Not getting the price you want.

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Ian87, 27th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Hi all, just had 4 valuations done on a property. 1 came back at high 4’s to low 5’s 1 at 535-555 another at 550-575 and the final one at 550-600.

I am a little worried about the variance. If we got between either of the two higher estimates we would sell. The place is currently tenanted with great long term tenants. And costs little to hold but the cash can be used for new opportunities.

Anyway just wondering people’s thoughts on agent conditioning I.e giving me a high number then trying to break me down as the weeks go on. Don’t want to go through a long sales process, upset the tenant and then not get what we want out of it.

What are the costs involved if we don’t sell?

Any other thoughts etc would be appreciated.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are they paid valuations by a registered valuer or a guess/marketing tool by an agent?

If the latter, the highest appraisals are telling you what you want to hear. Have they provided the justification for those prices? Have they all used the same/similar properties when arriving at their estimate? How recent are their sales? (one month in the current market could be a 2-3% difference).

Propertunity and Beano like this.
  3. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Just agent valuations however I got a bank valuation at 580 in October. Not had all the paperwork through yet. As they only went through today, just spoke on the phone.

But yeah I am with you on them only telling me what I want to hear. So trying to get as much detail together of what could happen if we don’t get what we want from it as I am not in a financial position where I have to sell.

4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Get 4 paid valuations by a registered valuer.
    I am keen to see how close they are to each other.

Archaon likes this.
  5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Just to be clear you had 4 appraisals done, not valuations. REAs are Sales agents not Valuers.

Have you asked the agents how they 'appraised' the properties?
    Did they provide you comparable sales? Did they sell the properties?
    Did you discuss the costs with the agents?
    How did you select the agents?
    How did you think each of the agents performed?
    What do you believe the property is worth?

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Ask each agent to justify how they arrived at the valuation figure, and also to supply details of the previous sales they used to arrive at the valuation. They should have done this when presenting their estimation to you.

Then compare your property with other similar properties available for sale and the prices being asked.
    Marg

wylie, Ian87 and Brady like this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Agent appraisals are often a best case. Part of their selling skill is then driving down your expectation when a lower offer arrives. Or driving up a unwilling buyer. If they will go higher. In a dull market they may not.

...You got 4 agent appraisals and didnt ask ?? I think you missed the most important parts of seeking a sale and an agent to do that. They will tell you stuff for free.

Brady likes this.
  8. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

I am meeting with a couple tomorrow. When I posted this yesterday they had just been through the property, it is currently tenanted so I wasn’t there. I had a short phone conversation with each of them. Hence why I am asking people here what I should be looking out for and asking. I understand that the agents telling me the highest number are buttering me up to gain business. Again just looking for advice from more experienced members.

Tomorrow when I meet them I expect to be given a run down if comparable sales etc.

What would you say is the most important questions I should ask them?

Thanks.

Brady likes this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Now that I think about it, it's kinda weird that we never talked to more than one agent when we were selling! o_O

We either handed the sale to the managing agent (I guess trusting the agency sort of thing? They are also the ones that would most likely to have sold it to us.....) or to an agent that sold a similar place to ours (eg apartment in the same block) for a good price.

We always started off with an idea about what we could get (I mean that's the whole reason you monitor what sold in your hood right?.... other than to see how much unrealised gain/loss you have....) and proceeded talks from there about fees, campaign, worst case (what if the campaign crashes and burns) etc.

The Y-man

10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Auction it ... :D

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I rarely bother with valuations when selling. My #1 source of analysis is comparables, apples with apples as much as possible . Also taking into account where you (roughly) currently sit in the state cycle . That will give you the best indication of what range yours will sell for .

Brady likes this.
  12. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I think they should be doing the selling to why you should select them, if they can't sell to you - how are they going to get maximum price.

Paul@PAS likes this.