NSW(Sydney) deck size

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by RedHat, 14th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Hey peeps,

I have an existing verandah which is around 4 sqm. Planning to build a deck to extend it.
    I was going through council website and it says 12sqm max via CDC route.

So ques - is the 12sqm total area i.e. old+new or just new? My guess is old+new but still checking
    Deck will be 1.5m high

TIA

Last edited: 14th Jul, 2020
  2. Petaurus

Petaurus Member

Due to the height of over 1 metre you will need to go CDC rather than exempt. The exempt and complying development code (NSW legislation) should have precedence over local planning controls which will let you have up to a 25 sq metre deck. Just check their LEP and DCP to see if there are any clauses trying to override the Code.

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Just coming on top of this thread....the NSW code lists the following (among other things) for decks/pergolas wrt Exempt developments:

(b) if it encloses a structure attached to the ground level of a single storey dwelling or the upper
    level of a two storey dwelling—not be higher than the roof gutter line, and

(i) if it is connected to a fascia—be connected in accordance with a professional engineer’s
    specifications....

Does this imply that if the roof of the pergola is under the gutters, and attaches to the exterior of the house (but not the fascia), one can go down the Exempt Dev route?

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Anyone???!!

5. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I think you are in the wrong section, hence wrong conclusion (IMHO)

This applies to exempt development for balconies, decks, patios, pergolas, terraces and verandahs;

Development standards
    The standards specified for that development are that the development must—
    (a) (Repealed)
    (b) have an area of not more than 25m2, and
    (c) not cause the total floor area of all such structures on the lot to be more than—
    (i) for a lot larger than 300m2—15% of the ground floor area of the dwelling on the lot, or
    (ii) for a lot 300m2 or less—25m2, and
    (d) not have an enclosing wall higher than 1.4m, and
    (e) be located behind the building line of any road frontage, and
    (f) be located at a distance from each lot boundary of at least—
    (i) for development carried out in Zone RU1, RU2, RU3, RU4, RU6 or R5—5m, or
    (ii) for development carried out in any other zone—900mm, and
    (g) (Repealed)
    (h) to the extent it is comprised of metal components—be constructed of low reflective, factory pre-coloured materials, and
    (i) have a floor height not more than 1m above ground level (existing), and
    (j) if it is a roofed structure attached to a dwelling—not extend above the roof gutter line of the dwelling, and
    (j1) be no higher than 3m at its highest point above ground level (existing), and
    (k) if it is connected to a fascia—be connected in accordance with a professional engineer’s specifications, and
    (l) be constructed or installed so that any roofwater is disposed of into an existing stormwater drainage system, and
    (m) not interfere with the functioning of existing drainage fixtures or flow paths, and
    (n) if it is located on bush fire prone land and is less than 5m from a dwelling—be constructed of non-combustible material, and
    (o) if it is constructed or installed in a heritage conservation area or a draft heritage conservation area—be located behind the building line of any road frontage.

bmc likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes I've gone over those standards several times. The question was whether the pergola can attach to the building itself (not the fascia) and still be meet the Exempt Dev standards.

7. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I deal with DAs via council (LEP and DCP controls) so I do not want to guess these next steps because a CDC private certifier would know the fine details and their scope of authority better than myself. That being said the rules to seem to allow attachment to the building itself if other conditions are met;
    (j) if it is a roofed structure attached to a dwelling—not extend above the roof gutter line of the dwelling, and

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks!