WA No shared bathroom

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Xander84, 12th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xander84

Xander84 Member

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on not having a shared bathroom in a house.

I'm looking at the property below which was three bedrooms, two with en-suites but no guest bathroom or even powder room. I live alone so it doesn't bother me but just wondering if this would have an effect on the value? I imagine the floor plan wouldn't work for most families.

https://www.domain.com.au/20c-hayes-street-bunbury-wa-6230-2016791536

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Never heard of that before. Insane. When I bought my first investment it was a one bedder, and one of the main things I looked for was a shared bath / toilet. I didn't want people stomping through my bedroom. Private space and all.

Last edited: 12th Feb, 2021
    Beano and Shogun like this.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I would only call that 2 bedroom and a study. The user of third "bedroom" would need to walk through another bedroom to access a bathroom. How do guests use a toilet? Same way :(

A no for me

Last edited: 12th Feb, 2021
    Sarob and Beano like this.
  4. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

That’s odd. But looks like it would be an easy fix so wouldn’t stop me from buying the property - just add a door into the main en-suite between the bath and toilet and block off the existing door. Then call the bedroom at the back of the house the master. Would cost maybe $2-3k? Nothing in the grand scheme of buying a house.

Sackie, Westminster and Angel like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

That is a weird layout.

Almost as bad as the bathroom issue is the long, tunnel hallway entry.

But if you do like it, pay 2 bedroom value, as it is really 2 bedrooms and a study.

Then re-jig the laundry, cupboard, hallway section to a combined powder room laundry combo - you may have to lose the external door. That will solve the visitor toilet problem. Anyone staying over would know you well enough to use one of the showers.

qak and Mark F like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would be doing a council DA search to see if the ensuite in the rear bedroom is approved and if mods are approved. I would be surprised in the original approved plans had no bathroom. Families may also note there is no bath and only showers. This could be a challenging seller as it really makes it unusual and will limit buyers.

qak likes this.
  7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Floorplan doesn't make sense for a 3 bedder, or if you want visitors.

Google Maps shows it all under one roof. #20 block goes to a very large 20E so I'd be a bit worried about what you might get behind you.

8. qak

qak Well-Known Member

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It kinda looks like its for older people etc rather than a "family". But a small ensuite makes no sense for the use. Such accomodation normally will have baths, lifting space etc.
    The verandah spaces and sliding doors as a % of floorplan etc are unorthodox and may be a sign of assisting acecss for wheelchairs etc and a sign of "oldies housing". Its like "rooms to rent" with a common laundry and kitchen and shared garage rather than a house.

Google maps seems to indicate its housing near to and even associated with Bunbury Gardens Community Care (aged care) across the road adn much of this is in the street and this could well be neighbouring assisted living housing in suport of the aged care (ie transitional housing). I would be very cautious about buying into such a community due to proximity. Look at #32 its all "former" assisted living retiree housing

eg sign in this image says "retirement living"
    Picture1.jpg

Shogun likes this.
  10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

That plan is much better, it gives access to the main bathroom from the hallway as well as from a bedroom.

qak and Shogun like this.