Opinions on my recent Investment Property purchase?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Timmah, 5th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

That is good to hear.

Another issue which will present itself is there will be hundreds of units that will be coming online over the next 10 years, rental demand will decrease with an oversupply, and unless your unit is of a large size in a unique complex, then CG will be negatively affected also.
    What living space does the unit currently contain?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ooops sorry - I made a mistake. I think you will need to pay tax

Income 23,920
    Strata - 5200
    Rates - 3200
    Mortgage payments - 12000 in interest)
    Property management fee - 1674
    Accountant fee - 200

Gives your $1646 Taxable. You'll need to pay about $500 tax (30% of the net income)

Can't claim sinking fund until you sell - capitalised.

The Y-man

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Buildings that have scores of units run the risk of no scarcity factor, vulnerable to stupid people in your building selling/renting cheap which will directly affect the value of your own unit and high strata/maintenance fees, among others negatives. If your after CG asap then I don't know if this will deliver any time soon. Generally CG is dependant on supply/demand and I think the supply and in coming supply for that type of stock will overshadow demand for awhile. Keep learning and educating yourself and you will grow as you go along this journey you are on. Keep in mind its just my opinion and I don't have a crystal ball.

4. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

The property is around $1100 negatively geared per annum, ignoring depreciation. See attached

Attached Files:

Tom Rivera likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You can not expense sinking funds. Money does go out of your pocket but you cannot claim it as an expense. From what I understand, must be capitalised.

The Y-man

Befuddled likes this.
  6. Befuddled

You're right!

7. Timmah

Timmah Well-Known Member

Okay I see what you mean now. That's a good point that I hadn't taken into account until now. I'm thankful for your replies here and I am most definitely learning along the way, I am 22 years old so I have a long trip ahead of me! I'm happy to take any education possible.

Archaon and Sackie like this.
  8. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

When you have a property which is only very slightly positively geared (say a grand or two) are you better off taking action to make it just negatively geared to get the tax concessions?

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Mate at 22 you will be able to do many more great deals as time goes on. Don't sweat it. Most important thing is to educate yourself as much as possible re property investing. You have time on your side which is a massive plus. Kudos to you for thinking about your future at 22 and making a serious financial investment/commitment.

Jess Peletier, Timmah and Darwin55 like this.
  10. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Suggest you do lots of reading on here & listen to say the Property Couch guys on their podcast from Ep 1 forwards (it'll take a while), lots of great fundamentals & then you can choose your strategy & invest wisely for the future.
    Well done on starting & good luck!

Timmah likes this.
  11. Befuddled

Why would you invest just to get a tax concession?

Tax deductions can be maximised by leaving a property untenanted and not earning an income.

Mindplay likes this.
  12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

No it cant.

13. Befuddled

Care to elaborate?

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

ATO website:

" If you have an investment property that is not rented or available for rent – such as a holiday home, hobby farm, or another dwelling you choose not to rent:

• the property is subject to CGT in the same way as a rental property
    • you generally can't claim income tax deductions for the costs of owning the property because it doesn't generate rental income
    • you may be able to include your costs of ownership in the property's cost base, which would reduce any capital gains tax liability when you sell it."

15. Befuddled

The point I'm making is deliberately turning a positively geared property into a negatively geared one does not make sense.

Archaon and The Y-man like this.
  16. fleathedog

fleathedog Well-Known Member

My advice: next time you go to buy property, post on here before you buy

The best thing you did here was to get started at such a young age. Keep at it!

17. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@Timmah Congratulations on getting into it! I'm a little envious, I wish I was buying investment properties at 22, what an awesome head start.

I'm not sure this was a great purchase given the other options out here- but I think you've done the right thing by applying a 20% deposit (No LMI, low risk and limit repayments) even if it means you haven't been able to purchase two properties instead of one (as per comments in your other thread). Assuming no unforeseen circumstances and a long holding period, this property will be good for you.

I agree with all the points made so far and just wanted to add a couple of my own;

- That rent is very high for a 1-Bedroom in Surfers Paradise. There's only a couple of complexes pulling that rent, has it been rented yet? My other concern is that your returns may drop after the Commonwealth Games.

- @Jess Peletier 5.14% seems a bit high to me? Tim's got a high income, minimal debt and significant deposit. Surely he'd qualify for a great rate?

Sackie and Jess Peletier like this.
  18. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

You can do better than that in many cases - I haven't read the whole thread but the security may be difficult to place, as not all banks are happy with small units. It's not an outrageous rate, assuming it's IO investment loan. If it's P&I you should definitely be able to do better. :)

19. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Interest is deductible on an income producing asset (IP).

However the principal isn't.

20. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

FWIW in my experience I have claimed major remediation/repair works costed through special levy contributions.

These costs were rolled into total Strata costs on my yearly PM statements. Accountant was fine with it, was questioned by ATO on submission however had all the info to back it up.