ASX Shares Non-Big 4s

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Angel, 6th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hi, I am interested in your collective thoughts on the smaller banks such as BOQ and Suncorp. I was doing preliminary research the other day and it seems Suncorp is really an insurance company with banking on the side. I was thinking of purchasing some more BOQ shares. Or would you suggesting sticking with the unsinkable ships.Thanks

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm thinking if the broker channel gets pummelled due to the Royal Commission, loan seekers will go directly to the big 4 banks directly for a loan. They won't look to the smaller banks as a first choice.

So if that happens, I think the Royal Commission is helping the big banks. I don't think it was an intended outcome, but I think if the Brokers are cut out of the picture, it could happen.

qak likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Angel one of those asx listed I have had a interest in from 2'/10/1995 the entry price back then was $3.78 that went to $17.93 29/10 2007 ,then 30/9/2009 --$8.46 ,10/3/2015 the entry price was $13.78 just to give you an idea on the way numbers change ..Plus all the numbers above one can link to prior GFC mach one and various other doom and gloom media spills ..Those numbers dates are from year diary that I have in front of me..

This is not advice,as you asked me a question once before and I have never ever came to this site to sell anything and I will try and answer this question in the same honest way..

I would not invest one cent in Suncorp as the whole qld coastal and inland are all in cyclone alley and as mother nature has a peculiar sense of hospitality ,too high risk for a village idiot like me..

With BOQ investment wise from my experience yes I would invest in them if I was looking for somewhere to park our money long-term ,and I have invested every div back into them from day one,and still compounding away day in day out after the man that I have sat next to back then for 20 years took the time to explain to me about compounding x compounding as I was green investment wise I did not know what compounding was nor could spell the word..

The only item I don't like is they have the AGM at the Brisbane Hilton late each year and I sit with the same man each year for 20 years his wife is at their home with the 24/7 home care..And we both complain when the chairman of the board walks around talking to everyone about when they used to give a QLD made Christmas cake for each hin paper work each year but they stopped doing that several years ago ,,apart from that I would say yes ..imho..

Last edited: 6th Feb, 2019
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

There's plenty of great second tier lenders, but repeated bad experiences have taught me to avoid these two.

BOQ aren't particularly well resourced compared to others. If there's a list of lenders with a risk of collapsing, they're probably on it.

Suncorp is entirely unpredictable in lending. They're arguably one of the most conservative lenders I've encountered, getting money from them is like squeezing a rock for water. Their service levels can be good today, completely terrible tomorrow. They adjust their rates frequently behind. The rates may look good now, but probably not in the future.

Like I said, there's others that are more predictable, more consistent, and more competitive.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

6. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Have you looked at ME Bank? I think they are pretty neat :D

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

upload_2019-2-7_5-9-11.png

I also have a interest in BEN..That is also worth a look ..imho..

8. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

You can't buy shares in ME! They're owned by a number of superannuation companies if I'm not mistaken?

9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I think they are owned by depositors. Super funds are the biggest depositors. But true. You can’t buy shares.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.