Chat as a forum to learn.
    found this info from a website called the Australian Copyright Council,
    when I Googled Australian Copyright :
    under
    Find and Answer:

KEY POINTS

'The creator of the copyright material is not necessarily the copyright owner.'
    I couldn' t copy it !!
    :eek:
    all the best

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2017
  5. dabbler

Yeah, that is right, in Australia if you took the photos while working for Big photography company......then BPC has copyright, not you.

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Just take them off the internet.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Quite right.

In part of my paid working life I created example assignment guides for a proposed course. From the outset I understood the copyright belonged to the Education Dept, not to me.
    Marg