Offset account attached to fixed or variable portion?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Jenko21, 27th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jenko21

Jenko21 Member

Hi all,
    I currently have a 100% variable home loan and am about to convert part of it to fixed.
    65% will be fixed and 35% variable.

Should I attach the offset account to the fixed or variable portion? My bank allows either.

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Assuming both loans are for the same purpose and in the absence of any other info, I'd probably put the offset account against the variable portion (unless you expect to exceed the variable portion). The variable rate is likely to be higher, thus you'll save more interest.

You may find that with a fixed and variable portion, you don't get a choice. Some banks that have offset accounts for fixed rates will put it against the variable portion when you have a split.

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2021
    craigc likes this.
  3. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

I would assume the fixed rate is lower and if the lender allowed you attach an offset against a fixed rate then why not fix the whole loan 100%?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

put it against the loan with the highest interest rate - assuming none of the interest is deductible.

craigc likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice