NSW Opinions -Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MTR, 9th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

For those on the ground, is it too late to sell?

Any particular markets/areas tanking at the moment? Do you think it's only the savvy investors who understand it's changing?

Thanks
    MTR:)

2. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

want to sell your Doonside one, MTR?

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No.
    Just curious to find out what is actually happening, getting mixed messages

4. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

My armchair view is, lot of grunt still there and it's not too late to sell.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks, interesting

When Perth crashed in 2007 I don't think there were obvious signs other than regional areas started slowing and then Perth crashed, almost like the light was switched off, no real warning, many caught out and still buying while the market continued to turn

Wondering whether this will be same in Syd.

I have heard auctions clearances haven dropped off significantly?

I expect inner city desirable areas will be the last to tank?

6. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

The market is still strong. Not as many buyers. And may take longer to get the buyers, but doesn't mean you can't get what it was selling for a month or two ago. Perhaps not a crazy jump since, however for the right price...strong

ej89 likes this.
  7. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

What I heard from a Sydney investor - there is still some activity but apparently a lot of investor exit happening. Depending on the product, the average days on market is also climbing.

Time to cash out maybe? I am a strong believer of "take profit" than "take hope"

MTR likes this.
  8. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Around my way, good properties are still selling for record prices but below average properties are now not selling. Discounting is starting to happen at the low end too.

9. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

IMO the market here has really eased in a big way. I have agents pretty much begging me to attend auctions and make offers on properties. One agent told me to put an offer on a property that is 50k below asking price. 12 months ago it needed to be 50k above the asking price. Too late to sell if you ask me.

10. JohnPropChat

I don't see anything wrong with testing the market. If you don't get the right price then you'll at least have tried.

11. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

I have noticed good houses in the inner west that would have previously sold well at auction are being passed in, often with no bids, or withdrawn prior. But the vendors are not selling cheap, they are putting a price and sticking to it.

Eastern suburbs still feels hot though.

n.b. above is for houses, not watching units.

I think you can still get a good price, I mean you may not get the silly prices that were happening through Winter and late autumn(on select properties) but you should still be getting a lot more than you would have last year... yeah?

Is anyone actually expecting inner city Sydney prices to tank or just stop growing so fast??

Gingin and Cia like this.
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I am finding this to be true as well. Just the drop in the clearance rate is a good indicator. Also, seeing some properties where it is selling at a fixed price.

13. Inov8ive

Legal costs, marketing costs + all the effort of open homes. Not quite pain free.

14. timetoact

Yes, I do find the clearance rate can be misleading though. If a property sells shortly after the auction for a good price then for me that is still a successful sale.
    Much prefer first hand knowledge of what, how, when, how much$$

15. timetoact

That's true, it is a bit of a headache and the costs do add up.

16. JohnPropChat

I don't know how it is in Sydney but in Perth, quite easy to find an agent with no extra costs. All or nothing type of deals. Worst case, will be up for a few hundred dollars worth of advertising.

17. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Not too late to sell imo. Good houses with realistic vendors are still selling for good prices.. I haven't seen anything sell less than what it was a few months back.. It's the same price, just longer to sell..

18. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Don't think the word tanking can be used for Sydney atm..Can't see it tanking without an interest rate rise..

19. Inov8ive

Can't say I am familiar with Perth but I own property in a few states and that has not been my experience. There is a cost associated with marketing for sale. Someone needs to take professional photos, create copy, create floor plans, create brochures, put up a sign board, advertise on RE and Domain etc. This is at least 2k. Then there is your legal cost. You need to get a contract drawn up, otherwise you cannot appoint an agent or ever actually sell your property, at least 1k there. Certainly not a cost free exercise.

20. JohnPropChat

Wow, $1k contract just to put the property on the market? That's steep. Do you happen to have a complex structure? Sadly, I am not very familiar with states other than WA but here you can negotiate an all inclusive price that the vendor only pays if the property sells. The marketing costs can be anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to $2k+ depending on the marketing plan.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF