Not-so-happy start to Australia Day

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by KayTea, 26th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Gotta love getting up this morning to a phone call from the bank - my credit card has been used for a 'suspicious transaction' (which I confirmed, as I wasn't shopping in Kmart in the USA yesterday)

Unfortunately, the transaction was processed, but the card was then put on hold, and has now been cancelled. I now need to go through the horrid process of waiting for a new card (which I hate, as almost all my transactions are on credit so I can maximise my monthly offset amount), reorganising direct debits, and sorting out the transaction (as that is debt I can live without) …… grrrr……….. :mad:

2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I had the same call yesterday. They said they were monitoring Kmart America.
    I thought it was one of those scams and was waiting for the questions asking for my details but they didn't come.
    I rang 28Degrees and they confirmed. I'm still dubious. I tried to log in and it asked for my new card number. The reason I got the 28degree card is because my VISA was defrauded twice and it's a pain having to change direct debits. I only use this for travel.
    I leave Australia in 2 weeks. Hope it's here by then.

3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Kmart is the states is way better than Aus... The sell brand name clothes in their Kmart.

KayTea likes this.
  4. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Such a pain! Same happened to me a few years ago. I had about 40 direct debits set up on the card and thought I got them all until I received a couple of letters in the mail about dishonoured direct debits. Whoops!

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You might be ok with the direct debits... not sure about your card setup but sometimes its not using the credit card number itself but a different account number?
    Touch wood...

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I used to have my credit card number memorised... easy number, had it since I was 18. Great for online shopping etc. Then I had to get a new credit card number because I think I temporarily lost the wallet. The new one is not a number I just remember so I have to pull out the card if I want to buy anything online... such a pain.

7. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

When I got the phone call this morning I didn't quite get to the phone in time, so they left a voice mail message with a return number to call. Just to make sure the phone call wasn't a scam, I called the bank's direct line - sure enough, they'd called and left a message.

The whole thing is just painful, but I'm so glad that I'm not leaving to go on hols soon - I really hope your situation gets sorted before then. I'm peeved that I have a direct debit due to come out tonight, with a big dishonour fee, and I can't call to change the account details in time (damned public holiday).

8. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Nup - have to change them……. :(

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Got back from USA 3 days ago and 28 degree was great. You will need to inform 28 degree your travel dates. I also used citibank debit card but didn't try to transfer funds until I needed it (when transferring, we need to verify the SMS but we couldn't receive SMS there). Good thing my business partner was happy to help.

10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Similar thing two months ago but was for $1.40. Looked like some apple app charge. Bank rang me and advised it was a scam and cancelling cards.

Apparently they run multiple numbers and those that don't reject they hit again for larger amount.

Royal pain in the backside.

11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It would have been more of a hassle if the bank had not picked up the dodgy transaction and acted so quickly.

KayTea, Tyler Durden and 158 like this.
  12. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Exactly! Suncorp is excellent for this and very quick to either email or call when something doesn't look quite right.

Gone are the days of receiving a paper statement and then spending weeks sorting it out.

13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Oh no!
    What a pain, why do people want to cause so much trouble for other people?

Not ok at all
    Hope it gets sorted today.

14. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @KayTea

After having this happen to me twice, I now have one credit card that is allocated to direct debits and I NEVER use it for online purchases and activity. I have a separate card that I use for online purchases. That way if the card gets hacked I can cancel it without disrupting direct debits and worrying about forgetting to fix up direct debit info on something important like health insurance.

Gockie and wylie like this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is a great idea JacM even just so when the new card issues it is easy to know what companies to give the new number to and not miss any. It amazes me that in 2016 we have to contact each direct debit company and change card details. What do we pay the banks for again...?

JacM likes this.
  16. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you on that, @Depreciator. It's just been a really sh@#$% week so far, and this was just another kick in the pants that I could have done without.

17. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I actually do this, too.

Which has me thinking that someone else has used my details……..

18. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Yikes