NSW North Shore - Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Propin, 17th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

If people refer to living on the North Shore of Sydney where do they live? I couldn’t find a specific area but maybe I missed it?

2. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

North of the Harbour bridge - but it's generally further split into Upper and Lower. Lower North Shore - closer to the bridge eg Mosman, Lane Cove, Chatswood, or Upper North Shore - Lindfield, Turramurra etc

Wikipedia claims up to Berowra, but that's well outside what the normal hoighty toity would consider North Shore. If you get past Wahroonga you've gone too far!

North Shore (Sydney) - Wikipedia

Propin likes this.
  3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Many years ago, there was a story in the SMH about where the north shore boundaries extend.

The cartoon on the article showed a lady with her nose stuck firmly in the air, saying "The North shore begins and ends with me".

Propin and chylld like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I largely agree with the Wikipedia article linked to by @Danyool

Generally speaking, I would suggest, Lower North Shore is bounded by:
    • Sydney Harbour / Parramatta River to the south
    • Lane Cove River to the west - people in North Ryde would possibly dispute this, but I do agree that Hunters Hill should be included, but not Gladesville though
    • Middle Harbour to the east (the other side of Middle Harbour is the Lower Northern Beaches)
    • Boundary St to the North (ie Chatswood is Lower, while Roseville is Upper)
    • I similarly disagree about the northern boundary of the upper north shore. I'm sure people living from Hornsby to Berowra include themselves - but I think they are closer to the eastern part of the Hills District myself (next to Pennant Hills / Thornleigh). I'd draw the line at start of the Motorway in Wahroonga.
    I think it works quite neatly broken down by council areas for the Lower North Shore:
    • Mosman
    • North Sydney
    • Willoughby
    • Lane Cove
    • Hunters Hill ?
    ... while the Upper North Shore is all Kuringai Council (which indeed stops at Wahroonga)

Hornsby council goes all the way up to the Hawkesbury and as far as Wisemans Ferry :eek: (although most of that is national park and very sparsely populated)

Propin likes this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I agree with this.

Propin likes this.
  6. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Agree that "North Shore" refers to the "Lower North Shore" region as used by realestate/domain/etc.

Can't find a clear map of Sydney regions, but this re search does the trick:
    ss (2019-01-17 at 09.00.57).jpg

Propin likes this.
  7. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

My Take , for me there are two different ways to look at the North Shore , Geographically ( See Simon's Post ) and Socially

Having lived on the north shore on and off since 1969 , for me geographically , The North shore is the North shore Rail line which goes from North Sydney upto Brooklyn and Hunters Hill to Mosman and areas in between which make up the lower north shore . Places off to the west such as Ryde are Northern suburbs , though it can get blurred out to the west as the North Shore moniker is preferred and places like thornleigh like to be in the north shore , while people on the North shore would discount them .

If you're looking at the " Socially elite , Traditional snobby " Upper North shore " with the lady with the stuck up nose , It's East side of Pacific Highway from Roseville to Wahroonga ,

Obviously the Lower North Shore from Hunters Hill through to Mosman has always been wealthy areas and part of the North Shore ( which really what defines " The North Shore " ) , Areas around Artarmon / Willoughby were cheaper and didn't have that degree of social acceptability . Given those areas are closer to the City , in the last 30 - 40 years , they've moved up in price and are much more prized than they were 40 years ago and would now be considered part of the North Shore . Even Chatswood would be acceptable now ....

While Chatswood is now expensive, traditionally it was cheap, as was Waitara upwards . Even now Waitara north wouldn't be considered part of the North Shore now , though they would consider themselves part of it , but deep down they know their not ....

When I was at school at Knox in the 70's , you didn't admit to living on the West side .

When my daughter was at PLC in the 90's , one of her best friends lived in Mt Colah which was about a ten min drive from where we lived ( worse now with the Traffic ) , but some mothers wouldn't take their kids for play overs there to quote " we don't go that far for holidays " . They'd happily drive to Palmy or Whale beach , or to the airport to go OS , or even drive the six hours down to Thredbo to their Chalet , but Mt Colah .... seriously

The epicenter of the North Shore Line ( as opposed to Hunters Hill to Mosman ) has always been " East side , Walk Station " . You'll always see that in real estate adds , though some agents will stretch the truth on the walk bit . Obviously in the Lower North shore , waterfront is the elite , though expansive water views or views to the City is ok . and water glimpses follows behind

Cliff

8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

While working as a REA at Wahroonga the east side of the railway was considered better than the west and it was reflected in the price of properties.

Propin likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Artarmon is probably a good example of this looking at the development of the area.

East side of the railway line (other than the stretch along Elizabeth St) is all single family houses which are protected and cannot be developed further.

West side of the railway line is now all medium/high density with single family houses becoming increasingly rare.

Similarly, Chatswood West would be considered rather less desirable than Chatswood itself.

It's interesting that I still do find a degree of snobbery dividing the "waterfront" suburbs with those further inland. Basically, anything south of the Pacific Highway (or perhaps even River Rd!), so Riverview, Longueville, Greenwich, etc - even Northbridge and Castlecrag around on Middle Harbour all seem to be of higher "status" (regardless of water views!) than Lane Cove / Artarmon / Willoughby / Chatswood.

I don't know enough people who live in the "Lower" Lower North Shore (Neutral Bay through to Mosman) to understand the nuances there.

I also find it interesting that the different areas all have very distinct personalities.

Wander through Chatswood and in recent years you'll find it has "doubled down" on the Chinese influence - even in Westfield, where many shops and restaurants have moved out (or been pushed out?) in favour of the large Chinese restaurants where you see lines of people waiting for a table.

When Myer finally goes under - I would not be surprised at all to see several levels of Westfield converted into a giant Chinese restaurant! :p

Artarmon Village is still a bit of a melting pot without a specific demographic - probably due to the high density living attracting a diverse range of people. It is interesting the Japanese influence which has developed in recent years - with several restraurants and speciality shops opening.

Crows Nest is very hippy / alternative.

Neutral Bay is very yuppie / aspirational.

At least that is my perception based on limited observation.

Scarily enough, this month marks 20 years that we have been living in Artarmon! Time has passed rather quickly.

Last edited: 17th Jan, 2019
  10. Simon Hampel

Is that still the case now?

11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Artarmon Village is quite trendy... as long as you're east of the rail line :p

We love Crows Nest, used to live just across its border with North Sydney. Whenever we take our dogs there for a walk, we meet so many friendly happy people. Not exactly the same response in Ryde ("that's not a dog, that's a rat!")

ss (2019-01-17 at 11.09.27).jpg

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the discussions of what constitutes the 'inner west' vs 'west'. The area keeps expanding (Ashfield was as far as you could go in the inner-west but even Strathfield/Homebush are considered inner-west, which they're not).

I have met plenty of folk who consider the lower north shore starts at Chatswood (that leaves out the Lane Cove & Hunters Hill LGAs undeservedly as 'northern suburbs').

East-side of the highway has always been considered more desirable as it is closer to the rail line.

Propin likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

So that's 1 coffee shop, 2 cafes, 2 restaurants, a Gelatissimo, and two Japanese mini marts? :p

Given how alternative Crows Next can be, I'm sure even walking a rat would be accepted with delight! :D

Propin and chylld like this.
  14. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I would think so, houses on the west side not nearly as grand as those on the east side where they are older, better built, blocks of land bigger ... :)

15. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Sure beats the west side! Need to try The Wilkes, Salvage was good

16. See Change

It always will be . Lots of the west was developed in the 60-s - 70's so the old mansions on large blocks are all on the east side , It's flatter , has more nice parks . Many smaller 60's houses in the west . There are pockets close to the stations that are on the west which are "Ok ' Pymble Ave is a good example . Some really expensive houses , but they still don't compare with places like Pibrac Ave in Warrawee .

Most people out side the north shore have never heard of Warrawee , but it has some of the nicest houses around .

eg 27 Pibrac Avenue, Warrawee, NSW 2074
    That's an acceptable Upper North Shore House

Cliff

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

18. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Wikipedia gets it pretty much right
    North Shore (Sydney) - Wikipedia
    but naturally there's going to be dissension from the locals :rolleyes:
    Having worked in the NS for several years I can confirm that "east side walk to rail" is the parameter by which buyers measure value and perceived social status, in some cases :D
    And @See Change is SO right about some agents stretching the truth when it comes to what defines a "walk" to public transport (For those of you who know the area have you tried walking 500m up Duff St or Finlay Rd in Turramurra/Warrawee for eg?) Never rely on google maps when ascertaining true walking distances on the north shore :p as the west side can fall away quite sharply in some of those valleys!

And Seech yes you have great taste :)- over an acre of land in Warrawee in that position looks pretty nice to me, though I've got to say that at $12m I think I 22 Warrawee Ave that sold for just under $9m looked like better value 22 Warrawee Avenue, Warrawee NSW 2074 - House Sold - chadwickrealestate.com.au
    We can dream.....:D:D:D

Propin and WattleIdo like this.
  19. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

We were in Willoughby for 8 years and now been in Northbridge for 17 years.
    Started because we were housesitting a unit at Artarmon and the rented a friend's place at Cammeray - once we had gone North there was no going back.

The big difference is the traffic and noise - there is no through traffic in the "waterfront suburbs"".

For me the North Shore ends at Lane Cove and Turramurra. Ryde and Hornsby etc just seem to be different.

Love the Indian takeaway at Artarmon..

Propin likes this.
  20. See Change

:rolleyes:
    The advantage of Pibrac Ave is it’s a culdesac, where as Warrawee Ave can be a bit of a through road with more traffic :rolleyes: . I think water st has a really nice feel , though it’s a bit further away from the station .

33 Water Street, Wahroonga, NSW 2076

Cliff

Jacque and WattleIdo like this.