QLD North Brisbane - middle ring growing fast.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Codie, 20th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

I am originally from Sydney, as you say there really isn't a "beach", but many people do like to live near the water for a range of reasons, boating, fishing, water sports, café scene, walking etc and the breezes. I just don't personally see anything special about Tingalpa. The bayside has so much development, where I have bought there isn't a street without a large reno or a new build. The bay areas also have the train line, so it isn't that much further for commuters. Not sure about the school catchment area for Tingalpa, but the bay suburbs have good schools. I have seen a lot of growth in my properties on the Northside, on the train line and close to the city, but it depends what you are looking for. I think another excellent area is The Gap, many people are looking to be in The Gap catchment schools. The Gap isn't on a train line.

2. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Thanks, so you still think North bris over Bayside near the water? I might look at North side near the train line

3. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

Both areas are good- got my $ in both.

4. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

I don’t know , but there is a lot of stuff sold recently around farranr street and about 3/4 for sale at the moment , what is the process for bcc to sell public houses

I spoke with a north brisbane house design company they told me that all inner bcc public houses are going on the market as they vacate I don’t know anymore than this

But what is the process for public houses to go private as this obviously drives improvement in a suburb

5. Thedoc

Thedoc Well-Known Member

South side is a bit of a ******** to be honest. North way nicer

Elives, Whitecat, Codie and 1 other person like this.
  6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

North is the way to go. Similarly to Sydney where the latte line seperates the North from the South, I recon the North is way better.

ndpjai, Whitecat, Angel and 3 others like this.
  7. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I’m unsure how much truth there is to this statement but I’ve always been told long term locals stay put in Northside Brisbane, where as the Southside has transacted a lot more over the years and could explain why prices are higher than north relative to distance to CBD. Investors seemed to flood in to MG, Holland park, and Coorparoo/camp hill at one stage. Where as inner middle ring north hasn’t seen as much Investor activity and is more owner occ stock- personally I much prefer the inner north, due to being better value, nicer streets, demographics seem wealthier, commute to CBD or Southbank. I feel it’s undervalued within the north 10km ring. Not so much the south.

Skyegirl, MissMel and Whitecat like this.
  8. Vanillascent

Vanillascent Well-Known Member

Just on the sale of public housing in Stafford/Stafford Heights area, I can confirm that this is the case. I was talking to an agent at 4 open homes in a row in and around farrant street and he confirmed he was working for the Government to sell these properties and that they had released a whole lot of them for sale. They are all empty - I think there was 3-4 on Farrant street alone. Also Waroom St with city views. There are also many for sale by private owners in and around these public housing homes (particularly Farrant Street), so probably could get some good deals there.

Whitecat and QldKoolies like this.
  9. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

That has to be a good thing corn peopery values in Stafford / Stafford heights? That’s what I was told as well. Does that mean that over time all the public housing in Stafford will change into private ownership?

Stafford has a mix of nice pockets and rough, once these areas go into private hands it should drive values in the area?

Whitecat likes this.
  10. Flynn Investor

Flynn Investor Member

Hi Everyone! My husband and I just purchased our first IP in April in Charnwood, ACT (we live in the suburb next door) we are keen for the next property in a year to be outside of Canberra and hear great things about Brisbane. Can anyone recommend suburbs that are a good starting point to check out ($400-$480,000) We don't know Brisbane at all!

orangestreet likes this.
  11. QldKoolies

QldKoolies Well-Known Member

If you are willing to put a little work into fixing it up i’d go for a run down house in a good street in Nundah or Everton Park but not too close to apartments.

Codie likes this.
  12. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Nundah. Nice one. Was there last week. Fuel & Co Cafe for the win!

Sackie likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

REA took me there not long ago. There desserts are top notch:cool:

fols likes this.
  14. fols

fols Well-Known Member

My day invariably become a dual search, 1) the perfect property and 2) the perfect coffee

Sackie and BarneyRubble like this.
  15. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Flynn is a decent place to live and although the Stigma attached to Charny; if its for investment purposes and you can get good tenants and a place on the good streets then you can get a decent enough yield with some growth.

The same principles apply elsewhere (e.g your QLD goal) and you may benefit from looking at Ferny Grove/Keperra Border. Look for strong OO areas and low unemployment. Cheers

16. JS21

JS21 Member

Nundah is a long way gone from the sub $500k range, even run down houses. Unless on a major road, which would make a terrible investment.

Everton Park similarly, has really moved in recent times, and it's essentially impossible to buy anything investment grade there for sub $550k nowdays, let alone $480k.

17. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

I have been looking for an IP around Everton Park area but am not familiar with the area, what are the general good/ bad streets/ areas? Also any opinion on what could drive growth in the area in the future?