Off market or real estate listing

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Cool16, 2nd Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Which one would you prefer as vendor

off market listing or real estate ?

Asking for a popular suburb with good school catchments - a townhouse (3bhk) good bus routes close by

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Put it to the market. Why not?

3. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

A number of reasons , Often first offer is the best. If you are happy with the offer and have a buyer who is keen and will meet your terms ( which can be hard to do and more important than price) take it, he may take his moula elsewhere and be out of the market. Less hassle, Convenience which to me is more important than money. it is pain in the arse and time consuming putting up with tyre kickers and agents and preparations. The big one Certainty and ability to plan ahead and concentrate on other activities. If I sell it is because I have a better use for my capital so not worried about what is relatively inconsequential in the big scheme of things.

Last edited: 2nd Nov, 2021
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Most of the time in boom markets my general opinion is go to market.

Having said that, I am currently selling a place off market but in reality.. it will be pretty much 'on market' without the marketing costs and lower agent fee. Flat 15k fee. Listings are so low, agents are literally fighting each other for listing. Sellers hold the power with agents as well as buyers.

I have engaged 1 agent for an exclusive 2 week period to bring me my price. If not, it goes to 4-5 more top agents in the area to bring me their buyers. Essentially, those agents will have access to a large part of the buyer pool I want with the right budget. They will all bring me offers and we'll have an 'off market auction' via offer beating offer, agent beating agent until I get my price. I'm confident it will work, has before. And I'll probably save around 25k.

Last edited: 3rd Nov, 2021
    doublebrick likes this.
  5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Which state and location?

6. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Nsw cherrybrook

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Both :D
    Listing off market (agents database for the first two weeks ) isn't unusual in a growing market.
    Then if there isn't the buyer interest or competition then advertise ;)
    Probably need to re phrase your question.
    "Listing with an agency, is it better to list off market or pay for advertising campaign" ?
    (Are Premier & Premium advertising costs worth it?).

Why would you as the vendor be putting up with tyre kickers ?

A few hours of your time effectively interviewing 2-4 agents (and be educated about your property prospects) to find one that you are comfortable working with is a worthwhile investment :cool:

@VB King has some great tips :)

VB King likes this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

High demand market would definitely take it market either auction or for normal for sale.

Stoffo likes this.
  9. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Exactly what we feel about off market

Did you get good numbers?

10. Cool16

Cool16 Well-Known Member

Thinking of doing that as we are seeing good numbers around us

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Just gave it to first agent few days ago. Getting some signed contracts today when he meets with me. If I don't get my price in 2 weeks, his exclusivity ends and I have 4 more agents ready.

I'm not saying this is the right approach for everyone in every situation. But for this sale for me, it makes sense.

Stoffo likes this.
  12. Penguin

Penguin Well-Known Member

I'm looking to put in an offer for a house in Sydney - good location, old-ish house but good condition (B&P is clean), owners have been flexible with requests for private viewings.
    Auction prices have been going off the roof in this suburb and when I asked why this is off-market, agent said vendor is confident to sell off market and they are realistic (but who wouldn't want more $$?).

So far the offers are nowhere near the recent auctions for similar properties in the area. Makes me wonder why they've kept it off market? Trying to make sense of it and hopefully don't fall into any traps...
    Is it because of the selling fees involved? How different are the average agency fees between off market vs. pre-listing vs. private treaty vs. auction? Thanks!

13. BippyBoo

BippyBoo Member

How did you end up going with this sale?
    May I ask what your vendor/selling contract specified in, as in was there a clause that prevents one of the agents claiming commission when sold by another agent?