Northwest Metro impacting property prices?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by standtall, 15th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

The experience won't be great for most people that have to travel beyond Chatswood for the first 4-5 years.
    You are also still limited by how many trains can travel on that line. Whats it going to be like with train after train dumping people out at Chatswood.

In regards to frequency, you are talking about the maximum design frequency. Not what it will open with.

It was still needed and will bring improvements in the future, but have to watch out not to drink the kool aid too.

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Trains previously from Epping no longer go across the bridge, allows for increased services down the north shore line to take up the slack for rail traffic across the bridge.

Interchange between metro and north shore line is across the platform at Chatswood. Hardly a significant inconvenience.

Would think a 3-4 minute wait for a connecting train in peak ( looking at TripView they are currently every 3-4 minutes from Chatswood to town hall ).

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Agree 3-4 minute changeover isn’t bad but for majority populations in Cherrybrook, West Pennant Hills, Dural and parts of Castle Hill/Kellyville - new train means 15+ mins of ‘STANDING’ commute with new train.

My wife is already contemplating buying monthly parking space in CBD as driving may be better than public transportation for the first time in a long time.

4. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

When I started looking in the NW I researched this a lot. From my reading on transport forums, the North Shore line can now run 20 trains each hour towards the city, the maximum for a line running the double deck trains and more than nearly any other single line.

What they are most likely going to do is run empty trains from Lindfield and Gordon to start at Chatswood, timed to arrive when the busiest of the 15 Metro trains arrive, it wont be as good as a through line but we will see if its as bad as some make out.

The seating thing is BS. The usual 15 minute service for Sydney trains has seating for 3584 passengers with a standard double deck train. This is what you currently have between Pennant Hills and Town Hall. The Metro running fifteen 8 carriage trains (maximum is thirty trains) has seating for 7560 passengers!

wombat777 likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

With driving she'd have to use the Lane Cove tunnel every morning to get in.... Epping Rd peak hour on a weekday is utterly frustrating. She'd also have Harbour Bridge tolls and the cost of parking....

6. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Seriously, nobody moves to Cherrybrook for transport reasons right?

If one wants one's child to enter that thou-shall-not-be-named school, one needs to grin and bear with all these transport issues:D

(easy for me to say..all mine went either selective or private on scholarships):p

Someguy likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My understanding is city rail will have a high frequency loop using heavy carriages between Chatswood and Redfern (or is it Central?) in both directions until Stage 2 is launch in years to come. In return some (but not all) existing North Shore line train passengers will also need to switch trains at Chatswood from the dedicated loop platform to the mail line services. From what I could find the ones that wont need to loop are express north shoe line trains only.

This is why a transit opal concession is going to apply. Switching services is still a tap off/on but nobody is worse off and nobody can use loopholes for multiple trips either. I suspect outcry over not tapping on/off could still be a complaint when I saw this concession.

They are keeping quite ahead of the election to limit people speculating it will be a disaster. The Epping-Chatwood temporary bus routes have been quiet since launching and seem to be working (subject to Macquarie starting back)

8. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

No, this is definitely not the case. The North Shore line will run as it does now, trains through Town Hall and Central to Strathfield where they split to either run to Hornsby using the Northern line or Parramatta and beyond using the Western line. There is no infrastructure to run what is being put forward there, i.e. the North Shore line can not terminate trains at Central or Redfern in that way and in reverse the Western and Northern lines cannot run all their trains into Central to terminate as there isn't enough capacity. Currently some express trains from both the Western and Northern lines do terminate at Central but that's always been.

You also cant terminate any North Shore line services at Chatswood, there's no where to do it, Its technically possible at North Sydney but only done if there's issues on the line. So no one from the North Shore line will be forced to change anywhere before the CBD. There are already trains on the North Shore line that start at Gordon and Lindfield, they are just adding more and also possibly running them empty so that they can be fully filled at Chatswood. I suspect it wont be needed.

As I understand it there is no reason to tap on/off, the Metro fares are integrated with this existing system, its just privately run, its owned by the Government just like all the other lines. Don't let people fool you with that one. People from the NWRL will just get straight off a Metro train in the two middle platforms at Chatswood and walk across the platform to get on a more frequent North Shore line service to North Sydney and the CBD or north to Gordon and beyond.

wombat777 likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Makes sense....Not a lot being said and many waiting for buses are getting those little notes which mean = Long delays getting to work. Just seems to follow the long term M2 widening and the North Connex changes that seem to have followed each other as one very long term traffic project

Seems the fix lies in the weekly half fare discount for multiple fares to access free transport in a week. They flagged a issue with through transfer on Opal since it wasnt a "route"...Easy fix it seems is treat all metro included travel as a continuous journey until a arrival through tap off. If anyone taps off then back on at Chatswood to game the system it will unwind their attempt.. That was the scam the media raised as a loophole. And the original plan was a tap on /off which seemed illogical. Nice to see thats simplified. Anyone on any arrival point on a metro will be treated as confined to the metro until they tap off elsewhere and if they tap back on within 60 mins it isnt counted.

JB40 likes this.
  10. wombat777

Off-topic but does anyone have insights into expected mobile phone coverage within the Metro?

It’s about 80% tunnel so would hope that there is good coverage.

11. wombat777

Attached Files:

12. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

13. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

They are temporarily running buses between Chatswood and Epping while they convert the line from running Double Deck trains to Single Deck trains. When completed services will go from a train every 15 minutes with the Double Deck trains to a train every 4 minutes with the Single Deck trains. These new trains have the ability to run a train every 2 minutes when the line is extended from Chatswood through the City and out to Bankstown.