Open a fixed panel on a 3 panel glass sliding door

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mauve, 19th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mauve

Mauve Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We have a glass sliding door which sits next to 2 fixed glass panels, similar to that which I have seen in many houses. Only one panel slides open and the other 2 are fixed. I am trying to work out if I can make another of the panels sliding so they work like stacker. I have called the manufacturer who has said the entire set up needs to be replaced (including all the doors) if I want more than one panel to open. I would have thought that at least the doors could be reused even if the frame needed replacing. Does anyone have any knowledge about this type of renovation they would be happy to share? Photo attached in case anyone is kindly willing to have a look. Thank you!!

Attached Files:

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I’d speak to a glazier rather than the manufacturer. The manufacturer has got a vested interest to have the existing stuff ripped out and have a bespoke one installed.

Get quotes to have the doors modified and compare that with a rip out and instal job. I’m sure someone can do what you want but will it be economical and will it look bodgy.

Mauve likes this.
  3. Mauve

Mauve Well-Known Member

Thank, great suggestion.

datto likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

The manufacturer is probably correct.
    To opperate as a stacker the frame will need 3 tracks (see pic) for the doors to slide on.
    1 track for the fixed panel, with another 2 tracks for the 2 moving panels to slide back next to the fixed panel.
    Your frame assembly looks to only be a 2 track unit.
    Sorry...

Attached Files:

Marg4000 and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. Mauve

Mauve Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my photo and share an image of what it should look like. Yes, I can see now that mine is not a quick fix. I will call a glazier. Maybe I can still use the glass doors but have the frame changed. Thanks again

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You could even try Wynstan to see what can be done. They are a little pricey though.

I have used them in the past to replace a sliding door track on a balcony and they did do a good job.

Yeah it’s true in your case the bottom sliding track will have to accomodate 2 x doors and the fixed window. So your floor tiles may have to be cut to fit the track in.

Matter of fact, that whole frame may have to be changed IMO.

Speak to the tradie to see what they think but I now get the feeling it may be easier and cheaper to just rip the whole lot out, cut the floor tiles and fit in new doors/window.

wylie and Mauve like this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Maybe the glass, but the aluminium profile (sides) will be different for a stacking door.
    Have a look at how your current moving panel interlocks with the panel next to it when closed, the remaining fixed panels are unlikely to have the same profile.
    There is unlikely to be a cheap of easy fix, sorry

Mauve and Brendon like this.