Niro Thambipillay From Investment Rise

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Lightie, 26th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lightie

Lightie Member

He seems to have all his fundamentals correct finds IP for investors. Seems queensland heavy.

Any opinions of him? was considering using him

2. Lightie

Lightie Member

One of his youtube videos

devank likes this.
  3. Lightie

Lightie Member

so i got an email back with a House and land for a 4 bedder with 300Sq land development site costing around $410K

can get similiar house with same dimensions inside 4 bed double garage double bath with 600Sq land for 300k in same area. depreciation cant even justify that difference and an extra tiny bit of rent.

also he had this in his email to me which to me made me puke a tiny amount.

"What I have also been able to do for you, as a special 1 off deal, is get the builder to drop his price by $5,000. On brand new properties, that is almost unheard of so this is quite a rare opportunity for you. "

He gets paid by developer to sell this stuff.
    I kindly declined not saying hes bad or anything up to you to make decision about him.

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Sounds like the typical over priced H&L packages. He probably also arranges finance and will x-Coll your current home so you never find out how far short the valuation comes back.

Glad you declined his generous $5000 discount.

5. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Just another spruiker

6. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Anyone who sells property on behalf of developers whilst disguising themselves as a property adviser should be shown the door. The only way to stop these people is for people to stop using them. You will almost always over pay and they will cite things such as rental guarantees, high depreciation and low maintenance costs as reasons to overcome your doubts. I have even seen companies provide valuations off the basis of other overpriced stock in the same tract to prove "upheld valuations".

Lightie basically summed it up. At the very least do some basic research on comparable properties in and around the area/tract they're selling you this stock and question why often there is a six figure difference. Some of it is because it's new, sure...most of it is because everyone along the way is making money on commissions over and above its underlying intrinsic value...except the uneducated buyer.

I feel very passionately about this stuff and the sooner ASIC gets their act together and regulates property investment as a financial product under the Corporations Act the better the industry will be.

Don't fall for it!

Redwing, Greyghost, mitsui and 3 others like this.
  7. cheesebites

cheesebites Active Member

I was referred to Investment Rise as I am looking to get in to the investment property industry.

I am glad I found this, as I look in to things before I commit.

On his website it says that news.com.au referred to him as "one of the nation’s property experts in 2016". I read both the articles he has appeared in and they only refer to him as "Author and property investment adviser" in such articles.

He also states that his "clients have purchased over $61.8 Million worth of real estate in just the last 6 years alone". Those are impressive numbers indeed.

But his LinkedIN says he has only been running Investment Rise since August 2016, and mentions himself as both Founder and a Consultant.

The other thing that caught my eye was that the names of his testimonials have been changed.

From here: How We Can Help You
    to here: How We Can Help You
    to this site: Investment Rise

Based on this information, I have contacted him to clarify these concerns I have, but heard nothing back as of yet.

I asked a question about this earlier, as I have read horror stories about some spruikers.

Redwing, S1mon and MyPropertyPro like this.
  8. Lightie

Lightie Member

Hey mate yeah I found all this also. So he also has a "motivational" youtube account which he stopped posting on about a year ago right before he suddenly appeared posting under investment rise as a professional property expert who's been in the game for years. He's one of these guys who's trying to build a passive income thru his youtube videos. Property just being his latest thing I highly doubt he has any properties himself.

I honestly could make youtube videos sounding super knowledgeable on an area after 30 minutes of study that would suck in 90% of newbies wanting to invest. Then just flog then OTP garbage. What he's doing is easy and scumbagy as hell.

If you call his companys number he answers.
    First thing I asked if how do you get paid.
    He said by developers he's "free".
    Basically fee for service and a proven track record will beat somone getting paid by the developer any day.

If you want alot of knowledge watch every episode of the property couch with Ben kingsley. Itl stop you ever getting caught by a spruiker. I like nathan birch videos too but take it with a grain of salt as his results arnt typical. He has a super solid base/foundation bought right before sydney booms # jealous. Letting him buy whatever he wants/fun stuff for cashflow now.

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  9. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Ben Kingsley is excellent and the chair of PIPA which is an organisation lobbying for the regulation I mentioned above. I have always sought PIPA professionals as a first port of call which is also why we chose to become a corporate member ourselves.

Research such has been done above is the key to success before investing hundreds of thousands of dollars! It's great to see the holes that have been found!

Westminster and fols like this.
  10. Michael Barnes

Michael Barnes Active Member

I stopped it after 30 seconds. Couldn't handle the excessive hand gestures. What was the video about ?!

11. fols

fols Well-Known Member

I agree with Andrew. For anyone that feels they need to seek professional property investment advice, using a PIPA qualified advisor is a good start.

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

This guy has popped up from nowhere it seems.

PS when I first saw this name, I thought it may have been an ancient philosopher or something :)

13. cheesebites

Wow, glad I did not persue this avenue.

As an update, I have still heard nothing back regarding the below, and a follow up email

It appears upon question, radio silence has been inacted.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Very good BS detector work.
    I personally loved the comment - Helped them buy $61.8m of property and borrow over $100m on property.... Thats not good for someone who sells property. Or does it reflect they have helped people borrow $100M+ to buy property only valued at $61.8m ...?

Is he a broker
    A property agent
    Or an investment adviser with a single property strategy
    But no apparent NSW REA license
    Or Reg Business Name (ASIC)

Redwing likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry Member

Hi all,

Full Disclosure: I am a client of Niro from Investment Rise.
    Allow me to outline my experience as I think it is relevant for anyone considering his services.

I was referred to Niro by a work colleague who said, “Niro was his property guy” and that he’d purchased his investment properties through him. It was the fact that he said, “Properties” that got my attention. However, I was sceptical as I had already been to see so many other so called property advisors and ultimately, they all wanted to flog me some overpriced stock or charge me an exorbitant fee for service.

Many of them also would refer me to brokers who would always look to cross-collateralise my house. Even with my limited knowledge, I could see the risks of that but most brokers seemed to agree this was the way forwards.

Niro was different.

He was the first to say that I needed to use a different lender on my investment property than my home. There were a few reasons for this but one of them was to verify that I was paying the right price for the property.

Niro was literally advocating having an external measure in place to ensure I paid a fair price for the properties he recommended.

That was new for me.

I didn’t tell him I’d been referred to him. Instead, I asked him to give me the name of some clients he had helped previously, which he obliged with. Interestingly, one of the names was the work colleague who referred me – which gave me confidence that he was not making these people up. As I said, I was sceptical.

When I spoke to his past clients, there were some clear themes about Niro which were transparency, professionalism and integrity. In an industry full of spruikers, this was both surprising and reassuring. Comments such as, “I’m glad we trusted him” and “We’ve achieved far more than we ever thought possible” also came through.

This put me at ease but I still did my own due diligence about his recommendations. The areas he spoke about made sense and the properties he recommended seemed fair price.

This was further verified by the different lenders when the properties valued up.

I am not someone who is easily convinced but I am happy to say that I have now purchased 2 properties from Niro. Investment Rise managed the construction process for me and the properties rented very quickly. I’ve already tapped into equity on one of them and Niro is now helping me with my 3rd property. I’ve also recommended my parents and a friend to him, both of whom have purchased a property through him and have been very happy with his service.

Has anyone else here actually dealt with Niro from Investment Rise, apart from sending some emails? I would be keen to hear your actual experience.

I have to admit, I am glad this thread was not around when I was Googling Niro, because, based on all the other comments here, I probably would not have enlisted his services, which in hindsight would have been my loss.

That is why I am posting this. I hope that anyone who finds this thread on Google, like I did, is not turned off enlisting Niro and his team because as far as I am concerned (and the person who referred me and the people I’ve since referred would agree), he’s one of the good guys.

Henry

Paul@PAS likes this.
  16. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Hi Henry,

That is a great endorsement.. But you have to understand the scepticism from a community of experienced property investors whenever a new 'property advisor' pops up.

Do you care to share some of these great deals that Niro has help you with?
    Endorsements are great, but seeing the actual numbers stack up is better.

willair, Phase2 and Jess Peletier like this.
  17. Henry

Henry Member

Connor,

I understand that many of the experienced property investors can find great opportunities yourselves. Not trying to convince you otherwise.

However, for someone like me who is time poor, can't afford to make a mistake and does not have the experience, I was glad to get some help. Otherwise, I'd have probably bought some Off the Plan unit somewhere (which I know many on this forum have also advised against) because that was all I could afford - and possibly got myself into lots of trouble with the changes in lending restrictions.

Instead I've now bought 2 houses in quick time (quicker than I ever thought possible) through Niro.

What was recommended to me was different to what was recommended to the people I referred to Niro. So I feel comfortable that I got a personalised recommendation on what was right for me - without any hard sell. Therefore, rather than sharing the numbers on the properties I was given, it's best that those who want to, find out more from Niro direct.

Thanks

18. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Ok so in summary.

@Lightie had provided figures from this guys recommendation that seem to be way overpriced.

@cheesebites has, as you have suggested, asked for more information and examples of his deals. Which they have received no response to.

You have given a glowing endorsement, but aside from buying 2 houses, no one reading has any idea whether they were great deals, or whether you've made any $$, returns or anything.
    Now obviously it's your choice whether to share the numbers or not. But endorsing something without anything to back it up really doesn't carry any weight. And as you say, being inexperienced in property investing, how do you know how great these deals he's done for you actually are?

19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its a start - One opinion that doesnt seem to seem like its self prepared !!

20. cheesebites

Hi,

I got emailled to say you tagged me in on this. Sorry about the lack of reply.

I did hear back from him, but rather than answer any of my questions, he instead gave me the details of one of his clients as a referal.

This is where it got kind of interesting.

This client stated that they had been happy with him since his days at Votiva. The client explained that Niro told them that Votiva was closing and he had the companies blessing to take his clients with him and start a new business. In July this client received an email stating that Niro was no longer with the business.

So I did some more searching, and nothing much comes up except a link confirming he once worked at Votiva Finance.

Australian Broker magazine Issue 9.17

I also found this: Niro Thambipillay | Investment Prime | ZoomInfo.com which confirms he once worked at Votiva, as well as spruiking himself at an Internet Marketing Guru and Motivational Speaker.

I went back to Niro and asked him about Votiva, only to be told "I am not at liberty to discuss that".

I thought it was strange however that he does not acknowledge them on his LinkedIN as a previous employer. Take from that what you will.

I have ceased communication with him, as I do feel uneasy about what is unfolding.

Personally I am still reading, and learning a lot about property investment, and still yet to "dip my feet in the pool", but I am in no hurry.

There may well be nothing untoward about him, and I am in no way implying that, but to me, something does not add up.