NSW: How to become property manager and team estate agent?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Bill2255, 28th May, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bill2255

Bill2255 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone knew the best resource to look at i haven't found clear information on roadmap, education requirement to become real estate agent.

- are there any popular influencer on YouTube that cover this education piece and 101 overview.

- what is the pathway to becoming agent i.e. what courses you need to do, what licence you need to get, etc.

at this stage looking at starting point to get a clear view on what needs to be done, effort, cost and where. surprising not able to get the info.

2. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Last edited: 28th May, 2023
    Bill2255 likes this.
  3. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

There are two tiers (relevant for property manager, sales agent, and also BA I believe)

Real estate agent licence.

Curious as to why the career path of a PM? Loads of opportunity in the industry, but tough gig.

4. Bill2255

Just scoping out at this stage and trying to work out what options are available. But mainly trying to see the entry path first.

what would be example of loads of opportunities in industry?

5. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Are you aware of the debit/credit system of wages for selling agents?
    Learn the Truth About Real Estate Commissions | PropertyNow
    The agency you work for will receive the lions share of the commission and believe me there are agencies that will screw you, whereas a PM is paid a weekly wage [no debit/credit] and depending on your employer maybe some commission, plus regular hours.

Last edited: 31st May, 2023
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Good property managers are near impossible to find, so a good PM is in high demand.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your requirements are here:

Property professionals

You will require a certificate of registration to start in the industry and have 4 years to achieve the next class of licence.

8. Bill2255

thanks. i registered for assistant manager course.

now just have to see how to apply for PM related jobs. i guess at this stage it's just getting work experience

9. Bill2255

thanks. yeah my interest at this stage are in property management.
    i registered for assistant course.

I'll have to start searching for property management internship type positions

balwoges likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

No idea. The industry uses recruiters or recruitment portals - plenty of articles available.

Try seek - property administrator/administration, property officer etc.

What skills do you bring to the table especially if you have other non-property experience bookkeeping, office administration, personality, retail sales experience etc.

balwoges likes this.
  11. Bill2255

thanks a lot.

thanks a lot. that's really helpful. I'll search for those roles.

i do have property experience of managing my own IP :) i bring tech programming skills. at this stage I'm just after internship and aligning myself with the right agency and get some industry experience.

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

"Internship" isnt a lawful employment process in Australia. Employees must be paid and award rates apply. Internship is a despicable US based way to avoid paying and isnt allowed here. Is it modern slavery ? Hence the....we need need experience but you need experience to apply problem. Its not a well paid part of the real estate industry. Its award rate stuff.

You will find real estate agents use specific practice software and match this against (audited) trust account transactions and there wont be much need for IT skills. Basic admin and task and customer management will be skills that combined with team work, leading & task management to ensure minimal supervision after proving skills under supervision. Experience as a owner may assist little but provide some empathy to that side of things. The legal and trust compliance will be a large element incl basic paperwork, condition reports, adverts, walk throughs and paying clinet bills and managing repair etc issues. . The tenant view will be important to understand too as will the need for the agency to manage both tenants and owners. Communication skills in written and verbal matters will be important. Incl how to handle karens.

13. Scott No Mates

Interesting as many companies offer 13 week internships as course related industry experience in return for intensive training (eg engineering, fashion design, accounting etc), including companies which are required to submit to the modern slavery statement register.

How does that style of internship get around the Modern Slavery Act 2018?

14. Bill2255

i did mean paid internship :) or like scott mentioned with free training in return.

it's good to know that unpaid internship is not a common thing in the industry. looks like it's a warning sign if someone offering internship without pay. you are right it's an American word. i guess better work in Australia is work experience?

15. Paul@PAS

Poorly paid may be closer to the meaning. But its experience.

16. Paul@PAS

Have you seen what a US bartender or waiter earns ? Some jobs dont even get minimum wages if tips are involved. Some get both. Even cab drivers in the USA who dont own the plates / car face tips only with the owner collecting the fares and paying for fuel. Mind you thats a clear 20% The US labour system is a disgrace.

The min award for waiters is $2.13 USD a hour. Some states have other rules. Imagine working full time and being paid $130 a week in AUD terms ?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia