Off-market unit sales, Brisbane

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Carol, 31st Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Carol

Carol Member

Does anyone know what proportion of units in Brisbane are sold off-market? I've received conflicting advice: NO, not many, particularly since mid-2021 VS YES, a lot (30% or more). I'm having problems finding something appropriate for my mother and am wondering whether it is worth hiring a buyer's agent to access off-market options.

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Why does it need to be 'off-market'?

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If you are after a unit I wouldnt be paying a BA unless you have no time and too much money. There is oversupply. Plenty of developers desperate to sell. Almost all new(er) builds are technically off market as they may ALSO be listed with an agent or five and most agents know who the developers are. Agent will just broker the sale. Often some also rented while they sit there.

4. Lindsay_W

Don't confuse 'off market' with off-the-plan...

5. Carol

Carol Member

I'm interested in off-market only because I'm finding there are so few suitable options advertised online and I have been told there are a lot more units being sold off-market. But I don't know whether to believe that. That's why I'm asking here. Definitely don't want to buy off-the-plan. Thanks.

6. Lindsay_W

I don't believe there are more being sold off market, there's an over-supply of apartments in Brisbane.
    Even so, what makes you think off-market apartments would be more suitable than what's available on-market?

7. Carol

Carol Member

I don't believe that off-market units will be 'more suitable'. I'm interested only if it would considerably expand the potential pool of suitable units, because I'm finding it hard to find one that meets the criteria for my mother. While there was an oversupply of units in Brisbane, I have read that that is much less the case now.

8. Lindsay_W

What's the criteria?

9. tigerpaws

tigerpaws Active Member

There aren't many units being sold off-market. I am getting 2-3 invites a month. What I have found is they are usually rented by a tenant that isn't the best housekeeper.

Most properties are sold on-market because the agents are getting 20-30 people through during inspection. Once they have a multi bids situation the agent can get all buyers to quickly go to their max in 1 offer by making them sign the multi-offer form.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Does your mother have a preferred location or specific building design? If so, she may require a miracle. We spent two years of searching to find the unit my Mum eventually bought. Some of the replies in this thread are discussing apartments, which are not the same things as units.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The terminology is interchangeable. The term "apartment" is a feel good, not a specific type of dwelling.

If you call a unit an apartment do you think it increases the price or the expectations?

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Might make you feel "flat" :D

The Y-man

Pumpkin, A101 and Scott No Mates like this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.