No air con compensation

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by bob shovel, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Gday all i pose a question from the other side.

we are renting a house and the air con has stopped working.

we rang the pmwho said they would arrange someone to come out. it took close to 2 weeks to get someone. we called the pm a number of times to find out whatwas happening they said they could not get ahold of him. we are in northam, wa a small town and pobably one air con guy.
    he eventually arrived and said he got the original order but no PO so was waiting for that... he saidshe said butwe were still waiting.
    now he looked at the unit and the landlord has done a very dodgey installing leading to it burning out. so itneeds a newsplit system installed. not confirmed yet but atleast a week one would think.

nw the last few nights have been the coldest of the year, down to zero. we have 2 smallkids and its not an ideal situation. we had an oil heater so they are sorted but just in their room

2. bob shovel

sorry about the typos, having phone issues with the new PC format.

is a form of compensation unrealistic?what is the best way to handle it

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

At the end of the day - if it's a small town and there simply isn't much choice for who you can get to do these jobs, I'm not sure there's much you can do. Sometimes these things just take time.

Either way - I'd keep communicating (politely) with the PM and make sure they are aware of the urgency you feel about the situation.

4. bob shovel

yeah i guess were just thinking ahead. the landlord seems like a guy who wants to do every repair, but does fifo so we dont want to wait for him, then to do a dodgey job.... we all know what LL's are like! welcome to tenant chat!

5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Bob, if you were in a city, then 2 weeks would be a long time to wait, but the benefits of life in a small town are not 'quick service' ... having said that, in Sydney we have been waiting weeks and weeks to get the roof repaired.... it's all relative:confused:

6. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

You could always ask. The worst they can say is no. I can't say what I'd do in your landlords situation though because I'd never do FIFO to just do repairs xD

7. bob shovel

he works fifo, but lives 45min away. so he might want to come out when he's back. but hopefully he's learnt after blowing up a 7kw split system

8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Currently in the same situation. Our tenant has been kept updated on the issues and we have to a solution that he keeps his unauthorised pet (discovered when trying to arrange a contractor) whilst we keep trying.

However, note that the tenant is only a young guy with no kids and is rarely at home and the area's temperatures to date have been mild.

I would suggest that you offer to compensate up to an agreed amount two heaters so that the family are kept warm.

9. bob shovel

good idea @Chilliblue

i guess its more to get things moving quickly. we have only moved in not long ago and only staying for winter, it was a selling point

10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I'd be asking for compensation, even if its just to partially motivate them LL/PM to get it done quicker. Legally you're probably entitled to some as well.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd ask. Doesn't mean you will get but at least it's on the table. It's probably only worth about $20/wk discount on rent. Thankfully it's not 45 degrees in summer and you can rug the kids up and put in heaters.

12. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

A friend had a similar issue in Melbourne where the property was advertised for rent as toasty and warm and then the air con died of old age in less than a month. The owner refused to replace the unit as this was a short 6 month tenancy until the property was bull dozed.

She kept all her correspondence with the agent, arranged independent quotes, recorded the winter nightly temperatures and then took owner to VCAT.

She was awarded compensation that totalled 35% of her total rental.

Perp likes this.
  13. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Now that, I agree with. If it's advertised with an air con and then it dies, surely the owner would have to do something about it. If the property was going to be bulldozed, why not offer them a rent reduction for the remainder of their tenancy? I wouldn't install a new unit in the house either but a rent reduction could make things easier. VCAT awarded compensation to them which was equivalent to 35%, which is equivalent to approx 9 weeks of rent. That's a lot of money lost because they refused to do anything.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia