No break cost fees on fixed loans.

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Barny, 8th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Thought I'd share what's currently happened.

Yesterday I had 822k investment loan with bom Interest only loans fixed for 2 years. I had 1 year and 5 months remaining at 4.39%.
    Through com bank interest only investment loans of 350k which was also fixed for 2 years, but 1 year 5 months remaining at 4.49%
    I called up to see what the break fees were going to be prior to refinancing and fixing some loans up correctly, as @Jess Peletier, has managed to get me some fantastic rates. Big thanks.
    Turns out I have no break fees what so ever, both bank lenders were shocked when they found out, and had to check 3 times to clarify it was correct.

When I asked 5 months ago, I had roughly 3000 break fees from bom, and about 1000 from com bank.

Anyone understand how this is possible?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Investment loan rates have risen due to APRA etc in the past 5 months. The variable rate is now 0.5% higher in most cases. Variable rates around 4.8% mean this is higher than the fixed so they will break it no fee. But unlike the good old days they wont pay you a benefit.

Barny likes this.
  3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Interesting. I would have thought they still could have made a profit from me breaking my fixed rates as I can now get cheaper fixed rates than what I had locked in place.

4. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    Last edited: 8th Mar, 2016
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

CBAs rates are higher today than they were a few months ago.

The irony is they'll immediately turn around and offer 4.19% 3 year fixed at the moment. Break your fixed rate at no cost, turn around and refix 20 points lower. The CBA's pricing policies is good for new borrowers, but they're really just hurting themselves right now.

Keep in mind that they'll probably charge a processing fee to do this, but it's almost certainly worth it.

Barny likes this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice