Cars & Motorbikes Oil leak fixed

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hash_investor, 14th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi, pardon my knowledge about the car mechanics. I am trying to get an oil leak fixed but don't know what would be the budget. It could either be the sump or the gaskit.

Is it a few hundreds or do I need to sell a property for that? lol

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the car and which gasket. Sump gaskets are pretty easy to do. Head gasket a bit more involved - but nothing to sell the house for!

The Y-man

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My guess for a simple sump gasket would be $250 tops. That includes parts (gasket, oil, filter) and labour.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'll fix it for you. .. best to put your house on the market to cover costs ;)

datto likes this.
  5. hash_investor

and for head gasket? A mechanic said they would have to take the gearbox out and its a big job which they won't touch.

Nissan Dualis

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How bad is the leak?

I can't imagine a mechanic saying it's too big a job. It's standard stuff. Any mechanic will be able to quote for this.

Check to see if you are due for any other major work as part of the regular service. Can be cheaper to do it together if the gearbox is already out.

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

$$$$$. Dig deep.

Are you sure they have to take the gear box out to change the head gasket? Mate, that's why I drive a commodore. The head gaskets (I got two heads being a V6...from Tassie lol) are about a metre away from the gearbox lol.

Look my guess...say $200 for the head gasket, $400 to machine the head and do the valves, $1000 labour and a case of the mechanic's favourite beer.

So a total of $1600.

8. hash_investor

I haven't got a quote from the Nissan dealer itself but the other mechanic I was with today said its somewhere between 1500-2500 if Nissan does that.

I am thinking about visiting places like Midas/ultra tune/ or auto master (in your fav area ;)) to get a quote. They may do it a little cheaper.

I have seen drops in the garage before so I knew something was there. I went to this guy today for a rego inspection and he refused to do it because of the leak. Guess how big it is? He was saying the oil leak is major and if you keep driving it might get too hot and catch fire :confused:

Glad another guy passed the inspection at least so I am not in a fix...

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Midas etc aren't cheap from my experience. I suppose by getting several quotes you will get you an idea of a cost.

Are you sure the head gasket needs replacing?

Ideally you need to find a good honest and fair priced mechanic. When you find one let me know lol.

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ok -looking at the thing now - I'd say it's half the engine bay that needs to come out for the head gaskets!!

The Y-man

Attached Files:

11. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Nissan won't do it under Warranty?

12. hash_investor

I have extended warranty by the dealer and their service center says any leaks are not covered.

13. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Did you buy it new? If so, a new car getting an oil leak under warranty period is highly unusual....not a good sign.

If you bought it 2nd hand... Well fair enough I guess.....

Still, shop around. I had some major work done on wheels a while back and got a few quotes to fix. There difference between quotes was staggering.

14. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

What year model is it?

@datto, a good mechanic at a decent price? Go see Mario at the United Petrol station in Toongabbie, he is honest and well priced.

I had him do a bunch of stuff on my old car, he wrote up the bill and forgot to replace my brake lights, he then replaced them and didn't charge me for them because it was his mistake.

He replaced my tires, I then got a nail in one of them, it was only a few weeks since I bought the tires so he sent the tire away for repair free of charge.

He was recommended to me by the boys on the Liberty GT forum, the fact that these guys trust him with their car was enough for me :).

datto likes this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sounds good @Dan Donoghue.

But is he Bogan friendly?

He might rip me off just so I never go back lol.

Dan Donoghue and hash_investor like this.
  16. hash_investor

17. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Well he gets on well with me and they don't get much more bogan, I embraced my inner bogan a long time ago :).

It strikes me as the kind of car that would not be thrashed.

I am not sure that a 7 year old car of this type would do a head gasket under normal operating conditions. If it has it could be a sign or serious headaches down the line. It may be worth exploring the idea (now it is freshly registered) of possibly trading it in or selling off and replacing.

datto likes this.
  18. hash_investor

definitely on the cards... but I want to find out first whats wrong with it.

19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I just looked up the time to do a Head gasket on a Dualis.

The time for remove and replace was 6.5 hours approx.

It doesn't mention whether the gearbox has to come out - I suspect that if the gear box has to come out, this may mean that the engine has to come out too, to make it easier.

We had to take the engine out of a Captiva in order to dismantle the heads a few weeks ago...had to take off the whole front end assembly and drop the motor down.

Plus, allow costs to send head away for inspection and any repair required, head bolt set, testing, road test and so forth, etc.

Our normal "ballpark" figure for folks when they ask about these jobs is to not expect much if any change out of $2k. and that is by no means a quote; it is merely a rough guide and also to test whether they are willing to go down the headgasket repair path.

If the engine has overheated, then this figure does not apply because you don't know what has happened to the head from the heat....immediately increases to likely cost range of $2.5k to $3k.

It also depends on the hourly rate of the workshop. We charge $110 per hour, I know that the local KMart charges more than this, and Dealerships are at the top of the price ranges for labour usually.

jim1964 likes this.
  20. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Too old for warranty if it is a 2009 model.